New Lowrance HDS LIVE

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new lowrance which i think doesnt come out till 2019 looks interesting. The stuff i have seen looks to me like its going to try to compete with humminbirds Mega and Garmins panoptix all in one unit.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowrance as a company makes me angry, but their stuff is probably the best. I’d rather use an old HDS 8 gen 2 than a new H-Bird. And yes, I own both.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
SOB Thought i got a good deal on my carbon 9 with 3D structure scan until they went on sale recently. Like everything about the unit and there functions really dont use the 3D that much. Going to to an upgrade to a HDS Live 12 as soon as i hear some reviews from a pro in 2019 and link the 2 together since my carbon 9 is old school now. Garmin Panoptix for ice fishing amazing.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
The new lowrance which i think doesnt come out till 2019 looks interesting. The stuff i have seen looks to me like its going to try to compete with humminbirds Mega and Garmins panoptix all in one unit.
Looks like the Lowrance live is only available in the 12 and 16 bundled with a module and ducer i think? like to see the price before i pull the trigger or else just go with another hds carbon thats on sale. Wondering whats in store for hummingbird and garmin in 2019. Seems they are all over priced just like boats and ect.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like the Lowrance live is only available in the 12 and 16 bundled with a module and ducer i think? like to see the price before i pull the trigger or else just go with another hds carbon thats on sale. Wondering whats in store for hummingbird and garmin in 2019. Seems they are all over priced just like boats and ect.

You really have to work it out -- in hours ---- what do you want to spend as a recreation hourly rate. Priorities change over time. Its just like lap tops or computers, trucks etc -- You will lose your ass trying to keep up --- If you own a small business you know how you pick a year to make equipment replacements --- you pick a year and go with it --- otherwise your just killing your pocket book trying to keep up with the jones (aka ahab).

I bought a garmin this year small 9" incher - it didnt wow me - I can hook a pano to it - just waiting for the price to drop on the ducer. Which it will.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
^^^ Thanks for bring me back to reality after reading your thread i think i will skip out on the live and go for another hds carbon head since i already have the module. You have some logic to your thread.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorty, I’m still running HDS Gen 2 non-touches(6 year old units). I have a Helix 10 for mapping. I did have to try Panoptix in the ice bundle, though.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I find 16 inch units just plain nuts because of battery draw. Pros running a 16 and a 12 must install a second starting battery in parallel.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what exactly is so great? How does it compare to livescope? Just looks like the same old Lowrance with upgraded technologies that came out on the first generation IPads.

- - - Updated - - -

These sonar companies are pathetic. The software is piss poor. These units should be mini I pads that a guy can watch tv and download apps.

- - - Updated - - -

Apple needs to get into the fish finder game

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
^^^I agree 100%. For the price of these things, and I know there's a somewhat limited market and lots of development time, they should have much better hardware in them than what they do.

I can't believe how choppy scrolling through the mapping is on these units still, my $700 cellphone has a processor 4 times faster than what these do and run off a 3500maH battery.

On top of that, with the increasing dependency on technology, there should be no shortage of good software engineers that can really optimize the code and make everything run smoother and more intuitively than what they do currently.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28