No Trespass Law

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any fine should be levied by the LEO and imposed by the court.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
why is everyone so scared to knock on some doors and ask for permission to hunt? I hear all these huge c/o about said landowner living out of state yada yada but guess what, someone rents that land and ill bet the closest house to that field will know who. I agree this is not a forum I wanted to get involved in but for Christ sakes is everyone scared to talk to landowners these days? FYI, just because of this post it doesn't mean im for the bill, it just sounds like a lot of bitching and whinning from some that haven't made shit for sense. Some others have valid points so im not talking about everyone in here........

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
why is everyone so scared to knock on some doors and ask for permission to hunt? I hear all these huge c/o about said landowner living out of state yada yada but guess what, someone rents that land and ill bet the closest house to that field will know who. I agree this is not a forum I wanted to get involved in but for Christ sakes is everyone scared to talk to landowners these days? FYI, just because of this post it doesn't mean im for the bill, it just sounds like a lot of bitching and whinning from some that haven't made shit for sense. Some others have valid points so im not talking about everyone in here........

I think this needs to be addressed. The Ult Out guy said the same thing.

The answer is NO, guys like you and me are not afraid to go knocking on doors. But the REALITY is, that it is just another road block, another hurdle in the sport. There are many older guys I know who said they will just hang it up. Its not worth it to them anymore and thats fine you may say good riddance....until its your dad or granddad and you see the light go out in their eyes. Yes they have killed enough in their life and they dont need to chase it that hard anymore. It will kill the casual hunter and we need them all. They aren't out there to kill, but they do want to spend time with their families in the great outdoors. This will make it that much harder. Add it to the list.

How about new hunters? Kids? Women? Single mom who want to introduce their kid? We all have wives, sisters, sisters in law, moms. Another road block...another pain in the ass that takes the relaxation out of it. Its not supposed to be stressful, but lets face it. Knocking on strangers doors hat in hand isnt the most fun thing to do.

This law, will be another reason, another excuse to quit hunting, hang it up, or to never begin in the first place. In a time when all we talk about is recruiting more. We need to be better.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had my ass chewed out by a land owner for hunting his land that the neighboring land owner said he owned and we could hunt it.
I have heard that many times, but have not had it happen. What I have had happen three times is guys try to kick me off land saying they had permission when they didn't and that they knew I was trespassing. One guy tried to run me off my brothers farm. A group of four guys from Minnesota actually posted land with the landowners name on it and tried to throw the landowner and I off. The Game Warden got in on that and they did get prosecuted for trespassing. On the other hand one time this landowner who never lets anyone hunt was chewing ass on four guys and when I stopped to talk with him he said hop in my truck and I'll drive you out to the straw piles and come get you at noon. I know he did it just to rub salt into those four guys. Funny thing is he asked us back next year and the year after. He even told us to stop camping and stay in his hired man's summer quarters. After three years we find that he and my father-in-law were friends and traded bulls every three years. Neither of us knew that to begin with. Fun guy, small world.

but for Christ sakes is everyone scared to talk to landowners these days?
Yes. When I was a Boy Scout I could never sell things to make money for camping. I didn't want to bother people. It's not that I don't like talking with landowners, I just can't bring myself to beg for something. So many don't like hunters asking, and I don't want to be a bother to them. I hunt private land where I have been invited or unposted. 90% of my coyote hunting is unposted land in the winter months. I can't shoot at 2/3 of the coyotes I see. I know I could get permission most of the time, but the coyote will be gone when I come back so what's the use. I wish posted signs had some type of check box on them that designated open or closed after January 1st.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone else ever received the response " If I wanted people to hunt my land I wouldn't have fucking posted it" ?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Also saw the Ultimate Outdoors Adventures tv show came out in favor of the law. Some of us are not as privileged to have a tv show that pays for them to hunt on outfitters land. They totally disregard that the common man hunter may never have those same opportunities as the tv show host. I for one will not be watching their show anymore. This is why I started watching Randy Newberg because he hunts only public land that is open to all of us and actually care about preserving our cherished public access opportunities."

