Musky VS Walleye battle in MN

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
"But to me, there is nothing better than catching multiple species of fish surrounded by awesome scenery"

The thing I like about Devil's is that every inch of shoreline isn't developed like most of the lakes around Detroit Lakes. I know there's nice, scenic lakes in Minnesota, but they're getting to be fewer and fewer.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice copy and paste from www.muskytroubles.com!

You don't think they're biased at all, do you shorthairsrus? :::

Always the same arguments that just don't hold up to most of the facts and science out there. Sure, you can always find something to support any argument, but time and time and study after study shows musky and walleye get along just fine.

From what I can tell you fish Devil's all the time. Have you fished Pelican (MN) for walleye? Have you fished anywhere in MN for musky? Perhaps if walleye anglers practiced more catch-and-release they wouldn't have to blame other fish and other fishermen for their problems. What happens when Devil's Lake declines and there are no musky to blame?!?!?!
Ndgf stocked 4 million fingerlings into sak in. One year. Try that in mil lacs

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
My point with lida is that one needs to question the dnr and the lake association did so and the fishery responded.. .not that I am against muskullenge

Yes, questioning is good. One thing about Lida is it is not a stocked lake by the DNR.

Ndgf stocked 4 million fingerlings into sak in. One year. Try that in mil lacs

Meaning it wouldn't work? I think they're going to try stocking in Mille Lacs next year, but they are thinking now that the young walleye are not making it because of predation by other walleye and the smallmouth, not musky. And of course the netting during spawning is a big factor.

I believe I heard something where MN is considering liberal new limits for smallmouth on Mille Lacs. So now they're going to ruin a world-class smallmouth fishery as well.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
MuskyManiac -- I have no issue with musky guys, you or the fish or the fun of it all. Like I said I have fished DL and Pelican on the MN side for the species and caught and it was fun. I am just taking the other side of it. One last comment by me on this issue. Its interesting over the 9 year period ---- about 7500 musky fingerlings were dropped into pelican paid for by the tax payer and license holder. 65000 walleye fingerlings were dropped into pelican paid by the lake association. I wonder what the status of the lake would be if the fingerlings were not stocked and it relied on DNR fry stockings only. The guide who commented in the forum article is primarily a musky guide, his credibility is no better than the weed roller guy. I believe if pelican was managed like Lida (crappie and walleye) add to that reduce the limit. I would have no problem with dumping more musky in. Give em all a chance including the "non taxpayer paid finergerlings"

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have used the term "walleye snob" on occasion. Generally referring to the guys smacking other fish on the head, also referring to guys who ae only happy when the boat sets the hook for them. However after reading: [FONT=Lora, serif]"Our people are talking about selling their lake places," he said. "We had one couple say, 'We can't catch a walleye on this lake anymore, we're going to sell our lake place and move someplace else.' We've had people that have talked about protesting at the landing site."[/FONT]

I have apparently never met a real walleye snob, holy crap.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice copy and paste from www.muskytroubles.com!

You don't think they're biased at all, do you shorthairsrus? :::.net

Always the same arguments that just don't hold up to most of the facts and science out there. Sure, you can always find something to support any argument, but time and time and study after study shows musky and walleye get along just fine.

From what I can tell you fish Devil's all the time. Have you fished Pelican (MN) for walleye? Have you fished anywhere in MN for musky? Perhaps if walleye anglers practiced more catch-and-release they wouldn't have to blame other fish and other fishermen for their problems. What happens when Devil's Lake declines and there are no musky to blame?!?!?!

If I could thumbs up this post three times I would. True'r words have never been spoken. Walleye fishermen for the most part keep every "eater" walleye they catch then scratch their head when all they can catch are dinks. Must be the muskies. Walleye fishermen are their own worst enemy. Look in the mirror.

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stocking a non-native species in other lakes ....... is that AIS???

Stocking of muskies in MN is just fine if they were native to the lake to begin with IMHO. You can make all the arguments you "Muskie" guys want but muskies have to eat something so yes they, stocked muskies, are changing the lake eco system.

My contention is why should a lake association have any more say than the general public concerning public waters? Also, there is no doubt in MN that Muskie fisherman have a lot of pull with the DNR. Why else would the DNR impose a minimum size to harvest on a muskie at 54"?
I have a friend and his boy that have fished muskies for years and years and have caught tons of them but only 1 has been at the 54" size or bigger. The DNR along with the muskie guys want catch and release only.

I wonder how what percentage of licensed anglers in MN fish for muskies and what percent of the DNR budget gets used for muskie management/stocking???

Newgard

Founding Member
Founding Member
MuskyManiac -- I have no issue with musky guys, you or the fish or the fun of it all. Like I said I have fished DL and Pelican on the MN side for the species and caught and it was fun. I am just taking the other side of it. One last comment by me on this issue. Its interesting over the 9 year period ---- about 7500 musky fingerlings were dropped into pelican paid for by the tax payer and license holder. 65000 walleye fingerlings were dropped into pelican paid by the lake association. I wonder what the status of the lake would be if the fingerlings were not stocked and it relied on DNR fry stockings only. The guide who commented in the forum article is primarily a musky guide, his credibility is no better than the weed roller guy. I believe if pelican was managed like Lida (crappie and walleye) add to that reduce the limit. I would have no problem with dumping more musky in. Give em all a chance including the "non taxpayer paid finergerlings"

The muskies are not only paid for by tax dollars. The Fargo-Moorhead Muskies Inc also supplies resources such as food etc to grow these fish. I believe they also do buy X number of fish each year to alleviate the strain on DNR funds. They are a great club and do a lot for all kinds of fishing in West Central MN not just muskies. They are a asset to the fishing community as a whole. I'm also pretty confident that the MN DNR pays for the majority of the stocked walleye in Pelican and other lakes. We have a cabin on Crystal Lake just downstream from Pelican and about every year they propose an additional way to generate revenue to stock Crystal with walleyes. I'm all for it. I want to catch them on "my" lake. However the problem with stocking walleyes in these lakes without any real muskie population is the pike and bass. All we are doing is feeding hammer handles and bass. Very expensive meals btw. If we have a balance of large predator fish to keep the smaller hammer handles and bass in check we will have quality fishing for all species. Which is what the DNR studies indicate on Pelican and other muskie waters. If not you see a system such as Crystal where you catch small hammer handles all day with limited forage fish. There is basically ZERO perch left in the lake because of the small pike decimating the population.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Newgard see dnr stocking they state privately paid. Dnr does not stock walleye fingerlings

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1444236396117.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59