NDGNF Survey

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Stop by the testing station and get your deer tested" they said.

"It'll help manage CWD" they said.

#dumb$hits

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a pony in the show here being from SD. There is CWD in the unit I hunt that borders ND unfortunately. I don't know that CWD will be controlled no matter what we do. I didn't read any of the questions, but having a stats/human dimension guy coming up with it isn't the end of the world. I'd rather have G & F take our opinions and thoughts rather than not. I think all the results should be public though. The social part of things is still an integral part of G & F management as perception is reality for most. In SD, is there a biological reason for a slot limit (our one over 20" rule)? No, absolutely not. But look at a thread like the Big Muddy and see what some people perceive and you can see why they receive pressure. And, it could be trying to understand how people dispose of game carcasses to see what human tendencies may play a part in spreading CWD. Unfortunately baiting is a part of that, right or wrong. I do agree that the G & F departments seem to be less and less open to constituent input, though they ask for it. Every time something gets forced through I think less and less of them.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think thats where people are at with GF agencies. i mean how many states have baiting bans. and i would venture to guess 0 of them have seen a reduction in CWD cases. so now were having a restriction maybe,( its likely coming) rammed down our throats when there is no evidence that a baiting ban works all being funded by taxpayers dollars whom the majority dont want it. yet they cant figure out why people are mad. it simply not a baiting ban its the entire process and still ramming it home and at the end of the day were paying their salaries.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with things being hammered down our throats. Experience that with the SDGFP too. Scientific, biological decisions should be the driving force of things, but the social aspect will always be there. I'd expect you should, if by pushing, get access to that survey if you really wanted once complete. The baiting thing is incredibly polarizing to me. Growing up in SD we have never been able to bait. It's frowned upon. But cross a line and the sentiment changes drastically. Such different thoughts and experiences from both states.

Where is the best place to get CWD info? I just did some interesting reading on cwd-info.org. Anything else out there, I'm interested to see some of it!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Stop by the testing station and get your deer tested" they said.

"It'll help manage CWD" they said.

#dumb$hits

"Stop by and get a Covid test" they said.

"It'll help manage Covid" they said.

However, when the numbers go up for people tested, then businesses have to be locked down. Whether they are testing people or deer, the monitoring, surveillance or testing is no cure. They cannot test their way out.

This survey is just more surveillance.

Has everyone seen the video of Rep. Jim Jordan going after Fauci and then Maxine Waters telling Jim Jordon to shut his mouth?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ma...n-fauci-erupts-shouting-match-shut-your-mouth

People are so tired of the encroachment.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know, is bait that big of an issue?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get maybe the same dozen or so deer that would stop by for a snack of few kernels of corn broadcast by my broadcast spreader.

They act as if feeders attract hundreds of deer to the same spot for months - not what happens in my experience - a guy would go broke

unlike certain spots in certain fields that attract many dozens in winter - for months on end

I just don't think it's a major route of transmission compared to natural behavior

whatever the transmission route truly is.... I don't think they know for sure

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get maybe the same dozen or so deer that would stop by for a snack of few kernels of corn broadcast by my broadcast spreader.

They act as if feeders attract hundreds of deer to the same spot for months - not what happens in my experience - a guy would go broke

unlike certain spots in certain fields that attract many dozens in winter - for months on end

I just don't think it's a major route of transmission compared to natural behavior

D0877BDE-5232-4FFC-B40A-E380C0B047B8.jpg
I think I figured it out

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member

I did some reading and it sounds like nobody thinks that baiting will stop CWD. But they are trying to reduce it through less contact. As you say, what do you do when there are hundreds of deer on hay or certain fields? They certainly get it through contact it looks like, based on a couple studies I read. But, deer contact each other and their food sources normally. So what do you do? That's really where the crux of the baiting debate is......will taking away that opportunity to bait reduce contact that wouldn't otherwise happen, and is that significant. It's kinda like the mask issue we've all debated through this COVID mess. Wait....maybe they need to get some masks on the deer? Now we're getting somewhere!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trax,
Looking on the bright side for you guys in South Dakota, at least with no baiting in the state, you for sure won't have to worry about CWD. :cool:
Hell, you guys might even miss out on the China virus. Oh that's right.....your governor had more balls than ours.

Fish On!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jerry Vaske is a stats guy from CSU. Human dimensions in natural resource management type stuff.

LOL, you said "Human Dimensions".

- - - Updated - - -

Q: How do we know this stuff hasn't been around for a millenia?

I think the "easy" answer to that is, well...easy. If it had been around for a millenia, we should probably have expected it to have somewhat spread over time. The evidence of where it spread out from is pretty obvious. There were pockets of CWD surrounded by similar levels of testing that found nothing for years and years, the spread of it is well documented via the testing.

We're a little off track here, but I read an article a while back that compared and contrasted CWD and BSE since they are fairly similar. At this point one of the biggest differences between the two is that BSE has a known problem for humans when we've eaten the contaminated animal. I do not put myself out there as prion based infectious disease expert, but since we know it can be transmitted via saliva, one of the great fears expressed was that if/when it does cross over to people, do we really want CWD infected animals leaving slobber on our food supplies (wheat, corn, sunflowers, lettuce, etc)?

Look at all the e-coli outbreaks and prepared salad recalls that have come from wild pigs grazing on our salad fields?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
What he said, Human Dimensions:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...imensions_of_Chronic_Wasting_Disease_Research

This Jerry Vaske must have received a generous grant to compile more stats. I read his whole web page and seven lessons learned. I think he he is studying people instead of the disease.

[h=2]Abstract[/h]
Although the human dimensions (HD) of chronic wasting disease (CWD) research is relatively new, at least 38 journal articles have been published in the last seven years. This article synthesizes seven lessons learned from HD of CWD research (e.g., hunters vary in their behavioral response to CWD and perceived human health risks; agency trust can influence behavior and acceptance of management actions; not all management actions are equally acceptable and/or effective). This body of work directly incorporates concepts found in social psychological, economics, communication and risk theories to better understand the beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors of multiple stakeholders (e.g., hunters, non-hunters, guide outfitters) across multiple states. The general approach utilized by human dimensions research on CWD can be applied to a variety of wildlife diseases. A systematic program of human dimensions inquiry is necessary to understand and prepare for the next wildlife disease crisis.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80