No paddlefish cleaning offered this year

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - is that the first time this guy filleted a paddlefish? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

they must be a total PITA to filet the way that guy had to correct cut-throughs etc.

- - - Updated - - -

"bullets" - perfect name

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
tbh the fillet process looks similar to a walleye except he guts his first and follows the ribs

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
leech lake knife approach to filleting IMO

- - - Updated - - -

I think they lack bones right? - so following soft cartilage spine etc. has to be a PITA

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe you guys should go on a catch and release day, they taste like shit anyways!

I agree....those that do not like or eat the meat should go on C & R days. In our group we will have a fish fry or two, then have it smoked. West Dakota Meats does a nice job. Then I vacuum seal chunks for the summer.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I catch n release a dozen a year in the tailrace on accident. I wanna try n eat one, never had it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA, it's VERY dense meat. Similar to fresh tuna, but even more heavy. I like mine smoked, but I have to go easy on the salt in the brine as the meat really takes up salt easily. I had it fried one time, but didn't care for it that well. Much to oily for my pallet. Just a bit of a heads up. Hope you get one to try out.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have no desire to keep one so that won't stop me from doing a C and R.

how many people actually eat the fish or just let it freezer burn and then throw it out

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the very least, dog and cat food. Folks who toss "old" deep freezer meat disappoint me.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At the very least, dog and cat food. Folks who toss "old" deep freezer meat disappoint me.

I agree! Though I have found a bit some older paddlefish that made its way down to the bottom of my freezer. When it is fresh and fry it, we cut it up into bite size pieces or nuggets. Then we just use dry piece breading. Shorelunch works well, as it has a bit of salt. But Uncle Bucks breading also works well. A guy could probably soak it in some salt water first to get some of the oil out of the meat. Some people soak it then put it on foil on the grill and cook in butter and/or lemon juice and some seasoning. I have never tried it that way...but I have heard it's good.

Anyways...I guess we will just have to stay tuned to see what it decided as far as providing a place for anglers to clean and dispose. Without having the free fish cleaning service.....I suspect that there might not be as many anglers. I suspect that some people would be stupid enough to take their fish to get their picture, weighed and jawbone removed. Then go and dump the fish in the grass someplace. I'm sure there is some concern for this, so I would expect a few more Wardens will be assigned up there.

I do not blame North Star Caviar, as some have on this post. Yes, the timing of the news seems a bit odd, 2 weeks before the season. But they have done some good charitable work for the Williston area, from what I have read and heard from people I know up there. I truly hope that NDGF help and offer some sound advice. And if someone is allowed to charge a fee, it is realistic and some proceeds support the area. A Warden several years ago said that they say about 10% of the anglers clean their own fish that they use in the count. I believe that is a bit high, but that is my opinion. But maybe North Star Caviar can provide some photos and material how to clean Spoonbills.

I guess all we can do it just stay tuned!

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

+1000 I've known some guys that when the summer "pull spinners for 20 minutes and go home with a limit to brag about the 20 minutes part" bite hits they either give away all the old stuff or throw it in the garbage to replace it with the newer stuff. Repeat every year. If it's that bad just give it a chance to keep swimming. I could care less about what someone does legally for the most part but wasting because you can't help but stock up just sucks.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be a heck of a lot harder to get a fish count also, yet I'd be surprised if there'd be anywhere close to the quota taken without someone to clean them for people.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy on the board of North Star Caviar was just on KFGO...he said they are still trying to offer the cleaning service for anglers. He mentioned cleaning them properly isn't easy..if the spinal column is cut there is fluid in there that will taint the meat...I suspect we'll hear more info soon

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A guy on the board of North Star Caviar was just on KFGO...he said they are still trying to offer the cleaning service for anglers. He mentioned cleaning them properly isn't easy..if the spinal column is cut there is fluid in there that will taint the meat...I suspect we'll hear more info soon

Has anyone heard any confirmation on this yet? Still not sure what cutting the spine or fluid is all about. I guess I never realized that was an issue with Paddlefish. All I can say now is...."I wish I would have watched more closely several years ago when I was able to go up in the trailer and watch".

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea you need to pull the spinal chord out in tact before you go cutting through it from what I have seen. Usually the head and tail come off then take a pliers and pull that thing out. I'm far from an expert on that though.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont really think its that hard to do, I did it a couple years ago without any major issues. Wouldnt prevent me from going for sure. No reason not to make some caviar while you are at it!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Andy at Scenic has this posted on his FB page:

It is final! Paddlefish cleaning will be available at the North Star Caviar cleaning station compliments of the North Dakota Game & Fish department. I am waiting to hear from the Williston Convention and Visitors Bureau for confirmation on the fisherman shuttle at the Confluence but last I heard they were pretty solid that they would be working something out with Greg to do that again this year. Anyone who is not fishing in the area of the Confluence will have to haul their fish up there if they want to take advantage of the free cleaning. Appreciate your patients on waiting for more information, we have all been left with a very short notice and had to dig to find out anything. Andy

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Andy at Scenic has this posted on his FB page:

It is final! Paddlefish cleaning will be available at the North Star Caviar cleaning station compliments of the North Dakota Game & Fish department. I am waiting to hear from the Williston Convention and Visitors Bureau for confirmation on the fisherman shuttle at the Confluence but last I heard they were pretty solid that they would be working something out with Greg to do that again this year. Anyone who is not fishing in the area of the Confluence will have to haul their fish up there if they want to take advantage of the free cleaning. Appreciate your patients on waiting for more information, we have all been left with a very short notice and had to dig to find out anything. Andy

Damn Game & Fish, all they're worried about is money.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46