My stream is weak (new impeller time?)

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
My yamaha 4 stroke kicker motorhas a stream like it was drinkin beer all night, however, my 96 mercury 150 has the kind of stream you have right before a long drive when you dont really gotta go, but you go anyway so you dont have to pull over.

Its always had kind of a weak stream, just wondering if thats normal on those motors, or if i put a new impeller in it will start flowing like hes had too much free keg beer?

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
My yamaha 4 stroke kicker motorhas a stream like it was drinkin beer all night, however, my 96 mercury 150 has the kind of stream you have right before a long drive when you dont really gotta go, but you go anyway so you dont have to pull over.

Its always had kind of a weak stream, just wondering if thats normal on those motors, or if i put a new impeller in it will start flowing like hes had too much free keg beer?

Time for a new impeller. Went out with my Father today and his 40hp starting alarming at him. Stream was a little weak but got us thru the day. He said he will be changing it out. Last year had the same issue with my 225 merc changed out the pump and it has a steady stream of a 21 year old during 2 for 1's. Not sure if you fish the river. But if you do about every 2 to 3 years is pretty typical depending on how much you run you boat. If you spend more time on the lakes you tend to have less sand going thru the impeller and can get another year or two out of them. But this once again on how many hours u put on the boat also.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing a Mercury mechanic told me 40 years ago was to never, as in not ever start your outboard without water on the impeller. I will never even bump the starter with the impeller dry.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give it some Flo-Max. Works for me! :;:rockit

Beat me to it!

I've got a old black max 135. It takes a while to piss but once she's warmed up it comes out pretty strong. It's been pretty obviose when ever my impeller starts to get weak or I've pumped threw to much sand.

Is it a new to you boat? I'd say new impeller if still week the thermostat may need replacing.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, not new, had the boat for 8 or so years. Stream has always been the same, takes a few seconds after start up to flow and always half the strength of my yamaha's stream

- - - Updated - - -

One thing a Mercury mechanic told me 40 years ago was to never, as in not ever start your outboard without water on the impeller. I will never even bump the starter with the impeller dry.
I agree, i never start unless the motor is submerged. In the winter i just trim it down untilthe water stops draining out, i never start it dry.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats flo-max? I search all over online and all i can find is a prostate medication.....or was that the point? You guys are assholes! I was thinking it was like a calcium n mineral deposit solution.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a thermostat got me twice.

overheated from weeds one day, weak stream

got home, changed impeller - original 10 yr old impeller was like new - hmmmm...

put it on muffs... still weak - took it apart to make sure I did it right ;:;banghead

still weak

after much internetting I find it's likely thermostat

dug thermostat out in like two munites (very easily accessed compared to impeller)

thermostat was corroded and had stuck open - it was dumping water back into lake instead of forcing it through cooling system under pressure

cleaned it with vinegar - tested for proper function on stove top - worked fine

on muffs and on water - great stream - yay - it's fixed

the next weekend out at the lake it's back to weak stream ;:;banghead

ordered new thermostat and replaced the cleaned one

good ever since.

;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I went to a boat maintenance seminar in AZ a few years back and the Mercury guy said they recommended replacing the impeller every few years!?! Seemed overkill to me, but I replaced it in my original 13 year old Yamaha and the old one was pretty worn but still worked.
They claimed the more you use the boat the better it was for the rubber impellers. Worst thing is to park them in the heat. So if your wife says you are fishing too much, tell her it’s purely to prolong the impeller life! Yours too, maybe! Hah!
The heat and disuse, esp in Arizona made them sag and go out of round and rot. Sandbars apparently sandblast them pretty well, too, though I’ve hit more than my fair share!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guess who now keeps a spare thermostat in his boat - along with 500 lb of other stuff I don't use daily?

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your pee tube first sometimes it's just plugged up. Had a rock in mine and ended up replacing the pump for no reason.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your pee tube first sometimes it's just plugged up. Had a rock in mine and ended up replacing the pump for no reason.

And cue the kidney stone jokes.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51