Muskie in Red River?

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read in the Game and Fish's Fishing the Red River publication that there's muskie in the river. Has anyone ever caught one?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard of them caught in the Sheyenne and Wild Rice rivers so they must be.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you supposed to report any muskie catches out of the Red to G&F?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does he figure there are no good muskie lakes in ND. Just because they are not in the red river valley doesn't mean they don't exist! Muskies stocking has never stopped in central North Dakota.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't need muskies in ND lakes. Especially Ashtabula. Bad idea.

North Dakota for sure needs more musky lakes, particularly in the Eastern part of the state. Musky fishing is the fastest growing segment of freshwater fishing today and North Dakota is sorely lacking on giving residents an opportunity to fish musky in the state.

It's about giving ALL North Dakota residents the ability to pursue the fish of their choice.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 15 years ago I had a goofy feeling hit on a cat line. When I set the hook the line went slack and right behind the boat to my astonishment a huge musky came up and gave me a tail dance before diving in and cutting my line. No question what it was, I only wish I had been able to land it.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats cool Captainbrad, I know the Minnesota DNR says they're in there, but density is super low. I think any musky in the Red have to come from Minnesota, don't they?

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
In that case I want swordfish stocked so I can fulfill my swordfish fetish. the guberment needs to please everyone dontcha know. I can see in certain lakes where other game fish don't take well or establishing a few lakes for musky but I don't think they want to get too carried away. musky fishing is about the last thing MN has that isn't completely F-d. cant we just let them have this one? 83% of the there fisherman are already fishing ND for eyes. we don't want the other 17% here looking for muskies too. plus a lot of the lakes at least in the central part of the state are over run with 2-3 lb pike already.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats cool Captainbrad, I know the Minnesota DNR says they're in there, but density is super low. I think any musky in the Red have to come from Minnesota, don't they?

There was a huge musky landed in the Red Lake River back in I think 2000 or 2001. It was in the Grand Forks Herald. My guess is they got in through the Red Lake or Ottertail Rivers.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 15 years ago I had a goofy feeling hit on a cat line. When I set the hook the line went slack and right behind the boat to my astonishment a huge musky came up and gave me a tail dance before diving in and cutting my line. No question what it was, I only wish I had been able to land it.

Interesting you say that. River pike over here are the same way. No matter if it's in a boat or from shore if you see your line go slack you know there is a good chance when you set the hook all you will get is a sinker back.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
In that case I want swordfish stocked so I can fulfill my swordfish fetish. the guberment needs to please everyone dontcha know. I can see in certain lakes where other game fish don't take well or establishing a few lakes for musky but I don't think they want to get too carried away. musky fishing is about the last thing MN has that isn't completely F-d. cant we just let them have this one? 83% of the there fisherman are already fishing ND for eyes. we don't want the other 17% here looking for muskies too. plus a lot of the lakes at least in the central part of the state are over run with 2-3 lb pike already.

That is a ridiculous comparison, musky are fresh water fish, and like I said it is the fastest growing segment of freshwater fishing today...not some "fetish" as you say. Just because you don't like to fish for musky doesn't mean others wouldn't like the opportunity in their home state where we pay taxes just like you. The G&F can manage for more than just deer and walleye! I'm fine starting with smaller lakes, but they have to have to have the right structure and forage to sustain the fishery.

If you think musky is going to hurt your walleye population you're just plain wrong. I've been hearing the same, stale argument for years, and the research is there to disprove that. Some of the best musky lakes in MN are also some of the best walleye lakes, and it's not just the big lakes....Pelican and Detroit are both small and excellent walleye lakes.

And all the MN fishermen you see in ND are most likely from the boarder towns. It's laughable that you think hoards of MN fishermen are going to invade the state for walleye. I can name 10 lakes around just the Detroit Lakes area alone that are WAY more fun to fish than Devil's. Not only can you catch larger walleye more consistently, but you can catch smallmouth, largemouth, sunfish, crappie, ect.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure sakakawea would have musky? I've never caught any, but would think they would be in there

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If eastern ND gets muskies stocked I'm going to go broke buying Mason/Kerr jars.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure sakakawea would have musky? I've never caught any, but would think they would be in there

Maybe a vary small amount. I can't think of any main musky lake in ND that drain's into her. Oahe on the other hand has atleast a couple musky lakes in ND that drain into it but would still be vary rare.

joshw

I was fishing with my friend yesterday on the red lake in between Fisher and grand forks. And I had a little Catfish on and all of the sudden my line started peeling of like a pike would do I got it next to the bank and sure enough it was a muskie around 40 inches but we wernt able to grab the fish cause I wouldn't fit in the net and by the time we could grab it, it snapped the line. We've had stuff like this happen before with walleyes and getting them to shore and thereel is nothing left but the head.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a ridiculous comparison, musky are fresh water fish, and like I said it is the fastest growing segment of freshwater fishing today...not some "fetish" as you say. Just because you don't like to fish for musky doesn't mean others wouldn't like the opportunity in their home state where we pay taxes just like you. The G&F can manage for more than just deer and walleye! I'm fine starting with smaller lakes, but they have to have to have the right structure and forage to sustain the fishery.

If you think musky is going to hurt your walleye population you're just plain wrong. I've been hearing the same, stale argument for years, and the research is there to disprove that. Some of the best musky lakes in MN are also some of the best walleye lakes, and it's not just the big lakes....Pelican and Detroit are both small and excellent walleye lakes.

And all the MN fishermen you see in ND are most likely from the boarder towns. It's laughable that you think hoards of MN fishermen are going to invade the state for walleye. I can name 10 lakes around just the Detroit Lakes area alone that are WAY more fun to fish than Devil's. Not only can you catch larger walleye more consistently, but you can catch smallmouth, largemouth, sunfish, crappie, ect.

I would rather the g&f stock the puss out of some lakes with panfish...granted catching a Pickler would be great but gotta love the panfish too. Walleyes are easy to get out here!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76