New South Dakota state record salmon ?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm. Didn't they have a couple years of low egg production at the ladder? May explain the discrepancy. I'm sure there's still a couple hawgs below the dam! I had one in '08 or '09 follow a reef runner up to the bank which startled me a bit. SOB looked four ft long. It amazes me how they can pass through the structure and survive.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is surprising, during 50k+ my brother caught a paddy with 3" chopped off the bill, roughly 50#r, was shocked to say the least

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't the Oahe fish swim up to the Garrison dam?

- - - Updated - - -

Or do they encounter too much hot water in the lake?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
They wont leave the cold water at the lower end just the same way Sak's dont swim to peck outside of winter. Now in 2011 over half the salmon caught in oahe came from Sak and there was even a salmon run in apple creek with the game and fish netting some for eggs right at the office on hey creek.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were ruler of ND, the hatchery creek at the Tailrace would be modified to allow natural reproduction of salmonoids.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were ruler of ND, the hatchery creek at the Tailrace would be modified to allow natural reproduction of salmonoids.
In all reality it should be fairly easy to do. Just get the right substrate of rock and gravel and make sure the flow is right on speed and temp and specifically keep the oxygen levels where they need to be. And well we are at it dump a bunch of trout yearly in the lake so the salmon guys can have more the one target. Hell talk to sota and Wisconsin and inquire about getting some streight up steal head.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine the education and tourist opportunity...All you need is interest, motivation and money.:) My vision involves Hess and some big-assed gate valves...this would be beyond cool.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah and just make sure its running the hatchery water which it normally does so it smells right to them. They had them running in there already not sure why they stoped. Hell even as it is now thats one spot where they could have made staging legal again to bolster intrest in them.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huge fish!! Wow feed must be great in oahe to see salmon of this size. That fish is a 4 year old and would have died this fall.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd even decree the construction of an aquarium-like under water observatory. This creek wouldn't just be used by salmon and trout IMHO.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "Mission for My Vision" is not total natural re-population: It's education and some success. I believe the main part of the creek would need to be re-routed from the ramp with re-enforced artificial pools due to erosion. Some years would be better concerning different species; including forage.

It wouldn't be easy but that's not my problem as I'm the Ruler of North Dakota.

I'd need advised on the current conditions and most viable crop: Water in the observation areas would maintain proper depth and presentation IAW my and ACOE guidelines on average. My minion lawyers would persuade ACOE to adjust/suggest flow with minimal interference. ND would have it's creek and ACOE can "float the boat" from there. Main point is observation at various pools. We would need them constantly full for tours. Another problem is oxygen. Land owners and golf courses in Dixie install fountains. I believe temp is fine as long as the creek is supplied from the lake bottom. This creek could become another matter of state pride and provide much opportunity for research and thesis.

IMHO, there wouldn't be much conflict with our creek and barge traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nfGn-_MOT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KfNyrMys8o

Last edited:

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another toad weighed in today in Pierre . 30.75 lbs .
image.jpg

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw another picture where they had one over thirty and another one over 25 today. That's quite the run they have going down there!

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine was catching lakers at peck on the face of the damn like stealing kids with candy last year

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31