Musky VS Walleye battle in MN

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's even more funny is that this Dave Majkrzak doesn't even fish, and get this, he's the inventor of the weed roller, a product that destroys fish habitat. No wonder he doesn't like the MN DNR.

FM Walleyes Unlimited are 100% behind the musky guys on this fight too, and if you look at the weights of their annual torney on Pelican you can see there are no problems with the walleye population on this lake. It comes down to the fact that some homeowners on this prestigious lake don't like other people using "their" lake.

- - - Updated - - -

A short interview with Jerry Sondag, a resident and musky guide on Pelican.

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/mike-mcfeely-show/983/jerry-sondag/

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What u have is a bunch of Sotas come over and fish nd lake Pelican as the mn dnr stocks fry that never makes it past the first sunfish that takes a chomp. Eos. A gator is a gator they eat whatever moves 20150912_111845_001.jpg

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would venture to guess a lot more ND residents fish Minnesota than the other way around. People travel all over the country to fish Devil's Lake, not just Minnesota. A lot of TV shows both summer and winter are now filmed in Devil's. They're trying to attract tourists.

Walleye fishing is far from dead in Minnesota.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebra mussels make the lake clear because they filter algae from the water. That makes it easier to see fish, but it also makes fish like walleye more wary. And with more light penetrating the water, more plants grow.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebra mussels make the lake clear because they filter algae from the water. That makes it easier to see fish, but it also makes fish like walleye more wary. And with more light penetrating the water, more plants grow.

you better cite your source.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hold that every fish has its place. I have never understood the holy grail status that a musky has achieved; luckily our game and fish has the same thought process. Imo the limit should be know different then it's cousin the northern same with size restrictions etc. Why do they even need to stock em? How many keep a
Musky with the current regs in place. And why stock fingerlings when u don't stock walleye fingerlings. Mn walleye have been exploited for years; over the past 15 years mn woke up and started regulations but if look at some of those lakes they still are being exploited. Mn still hasn't figured out that they have the most liberal limits. Dnr is a poltical machine vs game fish management

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pelican, cormorant, detroit lake, and many others have excellent walleye fishing for good sized fish. Night time is the right time to catch them trolling cranks. As far as destroying fish habitat that is terrible and cabin owners doing so should be hit hard by the DNR. Most of the cabin owners that fish, fill their freezers in ND and have their cheese dip eating parties at their lake homes.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hold that every fish has its place. I have never understood the holy grail status that a musky has achieved; luckily our game and fish has the same thought process. Imo the limit should be know different then it's cousin the northern same with size restrictions etc. Why do they even need to stock em? How many keep a
Musky with the current regs in place. And why stock fingerlings when u don't stock walleye fingerlings. Mn walleye have been exploited for years; over the past 15 years mn woke up and started regulations but if look at some of those lakes they still are being exploited. Mn still hasn't figured out that they have the most liberal limits. Dnr is a poltical machine vs game fish management

Couldn't be any further from the truth. Have to fight for all the musky stocking that is done. There are 100 lakes in Minnesota managed for muskies and people want to reduce that. A lot of misconception about the musky, and you just proved my point! Muskies and northern are NOT the same fish, and population density between the two are not even comparable.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would venture to guess a lot more ND residents fish Minnesota than the other way around. People travel all over the country to fish Devil's Lake, not just Minnesota. A lot of TV shows both summer and winter are now filmed in Devil's. They're trying to attract tourists.

Walleye fishing is far from dead in Minnesota.

You really think more ND people fish MN than the other way around? Oh boy...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahhh The good old fashioned 'Merican values of sue those who trespass against you. The last paragraph is probably 99.99% spot on, and funny.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct me where I am wrong musky maniac. I lived on a lake that was within the vicinity of both Detroit lakes Pelican beers etc for 27 years never once seen a musky kept or cleaned. I fished for them again never kept one. Tell me why they rate up at the top over any other fish? Politics and brain washing. I have caught northern musky and barracuda they are all gators imo. Fun to catch but none worthy of the holy grail no more than any other fish

Newgard

Founding Member
Founding Member
The difference between Pike and Muskies is that Muskies are a very low density predator fish. Where the Pike as we all know are very prolific in their spawning. The combination of having a very low population of fish in the lake along with them spawning last allows all of the other fish chance to prey on them as food when they are young of the year. Although a short window, a window nonetheless. Having these large fish in the system benefits all of the species. They help to keep balance to a ecosystem so they aren't overrun with hammerhandle pike everywhere. I've read studies that outline that lakes with muskies in them have a smaller pike population along with a larger size average. Muskies are good for any system science and data proves it.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is incredible:

"We have people reporting a muskie laying under a dock. Sitting there like an alligator under a dock," he said. "And with the clear water you see 'em under there. Ask your granddaughter to go dangle her toes in the lake when you've got a 5-foot fish under the dock."

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is incredible:

"We have people reporting a muskie laying under a dock. Sitting there like an alligator under a dock," he said. "And with the clear water you see 'em under there. Ask your granddaughter to go dangle her toes in the lake when you've got a 5-foot fish under the dock."

If a musky attacks your granddaughter, just tell her to stick her fist down its throat

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok just read the article. it appears the retardation level is high in ottertail county

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71