New Pheasant Opener Dates

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is quite telling. The state gives you an extra week of hunting and all people do is bitch about it. I will guarantee you allot of nonresident duck hunters will be pissed about this new change. They come to hunt ducks but now all the plots will be closed on them on the second week instead of the third and that's definitely not going to make many of their day. Who cares if it's hot who cares if the crops are up and who cares if some of the birds still look like hens, the state said go have fun a week early and that's a shit ton better then watching it on TV even if everything isn't exactly perfect!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it. Having the opener on the 14th is much too late. October is half over.

The blame game. Guides Outfitters non-residents. Let's do the math.

My neighbor charges $100 dollars per day to hunt. His land is very pheasant friendly. Miles of tree rows and unharvested crops. Deep creeks not over grazed. The birds get pressured everyday and they keep going back. The cattle clean up somewhat after the season.

The largest groups that consistently come every year migrate closer to the opener. Smaller groups get dates farther back on the calendar. An average day of 4 hunters times 40 days afield equals $16,000 dollars. (guessing)

I know he leaves $10,000 dollars worth of improvements and unharvested crops out there. Profit $6000. (Approximately)

What works on his property doesn't work on mine. When we pressure the birds a few days in a row, they move over to the neighbors.

No one is cutting a fat hog in the ass guiding for pheasants.

Huskerdu

Established Member
This ^ Whenever a new bullshit bill passes it is always to benefit the nonresidents. Such F'n bullshit, why I am almost certain some of these legislators get money under the table passed in from across the ND border right into their pocket.
,I doubt it, it a day earlier

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been watching a bunch of birds just south of Bismarck. There are about 10 left of the 50 last fall.

One of my friends got a call from a rancher in December. He said all the pheasants were dead. South of Beulah. It's most likely not going to be a great year for pheasants..

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is quite telling. The state gives you an extra week of hunting and all people do is bitch about it. I will guarantee you allot of nonresident duck hunters will be pissed about this new change. They come to hunt ducks but now all the plots will be closed on them on the second week instead of the third and that's definitely not going to make many of their day. Who cares if it's hot who cares if the crops are up and who cares if some of the birds still look like hens, the state said go have fun a week early and that's a shit ton better then watching it on TV even if everything isn't exactly perfect!

Who was asking though? I mean, thanks I guess. But nobody I know was asking for an earlier or longer pheasant season.

Won't matter to me anyway. I'm all about ducks until freeze up. Shoot a couple deer. Then chase roodies until the season closes. They could start it in September for all I care. Educate the birds early so they hide and all the fair weather hunters are left scratching their heads. Me and my hounds will play clean up when everyone else is sitting at home, complaining about the cold.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Everybody is sitting home watching TV and just waiting it out the weekend before pheasant opener? Did you just fall off the turnip truck yesterday? We're talking ND in early October - there's only like 27 exciting things an outdoorsman could be doing that weekend.

Sometimes I think you type before you even form a solid plan of what it is you are going to say.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who was asking though? I mean, thanks I guess. But nobody I know was asking for an earlier or longer pheasant season.

Won't matter to me anyway. I'm all about ducks until freeze up. Shoot a couple deer. Then chase roodies until the season closes. They could start it in September for all I care. Educate the birds early so they hide and all the fair weather hunters are left scratching their heads. Me and my hounds will play clean up when everyone else is sitting at home, complaining about the cold.
Exactly! No resident hunters had a problem with the current system, or were asking for an earlier start. This has everything to do with the large guiding operations bitching about a late start last year. It all comes down to $$

The numbers will almost certainly be down this year and somehow i guess extending the season is the solution. Will they be upping the deer tags to 150,000 again as well ;:;banghead

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I was wondering...it would be nice to know who brought this up in legislation and exactly why. Oh well I guess.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
its doesnt matter to me when they tell me i can hunt pheasants. I know it will suck trying to tell what is a hen or a rooster that early in the season, my dog will probley get more birds then i will shoot. The problem i have is with the legislators, am i wrong when i say they do what they want and not what the people want.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's really no sooner than prior years except for those years when the opening weekend works out later. It's not going to effect how mature the birds are for identification so I don't have a problem with it at all. Can't wait to shoot a few come October 7th.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everybody is sitting home watching TV and just waiting it out the weekend before pheasant opener? Did you just fall off the turnip truck yesterday? We're talking ND in early October - there's only like 27 exciting things an outdoorsman could be doing that weekend.

Sometimes I think you type before you even form a solid plan of what it is you are going to say.
That funny coming from the guy who said that 7 days earlier it will now make it impossible to ID the young ones leaving out the fact that even in late years many if not most young birds are approaching full color by the end of September! There's a reason pheasant opener sees twice as many resident hunters then waterfowl so please show me where these other huge chunk of hunters are the weekend before. Sure they may be fishing or chasing deer but the fact is there is always multiple choices for a guy to go after weather it's October or February! It's just funny so many seem to look for reason to complain about anything. Seriously who gives two shits how or why this got into the system because in the end the residents who hunt in the state will be the ones to get the biggest benefit from this change. So now you have 27 exciting things to do in October and you will have more time to get after one more species so your not quite so rushed.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! No resident hunters had a problem with the current system, or were asking for an earlier start. This has everything to do with the large guiding operations bitching about a late start last year. It all comes down to $$

The numbers will almost certainly be down this year and somehow i guess extending the season is the solution. Will they be upping the deer tags to 150,000 again as well ;:;banghead
Well last time I checked we only shoot roosters and they in the end are bad for hens come winter so in what world would a longer season have an effect similar to over hunting deer?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys need to quit being such heathens and not start hunting till noon like us sporting folks down here. haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84