These guys for a long time have NOT represented the vast majority of people who enjoy the outdoors. Their interests are about as far as you can get from folks like most of us here.

Nick Simonson, KDM, and others, thank you very much for the informative updates and the contact info. All we can do is make our individual and collective voices heard for as long as possible. Keep the conversation going even after this legislative session is over. This isn't going away.

Ultimate Outdoor Adventures is John Arman, Jason Wright and Curt Schirado. Have met them. Pretty good guys. John and Jason are school teachers and Curt teaches kung fu stuff. How much do they make off their show? Not enough to quit their day jobs.

How about this guy?

https://dakotaedge.com/about/

:;:stirthepot

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Came across a poster on a guys land a few years back that had hand written pheasants no deer yes, was nice to see since we were deer hunting

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about this guy?

Classy.

So what? The guy has an interest in the ND Outdoors and has a business. He's free to promote what he pleases, just like the ultimate outdoor guys. Consumers have the choice to react accordingly. You know, free market we talk about so often ;) ... we know you hate that free market stuff.

Thanks for all you do Nick. I'm happy to follow your content! Keep it up!

oldschol

Whether good guys or not, or how much money they make, if they support something that limits sportsman opprotunity, tells me all i need to know.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ultimate Outdoor Adventures is John Arman, Jason Wright and Curt Schirado. Have met them. Pretty good guys. John and Jason are school teachers and Curt teaches kung fu stuff. How much do they make off their show? Not enough to quit their day jobs.

How about this guy?

Hey since we're on the topic, how about this guy? Ring a bell? How are those "hunts" selling lately, Fritz? Not the full article, just clipped bits and pieces I thought were funny ;:;rofl:;:stirthepot Selling "North Dakota" and the "Experience" Aye? #$%^&>

And just FYI, I don’t care if you raise elk, just think it’s funny you have marketed/advertised shooting penned in livestock as hunting, because it is not hunting.

ND elk operator looks to lawmakers for steady rule

By Mikkel Pates on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:41 p.m.
HAZEN, N.D. -- Dwight Grosz would say he is in the "farming" business. He raises his elks -- the bulls, the cows, the calves -- much as a rancher might.

But from a marketing standpoint, Grosz is in the "hunt" business. That can controversial to some people.
Customer typically want Grosz's elk for meat, but also for wall mounts they can hang up at home. They choose an animal they can afford, come to this corner of North Dakota and pay a premium to shoot it themselves, usually in a 320-acre area.

In 2002, Grosz started selling hunts. He reaches potential customers through a website and a national magazine advertisement. He says it's important that he "sell North Dakota" and the experience.

"When people are here, we take care of them," he says.
Most of the customers stay in a local hotel and patronize local businesses.
Hunts are "relational" and customers are from all over, but often from urban areas in the East.

"They call and tell me what they want to spend -- what their thoughts are," Grosz says of his customers.
He has to separate out the animals they want, and jokes that, "If you shoot the wrong one -- a monster -- you might have to call home and mortgage the house."

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I knock on doors all the time when waterfowl hunting. Sometimes they are bothered because they are busy with harvest and sometimes they are gracious. There are two types of posters 1. They don’t want anyone to hunt and don’t bother asking and 2. Those who post just because they want to know who is on their land. I can respect that but it’s not going to be easy to ask for permission from those who don’t want to be bothered who have historically just left their land open. They are not going to willingly leave accurate addresses and phone numbers. The main reason I try to hunt unposted land is because I do not want to bother farmers when they are busy trying to get their crops off. Not all hunting types can be scouted in the summer and not all residents or non residents can take time to scout in the summer so they will end up bothering farmers in the busiest time of year.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope Game and Fish is increasing its fish stocking capabilities. I foresee more fisherman in the future due to all the red tape hunting will have. Shortly after that, they’ll have to close fishing season during spawn because all the retired hunters who weren’t fisherman prior will be raping and pillaging all the lakes. It’s all downhill folks. May as well get ahead of game and sell all your hunting and fishing stuff now and start golfing instead.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard that many times, but have not had it happen. What I have had happen three times is guys try to kick me off land saying they had permission when they didn't and that they knew I was trespassing. One guy tried to run me off my brothers farm. A group of four guys from Minnesota actually posted land with the landowners name on it and tried to throw the landowner and I off. The Game Warden got in on that and they did get prosecuted for trespassing. On the other hand one time this landowner who never lets anyone hunt was chewing ass on four guys and when I stopped to talk with him he said hop in my truck and I'll drive you out to the straw piles and come get you at noon. I know he did it just to rub salt into those four guys. Funny thing is he asked us back next year and the year after. He even told us to stop camping and stay in his hired man's summer quarters. After three years we find that he and my father-in-law were friends and traded bulls every three years. Neither of us knew that to begin with. Fun guy, small world.

