new trolling rod

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently broke my 7' 0" fenwich eagle gt rod. I need a replacement. What do you guys recommend. I mainly pull spinners and cranks. Heaviest BB pulling would be 2 oz and that's pretty rare. I have a daiwa accudepth reel that I will be pairing with the rod. This rod would spend most of its time in the rod holder so I probably need a forgiving tip.

Should a guy go long 8 foot and above?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a couple St. Croix eyecon ECCO70MHM rods, they call them their "bounce and troll" rods. Supposed to be good for up to 3oz, been using them quite a bit lately with the water warming and they seem to do the trick, spend most of their time in the rod holders till a fish bites and the kids grab them out. I usually use around 1 3/4 - 2 oz bouncer. They are 7 footers. I'd highly recommend them, stiff enough to where the fish catches itself most of the time on a hit but soft enough to not pull the hook or snap off when a snag goes unnoticed prior to drag releasing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a smoking deal on a couple of 13 fishing defy's in 8 ft length. I've pulled cranks and bounced with them. I also have a pair of jason mitchell bouncing rods in 7'6" length. Good rods as well but longevity is usually the issue with those.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a couple of the Scheels extendable trolling rods this spring. They're north of 8 ft, maybe 8'10"?

Not the most expensive rods around and even for the price I don't think I'd recommend them. They have pretty weak eyes. I've already broken one off and in hindsight now see how they are the crappiest part of the whole setup, which is really amazing considering I returned the POS reels that came with them. Yeah, I returned just the reels off of a rod/reel combo, the drags were garbage and it kind of pisses me off when any time you use it and set it in the rod holder that you can't trust them enough to not have 200 yards of power pro out the back of the boat.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I read bouncing rod and forgot what I was going to say. The scheels telescoping 8'6" rods work well. The eyes suck as well as their reels. But for the money, they work. Cabelas makes a nice rod. The st croix are damn good rods.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using my Scheel's 7'6" trolling rods as a dead stick bouncer rod lately and they've worked well. Originally bought them for pulling cranks when I'm fishing alone, but have used them with bouncers just as much. The eyes do suck, but have not had any issues getting rods replaced when I've had issues.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing but positive things to say about the 13 line and scheels guide series as well. Not sure if scheels is still doing 13 warranty replacements in store but they were at time of purchase which made it an easy decision.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Croix or Cabelas tourney trail. Has been good for BB and used for cranks one year at Tobin

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31