Muskie in Red River?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.times-online.com/content/muskie-fish-program-go

- - - Updated - - -

"Hey, we should keep making ND more and more like MN." . . . . . .. . . .said no one ever;:;badidea

I am certainly NOT a proponent of mimicking Minnetucky in ANY fashion, but there are several scholarly (and some politically biased) articles out there that suggest muskie don't really like walleye if there's something softer to eat.

In that sense, Sakakawea is a great destination for muskie. Goldeye capitol of the area should provide lots of fodder for the muskies. Hell, maybe they'll even eat some of those titty-sprinkling smallies!

- - - Updated - - -

MuskyManiac,

You would be wrong if you think Minnetucky tittysprinkleheads are only coming from the border towns. It ain't just the Hmong that come up from the cities. Some of ND's finer small lakes in south-central ND have a diehard Minnetuckian following. And they ain't from Moorhead, I've talked with enough to know they come from all the different precincts of Hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a vary small amount. I can't think of any main musky lake in ND that drain's into her. Oahe on the other hand has atleast a couple musky lakes in ND that drain into it but would still be vary rare.

New Johns and ????.

FWIW, NJ doesn't discharge into the Missouri River but every few years. It gets "flushed" every few years to help prevent it from becoming the alkaline body of water it was before the canal system.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a ridiculous comparison, musky are fresh water fish, and like I said it is the fastest growing segment of freshwater fishing today...not some "fetish" as you say. Just because you don't like to fish for musky doesn't mean others wouldn't like the opportunity in their home state where we pay taxes just like you. The G&F can manage for more than just deer and walleye! I'm fine starting with smaller lakes, but they have to have to have the right structure and forage to sustain the fishery.

If you think musky is going to hurt your walleye population you're just plain wrong. I've been hearing the same, stale argument for years, and the research is there to disprove that. Some of the best musky lakes in MN are also some of the best walleye lakes, and it's not just the big lakes....Pelican and Detroit are both small and excellent walleye lakes.

And all the MN fishermen you see in ND are most likely from the boarder towns. It's laughable that you think hoards of MN fishermen are going to invade the state for walleye. I can name 10 lakes around just the Detroit Lakes area alone that are WAY more fun to fish than Devil's. Not only can you catch larger walleye more consistently, but you can catch smallmouth, largemouth, sunfish, crappie, ect.

Enslow help me out. Musky please take a good look at the people that come to devils. Wi ia mn. They are all 200 plus miles. I talk to alot of them. They come to nd to catch and keep. Ia must not have one damn lake in it worth a shit. I have said this before. Pelican. Pelican bay has won more tournaments and $$$ than any mn lake. It holds at one time 20x the number of fish in overpriced overrated jet ski I'd to foam Pelican lake mn.

- - - Updated - - -

Save a walleye 60595.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am glad that the G&F still selects a small number of lakes and stocks them with muskie. Especially the canal chain. Place produces some giants. Walleye fisherman have every lake, river and puddle to call there own, God forbid a couple lakes have muskie in them. Please G&F don't stop stocking New Nohns with muskie.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told by an old timer many years ago that Lake Williams (east of Tuttle) had musky in it. Don't know if it has any still but it did years ago. This guy fished at least 300 days a year. Never met anyone like him. Real nice guy but ALL he could talk was fishing!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few years ago caught about a 5 inch long muskie on the Red in Wahpeton. Was a real monster I tell you, buddy gave me a pretty hard time cause that was our only fish of the day and it was basically an accidental catch.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
says the guy named "musky maniac".;) I personally would rather catch 4-8lb pike all day VS. 10,000 casts & possible a follow up. To each there own.
North Dakota for sure needs more musky lakes, particularly in the Eastern part of the state. Musky fishing is the fastest growing segment of freshwater fishing today and North Dakota is sorely lacking on giving residents an opportunity to fish musky in the state.

It's about giving ALL North Dakota residents the ability to pursue the fish of their choice.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
says the guy named "musky maniac".;) I personally would rather catch 4-8lb pike all day VS. 10,000 casts & possible a follow up. To each there own.

It only takes catching one musky to hook some people on musky fishing forever, V!

When you see a 4 1/2 foot fish come in boatside with its mouth wide open and eat your lure right in front of you, there is not much else like it. #$%^&>

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am certainly NOT a proponent of mimicking Minnetucky in ANY fashion, but there are several scholarly (and some politically biased) articles out there that suggest muskie don't really like walleye if there's something softer to eat.

In that sense, Sakakawea is a great destination for muskie. Goldeye capitol of the area should provide lots of fodder for the muskies. Hell, maybe they'll even eat some of those titty-sprinkling smallies!

- - - Updated - - -

MuskyManiac,

You would be wrong if you think Minnetucky tittysprinkleheads are only coming from the border towns. It ain't just the Hmong that come up from the cities. Some of ND's finer small lakes in south-central ND have a diehard Minnetuckian following. And they ain't from Moorhead, I've talked with enough to know they come from all the different precincts of Hell.

- - - Updated - - -

New Johns and ????.

FWIW, NJ doesn't discharge into the Missouri River but every few years. It gets "flushed" every few years to help prevent it from becoming the alkaline body of water it was before the canal system.

They have that gate open for a few weeks most years and it leads straight to the river via painted woods. The other lakes are west park, east park, heckers and Audubon plus any that went down stream from sweetbrier before they stop stocking it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
MM.

So would you consider Audubon a serious sleeper destination?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Audobon was stocked with tiger muskie. They just don't seem to get as big. Fished New Johns a bunch for skies and the biggest tiger I caught in there was a twelve pounder. The pure strains were all big with some real giants. In some systems tigers can get big but not as big as the pures. Also as much as I fish smallies at Audo around the islands I would have expected to catch more tigers up there. We have only caught one small one.

- - - Updated - - -

I think tiger muskie stocking is a waste of time. Stock pures only I say.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They stocked pure strain in there about 25yrs ago and again this year. The boy and I have the same experience as you. I believe they're eaten by pike shortly after being introduced. In my home river the problem was reversed.

- - - Updated - - -

Spawning times are another issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Fingerling pike are able to eat muskie fry.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Audubon is to young to be a sleeper just yet. Only the first couple year classes are getting up to any size yet and still a few years before any slobs will be posable. Not sure how hard they are to catch in there since I normally don't fish it but did once last year. Pitched for muskie for about 20 mins and caught a 6 pound tiger so it's clearly not impossible. State record tiger is 40 pounds and that's only 6 pounds less then the pure which have now been stocked for three years. With Audubons amount of perfect sized food for them and insane amount of structure i have to believe she will become by far the best in the state but that's probably 10 years out still.

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to get a few tiger's on Devils during the 90's when the water was coming up. Probably 5-6 every summer for a while, haven't seen one in quite a while. Mid 90's I did catch 3-4 pure musky off the dock one night, they were all only about 8-9 inches long. First ones I had seen there and haven't seen any since. Not sure how many people are getting them here recently, but I gotta believe they are around.

The last thing we need is for somebody to get a giant and the word to travel east.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74