NDGF Issues Slot for Sak

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just saw on the Vanhook Facebook page that the NDGF plans to implement a slot limit on Sak because of the over harvest of spawning size walleyes the last few years. The slot will be 14-18”. I can’t believe the population is down that much but should be very good for future trophy fish!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
finally some common sense management. Oahe is tired of supplying all the big fish up there

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
DA65EB28-2F03-4844-A0DF-7F913B87C621.jpeg

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck, ND

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department has this issued a controversial press release with regard to the walleye fishery on Lake Sakakawea, Garrison Damn Project. Fisheries biologists have determined that the breeding stock for the walleye has been sorely depleted in the past four years due to overfishing - primarily do to the harvesting of the larger "breeding stock" fish.

The sudden and shocking plummet of walleye numbers in counts held this spring has led the NDGF to make an unprecedented decision to implement a slot limit for walleye fishing on Lake Sakakawea. The slot limit is a bold and decisive move meant to protect the walleye, our most precious game fish. For the next two years - walleye measuring 14" to 18" will be the only legal size walleye that may be landed and harvested - all other fish must be returned to the waters to ensure the propagation of the species.

The slot limit will be in effect for all tournaments held within the Garrison Dam project on Lake Sakakawea with the exception of catch and release tournaments. "People won't be happy about this, but we must protect our fishery" states Dawn Ritts, manager of Van Hook Resort located on the Van Hook Arm - one of Sakakawea's hottest fishing spots.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drive a jacked up truck because I'm well-endowed!

HAHAHA! April fools! I only drive stock! :eek:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16