Yes. When I was a Boy Scout I could never sell things to make money for camping. I didn't want to bother people. It's not that I don't like talking with landowners, I just can't bring myself to beg for something. So many don't like hunters asking, and I don't want to be a bother to them. I hunt private land where I have been invited or unposted. 90% of my coyote hunting is unposted land in the winter months. I can't shoot at 2/3 of the coyotes I see. I know I could get permission most of the time, but the coyote will be gone when I come back so what's the use. I wish posted signs had some type of check box on them that designated open or closed after January 1st.
I do not know one farmer that wants to be bothered during harvest. In some places in WY some ranchers have signs on the road saying to don’t bother asking for permission.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope Game and Fish is increasing its fish stocking capabilities. I foresee more fisherman in the future due to all the red tape hunting will have. Shortly after that, they’ll have to close fishing season during spawn because all the retired hunters who weren’t fisherman prior will be raping and pillaging all the lakes. It’s all downhill folks. May as well get ahead of game and sell all your hunting and fishing stuff now and start golfing instead.
Shhhhhsh man! That’s my back up plan!

- - - Updated - - -

What website ?
The ND stockmans association website

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey since we're on the topic, how about this guy? Ring a bell? How are those "hunts" selling lately, Fritz? Not the full article, just clipped bits and pieces I thought were funny ;:;rofl:;:stirthepot Selling "North Dakota" and the "Experience" Aye? #$%^&>

And just FYI, I don’t care if you raise elk, just think it’s funny you have marketed/advertised shooting penned in livestock as hunting, because it is not hunting.

ND elk operator looks to lawmakers for steady rule

By Mikkel Pates on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:41 p.m.
HAZEN, N.D. -- Dwight Grosz would say he is in the "farming" business. He raises his elks -- the bulls, the cows, the calves -- much as a rancher might.

But from a marketing standpoint, Grosz is in the "hunt" business. That can controversial to some people.
Customer typically want Grosz's elk for meat, but also for wall mounts they can hang up at home. They choose an animal they can afford, come to this corner of North Dakota and pay a premium to shoot it themselves, usually in a 320-acre area.

In 2002, Grosz started selling hunts. He reaches potential customers through a website and a national magazine advertisement. He says it's important that he "sell North Dakota" and the experience.

"When people are here, we take care of them," he says.
Most of the customers stay in a local hotel and patronize local businesses.
Hunts are "relational" and customers are from all over, but often from urban areas in the East.

"They call and tell me what they want to spend -- what their thoughts are," Grosz says of his customers.
He has to separate out the animals they want, and jokes that, "If you shoot the wrong one -- a monster -- you might have to call home and mortgage the house."
giphy.gif

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has to be a way we can stiffen the trespass laws to make them easier to prosecute and enforce. I am all for that because what happened on DAPL was a travesty, but the authors/ supporters of this law are using DAPL to hide their true intentions. They are targeting freelance hunters and are not afraid to say it anymore. All a guy has to read is their website to see their true motives. There has to be a better way of preventing DAPL protesters than just making all land posted.

