ND Game & Fish

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing, saying the line is long to get land into these programs is based on what. At House Bill 1399, Lloyd Jones (USFWS) repeated that line and was called out to produce the list. He said it is confidential. When pressed he admitted a lot of it was phone call inquiries.

I did that. Some land was for sale and I inquired about all the programs and was going to turn it all over to habitat. It didn't pencil. Using every program out there wouldn't make the payment and interest. Not even close. Shit canned the idea.

But I am guilty of making an inquiry and adding to that list of interested landowners. People have it in their heads the list is long and there is more interest than there is money. I wonder whomever gave them that idea?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you didn't get a tag for 6 straight years but you were supposed to have 9 points but then it was supposed to be 6 and you didn't put in this year because you got a check back last year and you only had 1 point AND you hadn't been drawn for 4 straight years.

No wonder you don't know how many points you should or shouldn't have.

Thats a mathematical equation even Einstein couldn't figure out! But that was hilariously funny post!:;:thumbsup

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
CRP should have been kept to the original idea but too many on all sides took it too far. At it's very basic level it was intended to take those lands that never should have been broken up to begin with out of production. To decrease erosion, improve water quality, improve commodity prices from more productive lands, etc.

Then people start abusing it by putting highly productive lands into it to draw a steady income, buying it and using it as investment or recreational uses, wanting to hay it every year, etc. etc.

On the other side you have the idiot orgs wanting to protect every field mouse produced on it, not willing to give a little here or there as far as grazing or haying, looking to keep it open for other uses, etc. etc.

Basically it comes down to people being their usual selves, selfish pricks! ;)

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did they happen to post the results of the lottery? meaning break down of each unit and % drawn with preference. I see someone posted one for 1 unit

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously paying a kid $100 to go arrow your deer for you because you don't bow hunt? What the hell is that teaching that kid.
to be a good shot because there is $100 on the line;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

I thought silver bullets were used for killing werewolves kdm.
hell I thought they were for drinking

- - - Updated - - -

So you didn't get a tag for 6 straight years but you were supposed to have 9 points but then it was supposed to be 6 and you didn't put in this year because you got a check back last year and you only had 1 point AND you hadn't been drawn for 4 straight years.

No wonder you don't know how many points you should or shouldn't have.
jesus now you got yourself all confused. don't try to confuse the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing it was a native grass - which cows would eat if they get hungry enough but won't with legumes available.

Kinda like kids - they'll eat dang near anything unless there's unlimited treats around.
native grass? that's fricken racist

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another question, does your PP weigh into the 2nd round of the lottery for your next choice?

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
took me 9 points to get my 4c buck tag but I expected it to take some time. Just wish they would let a person get a tag and then it could be up to you how you want to hunt. Bow, muzzy, rifle your choice. Then extra tags could be purchased after everyone gets a chance at one. Didn't happen this year but there have been years I got a deer with bow, rifle and muzzy and my brother who only rifle hunts doesn't get anything. could spread the tags around more?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did they happen to post the results of the lottery? meaning break down of each unit and % drawn with preference. I see someone posted one for 1 unit

Email Randy Miesner at GNF for the unit your interested in.

No the PP are only for the first lottery and first choice tags.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing, saying the line is long to get land into these programs is based on what. At House Bill 1399, Lloyd Jones (USFWS) repeated that line and was called out to produce the list. He said it is confidential. When pressed he admitted a lot of it was phone call inquiries.

I did that. Some land was for sale and I inquired about all the programs and was going to turn it all over to habitat. It didn't pencil. Using every program out there wouldn't make the payment and interest. Not even close. Shit canned the idea.

But I am guilty of making an inquiry and adding to that list of interested landowners. People have it in their heads the list is long and there is more interest than there is money. I wonder whomever gave them that idea?
Well in SD I know there were 727 applications totaling 42,352 acres for crp during this last open enrollment.. The amout excepted was 2 for a whopping 101 acres so that sounds like a line to me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye,

I have no problem ethically with employing a kid to fill your tag. The potential problem, however remote; is providing the choice to lie or get fined. This could jeapordize the kid's future for a critical job should he/she be in the top running. I believe the law needs to be changed in this aspect. I would've loved to be a deer PH.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Well in SD I know there were 727 applications totaling 42,352 acres for crp during this last open enrollment.. The amout excepted was 2 for a whopping 101 acres so that sounds like a line to me.

101 acres doesn;t really sound like much of a legitimate program.

