Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught a few - the rush is here now

I figured the "concealed entry" would cater to their sneaky SOB nature as well

:;:muahaha

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.belllabs.com/product_details/thailand-contrac-blox Used Decon and the mice just stored it in my 4 wheeler, motorcycle muffler, the heated bucket for the my dog water. Used Contrac and about 2 weeks later no mice. The dog wanted some to so you have to make sure pet's cant get at it.

I'd have to check the bag I have but these bait blocks look exactly like what I have in the bait stations. They still look new after having been in place for the past 6-8 months. Might have to "refresh" them.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
cats are the cats meow by the way. we never ever find any mice where the cats hang out. the only time we've ever had mice/rats was in the enclosed chicken coup that was full of hay and food. i live in the country and am surrounded by mice habitat. we've had one mouse in our house since i moved in about 9 years ago. and that was when the entire house was torn apart for a remodel. the cats took care of it before the traps caught it.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only mice we have are headless door mats. Some new rodent has made an appearance, smell with a long pointy nose. Apparently the head is not tasty.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The apple slice thing works for me, if they look like mice with a half tail they are voles. Some people confuse voles for moles, moles live underground and make piles of dirt. Voles live under and above ground and will leave paths in your grass, that are really obvious right after the snow melts. They are like rabbits and will always follow the same path, so you can also put a mouse trap in the path and they will often run over it and get caught, even if there is no bait. There are "main drag" type runways and then there are little off branches that are traveled less. Put the traps on a main drag if you can find one. They will also dig underground and eat root crops like potatoes, carrots, etc. Moles eat insects, primarily worms and grubs so they are harder to trap. They are also mostly nocturnal, but voles are active all the time, but maybe moreso at night.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going the sticky trap route for mice, use the larger rat trap ones. I think Fleet Farm has them. More surface area to grab the bastards and they are sticky as hell. Worked well for us in the past.

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flamethrower or a small nuke...

Been fighting the little buggers in my garage for half the summer. Up to 8 of the little effers. Victor traps are the way to go.

They have eaten all my poison and still come back for more. Sticky traps are damn near worthless.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
this time of year they are desperate for water. we caught them all the time by putting a little water in the bottom of a five gallon pail. lay a wooden ramp up onto the top. they commit suicide for the water.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The apple slice thing works for me, if they look like mice with a half tail they are voles. Some people confuse voles for moles, moles live underground and make piles of dirt. Voles live under and above ground and will leave paths in your grass, that are really obvious right after the snow melts. They are like rabbits and will always follow the same path, so you can also put a mouse trap in the path and they will often run over it and get caught, even if there is no bait. There are "main drag" type runways and then there are little off branches that are traveled less. Put the traps on a main drag if you can find one. They will also dig underground and eat root crops like potatoes, carrots, etc. Moles eat insects, primarily worms and grubs so they are harder to trap. They are also mostly nocturnal, but voles are active all the time, but maybe moreso at night.

Interesting. I have those Goddamn piles all over but the one I did kill was definitely a vole, looked like a big mouse, buck teeth and everything. Not the nose and funny arms like a mole. So is it possible I have moles yet accidently caught the only other species of asshole in my yard on accident? I may have been going about this all wrong. No trails just tunnels that sometimes cave in when you step on them and lots of hills.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a pic of what vole trails in the yard look like. Little F'ers

voledamage_1.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually a vole if I remember correctly....

[video]https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-ash4/v/t43.1792-2/10379015_742156232501105_265106923_n.mp4?efg=eyJyb HIiOjIzMzgsInJsYSI6Mjk4MywidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJsZWd hY3lfaGQifQ%3D%3D&rl=2338&vabr=1559&oh=486d60970fc 97636a09c387ce660769c&oe=56326E03[/video]

Last edited:

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moles and voles are VERY different creatures. Voles look like a short fat mouse with half the tail. Moles are quite large, sometimes have a pointy nose (check out the star nosed mole, those guys are freaky) and gargantuan front feet for digging. They also have virtually no eyes. Eyes don't do you much good where they live.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of the devil! Went to the bathroom last night and one of the little bastards was in my whirlpool tub. Don't know how he got in there but he couldn't jump out so...he died young. Now I need to mouseproof the house again after not having any uninvited rodents for several years. Normally use Decon Pitch Paks in the crawl space but last year and the year before I sprayed animal repellent around the foundation after a neighbors cat got trapped in the crawlspace. I think that's why I didn't have any trouble until now. Need to do that again before it gets any colder.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of the devil! Went to the bathroom last night and one of the little bastards was in my whirlpool tub. Don't know how he got in there but he couldn't jump out so...he died young. Now I need to mouseproof the house again after not having any uninvited rodents for several years. Normally use Decon Pitch Paks in the crawl space but last year and the year before I sprayed animal repellent around the foundation after a neighbors cat got trapped in the crawlspace. I think that's why I didn't have any trouble until now. Need to do that again before it gets any colder.

Trap the neighbors cat in the crawl space?

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made 3 northwood log roller sets in September.

I wanted a ramp that "traveled along" with the buckets so I could move them easy and they'd be compact

so I riveted sump pump hose to the side in a spiral staircase fashion

Stairway to Heaven model

20160412_202544.jpg

We use this at the farm. Works pretty good.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to resort to using a professional exterminator . He has a tracking powder they walk through, when they lick their feet, they die. Not that expensive if you sign up to have it done quarterly. Down side is the dead animals are poisonous, as is the powder to pets.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have an excessive number of yotes out west, they seem to take care of some of the rodent population. I know you dog hunters will have no problem getting permission to shoot these bastards up this winter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10