ND Game & Fish

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What folks need to consider here is that there IS NO silver bullet when it comes to habitat. One can choose any specie of animal and that animal will use different habitats at different times throughout the year for different purposes. Deer will use CRP when it suits their needs, then sloughs, then wooded habitats, then pasture lands, then riverbottom. etc etc etc. Without ALL of these habitats to utilize, deer will have a more difficult time surviving mother natures whims and rampages. CRP helps, but only for a time. Good Thermal Cover is what is needed to get critters through the winter, but good thermal cover isn't necessarily good forage cover or good fawning cover or good loafing cover. Pheasants use CRP quite a bit, but when winter comes, I find more pheasants in sloughs and trees than I do CRP. Critters need all types of habitats to optimize survivability. When one type of habitat is missing, all the critters suffer a bit. Carry on!!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
To expand on what gst said. I got 1 bale of poor quality grass hay per acre and had to drive slow over it to not beat up my equipment. Land next door produced 4 bales.

Here's the deal. I purchased this land with CRP on it. The old fella put it in and got $25 an acre per year. I'm the guy dealing with the aftermath or effects. I have cut it and clipped it since 2008 to keep the wormwood from going to seed. The ground is still infested. I could have sprayed it but that would have killed all legumes leaving just the green needle grass that nothing will graze.

Soooo....maybe that's why the old guy you bought it from put it into CRP in the first place...?

I don't know what the nature boyz were thinking when they pushed these grasses.

I've tried to turn this into pasture and I'm done.

I was always told farmers were stewards of the land...true "nature boyz." But I'm assuming you refer to another party.

Good luck assimilating that land into something worthwhile. Hopefully it doesn't take as much effort as you think. Sounds like a bear.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought silver bullets were used for killing werewolves kdm.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
first off I had nine preference points and for like the sixth year in a row no tag. The system has to change.

Not what I said or meant wags. I went into this draw with 9 points. Have never applied for one of the mule deer zones. For the last six years Only 3A1. So the 100% for 7 points is not correct or as I suspect they are corrupt and give tags to whom they want to have them

I didn't even put in for a license this year lol. G&F screwed up my points for this year so I said screw it. I was supposed to have 6 points for this year but when I got my check back last year it said 1 point. So I called the clowns and they couldn't figure it out. I hadn't been draw for four straight years. So I just threw my hands up it really wasn't that important. If I get that damn hard up for deer sausage I'll just shoot a damn deer and make some. If I get busted then I'll just subpoena every damn record the G&F has just to piss em off.

So you didn't get a tag for 6 straight years but you were supposed to have 9 points but then it was supposed to be 6 and you didn't put in this year because you got a check back last year and you only had 1 point AND you hadn't been drawn for 4 straight years.

No wonder you don't know how many points you should or shouldn't have.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was awarded my 2nd choice for the lottery, does that mean I get a preference point, and the doe tag?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soooo....maybe that's why the old guy you bought it from put it into CRP in the first place...?

I was always told farmers were stewards of the land...true "nature boyz." But I'm assuming you refer to another party.

Good luck assimilating that land into something worthwhile. Hopefully it doesn't take as much effort as you think. Sounds like a bear.

The guy put it into CRP because he was older. But too old to effectively do something about the weeds. Farmers are good stewards but did not have a say in what types of grasses they could plant. Back in the 90's the theme was getting back to more native. They didn't even want the farmers mixing in alfalfa or legumes. It was a mistake.

Yes it's a bear. I didn't take my newer tractor out there. Hooked up a 1971 JD 4620 to the chisel plow. Has a heavy rear end in it. Lots of bucking bouncing and cussing.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
True, if you're paying cash rent rates. But the farmers now clamoring for CRP aren't exactly asking for top dollar, are they? Seems to me they want the going CRP rate payment just so they can get ahead, knowing full well they're going to lose money planting crops even before they put a seeder on the field.

How many people will accept less for CRP than they could get for cash rent?

Also, how long do you think these rental rates are going to stay at $50-$120/acre if commodity prices stay low? Something is going to give. You're already seeing it from the fools who gobbled up land when corn and soybeans were at record highs. Those smart old-timers who waited out the frenzy are picking up land from broke farmers for pennies on the dollar in some places...

Indeed it may...not really yet. There are other factors in much of ND impacting what people will pay for land rather than production. ie oil, gravel,outside dollars ect.

By all means, let's end the CRP program. But tell me: What would happen if a few million acres of once fallow land suddenly got into production? Would that hurt or help your bottom line? Be honest.

It already is impacting crop prices with some of the specialty crops like sunflowers ect. where it does not take large acres to impact supply.

True, and maybe that's where CRP has gone astray. Then again, I think there's different criteria on what land can be accepted into the program. Maybe it's not marginal, but it is close to waterways or is full of puddles and seasonal wetlands. Or it's some rare eastern long-stem prairie in the RRV that's home to meadowlarks and monarchs. I honestly have no clue. I imagine there's a lot that goes into picking the land, especially now when there is a lot more demand from farmers than there are acres allowed in the program. The feds get to be a bit more picky on what does or does not cut the CRP mustard.

CRP started oput as a good program and was hijacked. Now as a result you have far less interest in the limited acres theyu wish to enroll. And many acres submitted are not qualifying. We looked at putting some in and between the length of contract, stipulations and not including all the acres on a quartter it was not worth it.

That's up the landowner, isn't it? And from what I've seen, the few WMAs that are grazed are done so annually. Doesn't look like the cattle minds one bit, despite the fact it's full of weeds. Maybe you just have picky cows? :;:

I take it you have never baled CRP that is full of 15 years worth of mole hills. You come out of the tractor a different person than you went in by the end of the day. :) Are you an expert on what grasses constitute the most productive grazing? If not why argue? You do know the intent of grazing is to put pounds on calves and keep cows in condition to rebreed right? Different grasses impact that quite a bit.

Are you that expert? No? Then why argue?

Nope, a former Federal employee on here claims otherwise.

No arguing, just sharing a different perspective and a few facts.

I am not opposed to CRP if it is managed properly and not just a subsidized hunting program for people.;)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya Fritz. I dealt with the CRP program as well and have similar opinions about the selection of grasses one could plant. Urban Desk Jockeys in DC making decisions on what's best for the ag lands in ND when all they know about biology is that they had to take it in college to get their damned urban desk job.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Mr Slayer perhaps you missed this part?

"Land next door produced 4 bales."

Land that sits idle in CRP programs often takes a couple years to return to it's potential productivity.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously paying a kid $100 to go arrow your deer for you because you don't bow hunt? What the hell is that teaching that kid.

Bullshitting 101 and how to break laws and make money, it's actually a class at Mandan high

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya Fritz. I dealt with the CRP program as well and have similar opinions about the selection of grasses one could plant. Urban Desk Jockeys in DC making decisions on what's best for the ag lands in ND when all they know about biology is that they had to take it in college to get their damned urban desk job.

But they are "Trained". :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing it was a native grass - which cows would eat if they get hungry enough but won't with legumes available.

Kinda like kids - they'll eat dang near anything unless there's unlimited treats around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 271
  • This month: 225
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79