New Roundabout Law

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's that big of an inconvenience to use a turn signal ? If you ask me they should be required and enforced on every intersection so people pick up on using them like a bad habit. Not much irks me more than waiting at an intersection to make a right turn and vehicles to my left come flying down the road and slam on the brakes and make a right turn while I sit and wait because they don't want to be hassled with the chore of using their turn signal.
Even when they signal I always wait until I know they're committed to the turn before pulling out. Seen it too many times where they signal, then decide it's the wrong turn and continue straight ahead with the signal on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This law is for the same people who’ve had their ENTIRE LIVES to learn to get up to everyone else’s speed on on-ramps… but never do.

They hit the main road at a tentative 45 mph, cause chaos, and then a quarter mile later they’re passing everyone at 80 mph.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever notice how many people don't turn their signal on until they are about half-way through the dam turn?
Round-a-bouts----HATE EM!!!
The old 100' blinker law is outdated for newer vehicles . In the 40s it might have been ok but vehicles are quicker and have way more braking power. The spookiest intersections for me are the rural side roads that are usually gravel , when I'm tooling down the road with cruise control on and watching someone flying up to a stop sign like their going to a fire. Iv'e slowed down for nothing many times and I've takes a gamble that they are actually gonna stop and not blow through the stop sing and kill us. Iv'e had two times where they blew through the stop signs, defensive driving saved me both times .

I don't mind roundabouts but the ones in Fargo are too small.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A four way stop is infuriating most days, not sure how people cannot understand the first to stop is the first to go, both stop at the same time the fella on the right goes first...

I have sat at a 4 way for 5 minutes waiting for the fucker that is next to courage up and go, even when they wave me on, I out of pure stubbornness will sit until I die before I will go next. My wife rarely drives with me anymore.
Im the exact opposite. at a 4 way stop if someone else has the right of way and then hesitate at all, Im like F it im going, and I go. The worst is when you stop and wait and its their turn and then you give up and you start going at the same time they finally start going, and then you stop, and they stop again and I just want to throw a rock at them. So I give them a chance and if they dont take it, I just go, I dont have the patience for that pussy footing around crap!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I drive through the middle, do I still have to use my blinker?
Special requirement for that , both blinkers at the same time upon arrival back to earth.

There is one on 45th or Veterans in Fargo that they planted ornamental grass that they don't mow and you can't see across it with a low profile vehicle. Talk about a not thought out plan.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I think that's actually got a reason behind it. The elevated, ornamental center of most roundabouts at least partially removes the view of a road going forward, hence it's like a "T" in the road where you need to concentrate on what's coming at you from your left.

Did see an elderly gent take a LEFT at the roundabout north of Lincoln on 66th and Highway 10 last winter. He stopped, looked both ways, took some time to think about, let a car come from the left through the roundabout, and then floored it to take his left-hand turn.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This law is for the same people who’ve had their ENTIRE LIVES to learn to get up to everyone else’s speed on on-ramps… but never do.

They hit the main road at a tentative 45 mph, cause chaos, and then a quarter mile later they’re passing everyone at 80 mph.
They wouldn't be passing me if they are going 80mph

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I think that's actually got a reason behind it. The elevated, ornamental center of most roundabouts at least partially removes the view of a road going forward, hence it's like a "T" in the road where you need to concentrate on what's coming at you from your left.

Did see an elderly gent take a LEFT at the roundabout north of Lincoln on 66th and Highway 10 last winter. He stopped, looked both ways, took some time to think about, let a car come from the left through the roundabout, and then floored it to take his left-hand turn.

That's defeating the purpose of the roundabout in my opinion. They were designed for smoother traffic flow but with the blind spot straight ahead I don't know if someone on the other side is speeding and heading my way so I slow way down to the point that I can stop on a dime incase there is. Then I have to give her the onion to get around fast incase there is. It just doesn't make sense in my mind to create blind spots or allow them. There are also advertising and even buildings in many places that require the driver to be out past the stop sign and pedestrian crossing to see oncoming traffic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's defeating the purpose of the roundabout in my opinion. They were designed for smoother traffic flow but with the blind spot straight ahead I don't know if someone on the other side is speeding and heading my way so I slow way down to the point that I can stop on a dime incase there is. Then I have to give her the onion to get around fast incase there is. It just doesn't make sense in my mind to create blind spots or allow them. There are also advertising and even buildings in many places that require the driver to be out past the stop sign and pedestrian crossing to see oncoming traffic.
Trucks drive through roundabouts every other day out in the Bakken because they lack this feature

they appear to be a normal intersection from a distance until it's too late (tired/distracted at 65 MPH)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84