Looked twice at the ND stockman's association website with an open mind and honestly failed to see what you are talking about ? Where did you find it ?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys crack me up. (Laughing out loud) I thought Mikkel Pates did a very good write up in that article. The difference is I was not selling, profiting from or commercializing the publics wildlife. My clients were old and never came back here from other States to compete for opportunity with ND residents to shoot any specie.

So how does the Game and Fish sell opportunity to sportsmen?

ndlongshot said,
So what? The guy has an interest in the ND Outdoors and has a business. He's free to promote what he pleases, just like the ultimate outdoor guys. Consumers have the choice to react accordingly. You know, free market we talk about so often
;)
... we know you hate that free market stuff.

I like the free market. Just a heads up to Nick that he should be mindful not to cross that "commercialization of wildlife thingy." You don't want those sons-a-bitches on your ass. Speaking of one:

Letter to the editor: No trespass bill is short sighted

By Dick Monson from Valley City on Feb 1, 2019 at 6:42 a.m.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to Facebook
21Share to Twitter
Share to Reddit
Share to Email

Share to Copy Link

In every session of the North Dakota Legislature it seems a no trespass bill comes forward from a small group of people. Thankfully it has always been soundly defeated in the past as a bill that is a perennial bad idea in a new coat of paint. Our current recreational access law allows sportsmen to hunt private land that is not posted. It has stood the test of time and bipartisan

legislative compromise for most of 90 years. The new bill, SB-2315, would require permission on all private land which is 93 percent of North Dakota, even from landowners who have never posted. As a farmer I believe this new trespass bill would be a public relations disaster for the North Dakota ag community. Think about it.
Farmers have depended on public financial support to stay in business. Our rural electric grid was funded in part by tax dollars from the public and low-interest public loans. Throw in our good publicly funded road system too that moves the grain and beef. Same public funding for the rural water systems we needed and the new high speed fiber optic lines that have made our farms more productive and more valuable. Try that on your own dime. I am grateful for that public support.
Right now farmers are waiting on $12 billion of public aid through USDA to make up for the trade war commodity price loss. In addition, over the years the public, through USDA, has kicked in to help farmers for disaster payments, direct crop payments, revenue assurance
payments, prevented planting, drought payments, crop insurance subsidies, forage assistance, etc. Billions of taxpayer dollars from the public have flowed into the North Dakota ag community over time. So how will the ag community show gratitude now? With a no trespass bill?
A new statewide no trespass/no hunting law seems to me a short-sighted and mean-spirited way to thank the hundreds of thousands of North Dakota citizens who hunt and fish in our state and have supported us in agriculture. Those sportsmen will go someplace else and take their good will and dollars with them if this bill passes. The public citizen's good will is too valuable to squander with a radical no trespass bill.
If the North Dakota tourism industry and main street businesses are on their toes, they
aren't going to like the drop in revenue either when sportsmen are told to go elsewhere.

Good one Dick.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for posting Monson's letter. Makes perfect sense to me.

Is there anyone on here that was in the court rooms when DAPL people went to court? I'm wondering if we really know why some of these cases were dropped. Do we really know?

Edit: Also thanks for that link to North Dakota Edge. I can't remember names worth squat and didn't realize I have met Nick Simonson.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for posting Monson's letter. Makes perfect sense to me.

Is there anyone on here that was in the court rooms when DAPL people went to court? I'm wondering if we really know why some of these cases were dropped. Do we really know?

Edit: Also thanks for that link to North Dakota Edge. I can't remember names worth squat and didn't realize I have met Nick Simonson.

Well of course Monson's letter made perfect sense to you. You guys think alike.

And of course you have met Nick Simonson. So has Monson. Nick and Monson were sitting beside each other during the sub-committee hearing for 2315.

Senate Bill 2315 is going to be hoghoused. Meaning the intent which would "reverse" the presumption that all land is considered open and allow landowners to require permission for others to access it without having to post signs stays the same. Everything after that is going to be changed.

During this change....real sportsmen can step up with input.... or they can get Monsoned.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish everyone would quit hunting here since we have to get permission no such luck though. Good luck on your guys fight

- - - Updated - - -

Haha getting monsonend

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11