New Roundabout Law

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trucks drive through roundabouts every other day out in the Bakken because they lack this feature

they appear to be a normal intersection from a distance until it's too late (tired/distracted at 65 MPH)

I get that, and not arguing but I'd rather feel/hear a rumble strip for those folks and let the low profile vehicles be aware of oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
One benefit of roundabouts I suppose is that they decrease break wear on a vehicle, often you dont have to stop completely or even slow down too much... as compared to a 4 way stop. Many of the roundabouts however are being put in where there was through street and a 2 way stop for the intersecting road, not sure this is an improvement in those circumstances. they may be safer, but at the cost of convenience.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
One benefit of roundabouts I suppose is that they decrease break wear on a vehicle, often you dont have to stop completely or even slow down too much... as compared to a 4 way stop. Many of the roundabouts however are being put in where there was through street and a 2 way stop for the intersecting road, not sure this is an improvement in those circumstances. they may be safer, but at the cost of convenience.
I must have the worst luck ever then. It seems like I get stopped as long or longer than a 4 way stop every time I come to one of those 7th circles of hell. I can hardly wait until the new high school is up and running. That should help set accident records at the one at Old Red Trail/Collins/1806.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must have the worst luck ever then. It seems like I get stopped as long or longer than a 4 way stop every time I come to one of those 7th circles of hell. I can hardly wait until the new high school is up and running. That should help set accident records at the one at Old Red Trail/Collins/1806.
WTF - I have never been stropped at a roundabout.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think my favorite is when someone in the roundabout, who has the right of way stops to let someone else into it. Or maybe when I’m in the roundabout and someone thinks this is a roundabout I don’t have to stop anymore and almost t-bones me because you never stop at a roundabout ...rofl...

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 way stop tip. Even if it is not your turn, if the car directly across from you comes towards you through the intersection and you are going straight through as well. When they come through, you might as well go through as well at the same time. 2 for 1

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poll, Biggest danger at a roundabout:

1. Anyone diddling with their phone.

2. The 1st roundabout coming in to town on a 2-lane full of people who think Interstate speeds are too fast for them to drive.

3. A mother duck/goose/Turkey with her flock of youngins waddling through the structure.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF - I have never been stropped at a roundabout.
I think the deal with roundabouts is kind of like merging into traffic when entering a freeway in a large city, you just have to get up to speed and assume someone is going to let you in... the roundabout is similar, you gotta look for an opening and then go for it! The people who really screw things up are those who are hesitant...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the deal with roundabouts is kind of like merging into traffic when entering a freeway in a large city, you just have to get up to speed and assume someone is going to let you in... the roundabout is similar, you gotta look for an opening and then go for it! The people who really screw things up are those who are hesitant...

Exactly. That works 100% of the time when you can see the cars and it reinforces my point about the haphazard brainstorm to plant vegetation so you can't see the cars. How in the hell are you supposed to look for an opening and get in sync with traffic that you can't see ? You cant, so if your mindset is to be a defensive driver you slow down.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone from Fargo area know if PD ever catches that kid in the loud little blue car with a rear spoiler ? Seems like all he does is drive around as fast as he can.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone from Fargo area know if PD ever catches that kid in the loud little blue car with a rear spoiler ? Seems like all he does is drive around as fast as he can.
Was in Bismarck earlier today and watched someone in a small black car with no hood over the engine compartment and a spoiler on the rear get pulled over. He came up on the officer from behind doing about 15MPH over the speed limit. He hit the brakes and tried to turn off while the officer was going past an intersection but the officer got turned in time as well.

I saw the little spoiler-car coming for about 2 blocks. I was one lane over and about 7-8 car lengths behind the officer and could kinda see the whole thing unfolding real-time.

I also saw some Karma visited upon a boat-tower who didn't have or hook up his trailer lights, had no situational awareness to what was going on around him, and didn't use the signal lights on the pickup either. Saw him a bit later about 25Mi down the road from the 1st place I saw him. Boat trailer sitting on the axle on the side of the Interstate.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is their purpose of the blinkers. Doesn't work worth a shit on small roundabouts, but a larger one if you are going to be exiting it tips the person off waiting to enter.
First time I encounter them was in florida. No law then but had sign up Blinker Courtesy

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 way stop tip. Even if it is not your turn, if the car directly across from you comes towards you through the intersection and you are going straight through as well. When they come through, you might as well go through as well at the same time. 2 for 1

Yep, both cars could of crossed at the same time but no:mad:................ car that goes first gets to the white line for the crosswalk on the opposite side then the sleepy fuck that should have gone at the same time decides to go. 🤬...boozer...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Navigate a roundabout in peace:

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old 100' blinker law is outdated for newer vehicles . In the 40s it might have been ok but vehicles are quicker and have way more braking power. The spookiest intersections for me are the rural side roads that are usually gravel , when I'm tooling down the road with cruise control on and watching someone flying up to a stop sign like their going to a fire. Iv'e slowed down for nothing many times and I've takes a gamble that they are actually gonna stop and not blow through the stop sing and kill us. Iv'e had two times where they blew through the stop signs, defensive driving saved me both times .

I don't mind roundabouts but the ones in Fargo are too small.
Please say you don't use cruise on gravel....😳

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88