Perhaps it is a sign of how out of touch with reality that the Federal govt and their programs have gotten because of agendas driving their policies pushed by orgs behind the scenes.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye,

I have no problem ethically with employing a kid to fill your tag. The potential problem, however remote; is providing the choice to lie or get fined. This could jeapordize the kid's future for a critical job should he/she be in the top running. I believe the law needs to be changed in this aspect. I would've loved to be a deer PH.
look where it's gotten Hillary

- - - Updated - - -

I think you need to go back and re-read what you posted in this thread. You were all over the place.

I grouped them in a post a page or so back in the order that you posted them.
Don't make me spank you. I've been jerkin your ass since the beginning lol

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
101 acres doesn;t really sound like much of a legitimate program.

Perhaps it is a sign of how out of touch with reality that the Federal govt and their programs have gotten because of agendas driving their policies pushed by orgs behind the scenes.

I'm assuming that's 101 acres enrolled into CRP on top of the acres already enrolled (in 2014 SD had 900,000 acres enrolled in CRP). The 2015 Farm Bill reduced the CRP acreage cap to 24 million nationwide by 2017. That cap is 1.4 million acres less than the CRP acres enrolled in 2015.

Looks like there's a supply-and-demand thing going on. I'm not sure it indicates an "out-of-touch" government program when, apparently, your farmer buddies are more than willing to get their acres into it...

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm assuming that's 101 acres enrolled into CRP on top of the acres already enrolled (in 2014 SD had 900,000 acres enrolled in CRP). The 2015 Farm Bill reduced the CRP acreage cap to 24 million nationwide by 2017. That cap is 1.4 million acres less than the CRP acres enrolled in 2015.

Looks like there's a supply-and-demand thing going on. I'm not sure it indicates an "out-of-touch" government program when, apparently, your farmer buddies are more than willing to get their acres into it...

So almost 1 million acres in SD is not enough?

It would be interesting to know what percentage of those people applying are active producers and which are retired trying to enroll whole farms.

Have you looked at the requirements for lands enrolled in the CRP or similar programs at this point?

I am betting a high percentage of these applicants are retired and no longer care what restrictions are placed on their lands.

We looked to re enroll some land back in CRP that came out. WAAAAY different program and only portions were elgible. The restrictions that were part of the program were nothing we were interested in.

So I guess technically we were part of that group of people seeking enrollment that decided against it.

The simple fact is these programs need to be funded. This govt is going broke.

I admire your willingness to cough up $ 100 every year to do so but like I said before the reality is that gets maybe 2 acres covered in a dedicated 10 or 15 year program requiring funding every year.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
C'mon GST...nobody said anything about enough. I'm just stating facts. I think SD had a high of 1.5 million acres of CRP enrolled in the mid 2000s. So there's been a loss of more than a half million acres. And when 2 out of 727 offers are accepted totaling 101 acres of a possible 42,352...well...it would appear there's a demand for more acres enrolled. Despite these restrictions that are so prohibitive. Apparently folks other than yourself don't appear too dissuaded.

I'm with ya on the government spending. I think something like 80 percent of the last Farm Bill went to food stamps (about $756 billion). By comparison, crop insurance ($93 billion) and commodity programs ($40 billion) accounted for 15 percent of the entire bill. Ironic for something called the "Farm Bill" eh?

And then there is conservation, which at $56 billion is only 5.6 percent of the entire Farm Bill's budget. Pretty paltry compared to the rest, especially when the entire bill accounted for nearly $1 trillion in spending.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So almost 1 million acres in SD is not enough?

It would be interesting to know what percentage of those people applying are active producers and which are retired trying to enroll whole farms.

Have you looked at the requirements for lands enrolled in the CRP or similar programs at this point?

I am betting a high percentage of these applicants are retired and no longer care what restrictions are placed on their lands.

We looked to re enroll some land back in CRP that came out. WAAAAY different program and only portions were elgible. The restrictions that were part of the program were nothing we were interested in.

So I guess technically we were part of that group of people seeking enrollment that decided against it.

The simple fact is these programs need to be funded. This govt is going broke.

I admire your willingness to cough up $ 100 every year to do so but like I said before the reality is that gets maybe 2 acres covered in a dedicated 10 or 15 year program requiring funding every year.
I for one dont give two squirts of piss why they want to inroll it i just want more of it back and the wildlife it supported. Unfortunately this is one thing thats not going to happen in the 18 farm bill since the Republicans will never allow it just like the last time. Ironically I have no problem with welfare being paid out for wildlife just not so much for people! Hypocritical but atlest we get a positive return on our investment with the rural wildlife vs the ones that live in the urban jungle.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Well when a govt is going broke, there needs to be a conversation on what is enough revenues/acres put into some of these programs.

Blindly funding these programs while borrowing monies from other nations to fund things and continuing to raise the debt ceiling...............

There are some that claim this borrowing is collatoralized by our public lands...............

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31