Need Rain!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got enough rain here in VC to make the deck damp, but boy could we use about 2-3 inches over 4 days. The ground is already starting to crack in the yard. The beans out front have been in the ground over a week now with nary a one poking through. Damn dandelions and thistles are doing just fine though. ;:;banghead

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard 2 inches in the Napoleon area. NR waterfowlers should start booking rooms now :;:thumbsup

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got about two inches in the yard but that might have been due to water being free here so I just let hose slow roll last night down the hill in my yard.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gauge right in DL showed right at .15 last night, Cando area and southeast of Cando had anyhwere from 1.5-3 inches last night. Coulees may be running a bit again today.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of standing water a4ound cattail this morning. Guy said they got two inches.

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
FSA won't renew my CRP. The land isn't worth tilling but I thought I might get a reasonable return on Possibly hemp or sorgum. All I want is enough cash flow to pay the taxes. No, I haven't taken out my tree rows but they need help.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FSA won't renew my CRP. The land isn't worth tilling but I thought I might get a reasonable return on Possibly hemp or sorgum. All I want is enough cash flow to pay the taxes. No, I haven't taken out my tree rows but they need help.
Rent it too some hunters.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure how this went from needing rain to blaming farmers for removing tree rows but I guess that's the nature of most discussions. I grew up on a farm that had several miles of tree rows. Lots of places on our farm there was a tree row every 40 rods or 1/8 of a mile. A whole bunch of 40 acre fields. Worked pretty good back then with 16' cultivators and other smaller machinery. Not so good now with 50-60' air-seeders, 100'+ sprayers and 40' swathers and combine headers.

That and our single row tree breaks never did hold much for wildlife. Occasionally saw a deer bedded in the summer and an occasional partridge, but never in the winter; to full of snow. Most of those tree rows are now gone as they eventually died and became a row of sticks. A lot of those tree rows were planted with a fast growing tree and typically a fast growing tree is not a very long life tree. I don't blame the farmer for removing most of those tree rows. With limited tillage land does not blow as easy as it did then. I know there were blowing fields this spring but for the most part it's not the problem it was years ago when everything was worked black if there was no crop growing. In the spring land is a little more fragile and that is precisely the reason this topic started. We need rain to get things growing in the spring and get that land covered. Rain in the spring benefits everyone as the grass gets off to a good start. Crops get going quickly and the air is cleaner.

In the end, just under an inch in the north central part of the state and that was somewhat scattered as a few miles away they maybe didn't get enough to wet the ground. A good rain statewide would make everyone feel better.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The city has already asked that residents cut back on watering lawns, and that odd numbered houses water on certain days and even numbered houses on the days that the odd numbered ones don't water. If it doesn't rain here in the next week, the crops that are planted will start to suffer big time, if it hasn't already hurt the yield. I think everyone should wash your cars and pickups to help get the rain started.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my lawn is going dormant, too much space to water on rural water rates. It's just going to die off and those pesky broadleaf thistle things will begin taking over. I guess it saves not having to spread 200lbs of fertilizer, too, since there isn't any moisture.

I bout $120 worth of saplings and then rented a gas-powered auger this past weekend. Couldn't get the bit to go deeper than 3" and the ground underneath was harder than a rock, cement like. My neighbor came over and both of us put both our body weight into pressure and it did nothing more. I was amazed! Took the auger back and thought I might as well roll the dice waiting for rainfall before I rent something again. Hope those saplings last 10 days in the mulch/dirt. Have to search for someone that has 3pt hitch and rent a beefy auger bit to get down 18"

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my lawn is going dormant, too much space to water on rural water rates. It's just going to die off and those pesky broadleaf thistle things will begin taking over. I guess it saves not having to spread 200lbs of fertilizer, too, since there isn't any moisture.

I bout $120 worth of saplings and then rented a gas-powered auger this past weekend. Couldn't get the bit to go deeper than 3" and the ground underneath was harder than a rock, cement like. My neighbor came over and both of us put both our body weight into pressure and it did nothing more. I was amazed! Took the auger back and thought I might as well roll the dice waiting for rainfall before I rent something again. Hope those saplings last 10 days in the mulch/dirt. Have to search for someone that has 3pt hitch and rent a beefy auger bit to get down 18"

Punch a nail hole in a 5 gallon pail and fill it with water and set it over the spot where you want to drill a hole. It will slowly drain out and soak the ground below the pail so you can drill easier.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Punch a nail hole in a 5 gallon pail and fill it with water and set it over the spot where you want to drill a hole. It will slowly drain out and soak the ground below the pail so you can drill easier.
And maybe drill a smaller hole like 1" to get the water down.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not presuming to think your not smart but just giving a comment out that I have experience in post hole diggers. That is to remove ALL vegetation with a spade before trying to use the auger bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps that means at least the first few inches of top soil beside the grass then you should be good to go

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few fields with tree rows. Anyone want to come clean up the ones that are dying and falling over. How about weed the ones we have planted and cut the fabric this summer?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A giant farmer just inherited my neighbors farm and tore out a beautiful row of oak trees and burnt them. I wish I knew what the value of a row of 50 year old oaks like that was worth. Very sad deal to see people disregard something like gorgeous oak trees. Two backhoes and a dozer were hired to destroy the trees. I would guess land fever is the culprit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33