New Rapala R12 Fillet Knife

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we all getting Lazy with the fish limits the ole Leech Lake custom fillet will out due any of those electric jobbys, have seen a lot of them at fish cleaning station was not impressed. Never see butcher shop use them think about that.

I have never seen a boat in a butcher shop either. :;:huh:;:huh. I like the ol Mr Twister, and also like my cordless Rapala.

bilbo

Honored Member
That being said, I like cordless power tools.

I always say hand tools are Marijuana, corded power tools are Coke, and cordless tools are Meth. Once you try it, you physiologically just need to have more and nothing else will suffice.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have had amazing luck with Mr Twisters. My son bought me a blue and white one I guess it has more power and works awesome also . I don't need to look for another brand . You cant mess with perfection .

I have watched way to many guys with dead cordless at the cleaning station , especially when bigger fish come in

Founding Member
Founding Member
That new Rapala feels great in your hand unlike the bubba I have, its big and bulky and I have xl hands.
Last couple years I've been a fan of the HD rapala corded model, way better knife than the original corded.
I see this cordless rapala in my future as well.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The first time I saw the Rapala electric being used I thought "how wasteful, surely that is not as efficient as a sharp knife".

I couldn't have been more wrong. I get more meat, less bones, all the cheeks and sometimes the "wings", and I'm done and out of the way at the cleaning station much faster than with an old school knife. Also get way better results with the electric on small fish like perch.

I've never used the electric to butcher deer. That's a job for a few sharp hand knives.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best electric fillet knife I've used is American Angler. Our club cleans fish for Chamber Tourney on Devils Lake along with the other various tourneys that have come over the years (MWC, NWT, ect.) and these have held up the best. Tried many brands and burned out a lot of them on those big fish. Some would get so hot you couldn't hold them and had to be set aside to cool. These are all corded models, as obviously the cordless would never cut it with 3 hours of straight use. They are on the higher end of price, but seem to be worth it!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
cleaning/filleting a bucket of panfish with a e-knife makes it breeze compared to filleting these smaller fish with a fixed blade knife,cuts cleaning time in half. for walleyes e knife compared to fixed blade about the same amount of time except in my case with a straight blade I work around the rib cage rather than cut thru it like I would with a e-knife,this way not cutting thru the bones straight blade knife holds its edge longer(rapala stainless blade knife)

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used the same Mr. Twister for 25 + years. Bought at a rummage sale for $5. Sharpen the serrated side with a diamond hone and buff the back side with an Eversharp.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just showed up.

First impressions:
1. It feels nice and solid.
2. Confused the crap out of me with the thumb throttle vs trigger. Should be able to get used to it though.
3. The blades are coated with a non-stick that should "glide" really nice.
4. The case is nice, but I don't like how soft cases can absorb some water. I would have rather had a hard case.
5. Looks pretty BA compared to previous knives.
6. Blade mechanism is WAY tighter and more solid than previous knives.

I'll add more later.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the review, Captain. Looking forward to hearing more after you put it to some fish.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm often flabbergasted at the skill level (or complete lack of) at the cleaning stations.

Guys with $80,000 boats hacking/gouging their way through fish as though they're 12 yrs old and they never had anyone to teach them. (ask me how I know)

It doesn't matter what the cost or style of the knife is - use what you like.

But for the love of all that is holy - please get good at it. Some of us are sensitive to witnessing caveman game processing skills being practiced upon God's gift to anglers. They simply deserve better.

#guywhoisoffended

- - - Updated - - -

also - I recently got a new battery (free) for my Li Rapala - due to a recall. :)

:;:lame

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
896A8A30-2254-4EC7-9146-3476C3F4F236.jpg

Pen and scissor for size reference.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just showed up.

First impressions:
1. It feels nice and solid.
2. Confused the crap out of me with the thumb throttle vs trigger. Should be able to get used to it though.
3. The blades are coated with a non-stick that should "glide" really nice.
4. The case is nice, but I don't like how soft cases can absorb some water. I would have rather had a hard case.
5. Looks pretty BA compared to previous knives.
6. Blade mechanism is WAY tighter and more solid than previous knives.

I'll add more later.

Wonder what Kyle from Woodland thinks --- the rapala knife almost caused him to see how good his insurance was on his new hotel building. I wouldnt own one - rapala should stick to lures. They are in baby step mode on batteries. Samsung learned that lesson how many years ago 2016.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
agreed

looks bulky and fairly heavy

like juanr

- - - Updated - - -

just kidding - it looks like most electrics

- - - Updated - - -

issue #4 is spot on

I’d be forced to hit that case with some top quality water repellency spray - and how

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might have to whip the sucker out on the Easter Ham. Sure to get that one distant reletive up in arms about a fish knife in their food:)

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
That upper deck area seems prime for some ziploc bags.

I want one, but I never catch fish anyhow, so...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait. Why is that manual still in the case? That should have been filed away in the round file holder immediately.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69