ND Mushrooms

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are some really neat things in the woods if you're looking.....

I found these recently. The yellow and the orange were random finds in the woods in Sheyenne Grasslands while hunting with my son. I don't know what either are, didn't eat them, and would welcome help identifying them.

The tan one grew in my backyard. I'm guessing shaggy mane - didn't eat it either, it was past its prime anyway.

My interest in foraging mushrooms has piqued, however I'm well aware of the risk/reward and I won't be trying anything until I truly educate myself. I have a keen interest in chicken of the woods now and would like to try it.....

Can anyone help identify the first two pictures?
Unknown2.jpg
Unknown1.jpg
ShaggyMane1.jpg

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both are American yellow fly agaric. One young, one old. That is a shaggy mane, hasn't even opened yet but looks dead

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt mushrooms for the simple fact that I can't 100% identify them. But I sure do see some odd looking ones out at my place under the right conditions. Puffballs I have aplenty, but there are an awful lot of others out there and some are really colorful.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive picked morels and a couple puff balls, ate the morels didnt dare eat the puffballs.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of these side articles you guys post make “shroomin” seem akin to skydiving without a parachute. Why does every delicious mushroom have 5 lookalikes that will make you high, puke or die. I’m sure I’m missing out on some delicious varieties but I’ll just stick to store bought

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of these side articles you guys post make “shroomin” seem akin to skydiving without a parachute. Why does every delicious mushroom have 5 lookalikes that will make you high, puke or die. I’m sure I’m missing out on some delicious varieties but I’ll just stick to store bought
Ruptured blood vessels in your eyes is a small price to pay for getting to eat mushrooms that taste a lot like store bought. :p

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know why but I just don't care for Chicken of the Woods. Literally tastes like chicken. I want mushroom flavor!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you really have to do your research. Lots of youtube videos on identification. Once you get it though you never really forget and it becomes quite easy to identify safe edible mushrooms. And insanely delicious.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me guess hen of the woods tastes like chicken and rooster of the woods makes you giggle like woody woodpecker and fall over and vomit...rofl...

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hen of the Woods,
hen.JPG
Grifola Fondosa, actually has an extremely rich mushroom flavor and is amazing. Here it is, grows at the base of old living oak trees in the fall. They're out right now.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do enjoy mushrooms so maybe you guys will be able to teach me some new tricks.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure I found a Shaggy Mane shroom today in the backyard. I'd post a pic but am leary of being on here past my curfew. Maybe I'll get to it later today.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was enjoying the pictures and was thinking about getting up at 4 or 5 and go foraging . Your just gonna leave this there till tomorrow ?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
20221003_131610.jpg

20221003_131543.jpg

Or maybe a Shaggy Inky Cap? I don't pick shrooms because I have a damn hard time figuring out what species I am looking at. Except for puffballs, them I know.

It's about 6 inches tall, and right where I left it.

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both mushrooms produce a black ink-like substance, and both have an elongated bullet-like shape when fresh, but the inky cap lacks the “shaggy” portions on the cap that help to positively identify shaggy manes. Shaggy manes usually grow singly, while inky caps are commonly found in groups.

This is a shaggy mane. I have never tried them. Something about the inky parts creeps me out LOL

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75