New auger time

Which auger?

• Total voters

bink

So everyone, its new auger time. I currently have a 8in Eskimo pistol bit with a dewalt 996 attached but the drill is starting to slip. Overall it was really good to me, only thing I didn't like was how hard it was to get the chuck to hold on that darn thing. So this year, I'm going to upgrade to a fully electric auger. Looking at the strikemaster 40v lite and the Ion Alpha, in 10 inch. So I'm hear to ask, whats everyone's opinions, which should I get? I see the strikemaster is currently 100$ off, should I jump on that? Do we think that there will be some black friday deal that surpasses it? I see scheels has their Ice days coming up, do we think there will be a better sale then? Is their another brand I should be looking at? So many options and I'm guessing I'll be happy with whatever I get, but I like hearing the peoples opinion. Also, does anyone know if there is an adaptor or something I can use so that I could still utilize the pistol bit on the new electric, then I could have a 8in and 10in auger which would be the bee's knees.

Eatsleeptrap

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really like my Strikemaster 40V Lite Flite, but a friend bought a new Ion Alpha last year and I cut a few holes with it. You are right, you really cannot go wrong between those two. Yes, Scheel's Ice Days is a great place to shop deals. At least it has been in the past.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really need the 10" ? They are just gonna suck more battery juice. I see it in a wheel house as you can get by a couple extra days before needing to re-drill.
Do love my Ion when clean ice, otherwise Kdrill

bink

Really need the 10" ? They are just gonna suck more battery juice. I see it in a wheel house as you can get by a couple extra days before needing to re-drill.
Do love my Ion when clean ice, otherwise Kdrill
I really don't NEED the 10, but I figure I am crazy enough to figure out a way to hook up the old pistol bit to whatever head unit I end up with so then I'll have both a 8 and a 10. About 4-5 times a year I like to go pike fishing and ran into some issues with the 8 last year while doing that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 455
  • This month: 198
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71