Old Fashioned

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you find Orange Bitters at? Does it have alcohol in it? I needed it for another drink awhile back.

sparetire

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am with Juan... Manhattan's are my drink of choice. Although i prefer barrel proof bourbon (Stagg Jr, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Turkey Rare Breed, etc...) to his Rye. Rye is just too sweet to my tastes to add vermouth too, although i will do it on occasion but will be very Rye heavy 4:1-5:1 type ratio. Have not tried the amarena cherries but do like the luxardo's quite a bit.

What kinds of rye have you tried? I've generally felt that rye is spicier than bourbon, rather than sweeter. For that reason, I like it as the backbone of my mixed whiskey drinks. Then again, I don't have a terrible sophisticated palate. I laugh at the tasting notes that claim that a certain whiskey tastes of things like pralines, raisins, and one of my favorites, river stones.

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you find Orange Bitters at? Does it have alcohol in it? I needed it for another drink awhile back.

I would guess Angostura Orange bitters is the most readily available one, and it does have alcohol in it. I was inspired by this thread to mix up an Old Fashioned with the orange bitters. Definitely a winner. There are many companies making all sorts of new types of bitters, but most would have to be ordered online.

Any of you into Sazeracs? Another great whiskey drink, but more labor intensive than an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan. The guy at the liquor store looked at me like I had two heads when I told him the absinthe was for rinsing through the glass then dumping out.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Step it up with some smoked Bourbon

image.jpg

Bow Stand.jpg

really? never heard of such a thing. What did it do to the taste?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to drink Old Fashion's. It seems bartenders these days struggle with them....about 1 in 8 I get anymore is worth drinking. And I'm getting too old for the hard stuff LOL.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to patern and drink at the same couple places or my home. The bartenders know my cocktail to the point that I don't even order, they bring one to me. I don't often frequent, however my drinks apparently are memorable. A quality cocktail is only as good as the bartender, or as good as my liquor cabinet, not as complicated as honeybees

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to drink Old Fashion's. It seems bartenders these days struggle with them....about 1 in 8 I get anymore is worth drinking. And I'm getting too old for the hard stuff LOL.

I can say that I'm 98% sure that in 10 1/2 years no one has even attempted to order one here.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I like my alcohol straight on the rocks except for tequila. That I like in a "Perfect Margarita"

3 parts silver tequila
3 parts gold tequila
1 part orange curaçao
1 part triple sec
Juice of 1/2 lime
over ice in an "old fashioned" glass.

Had this last year in Las Vegas at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Bar in the Flamingo Hotel over Valentine's Day weekend. Going to stop in Vegas on the way back to SJ after spending a week in Phoenix in early March. I'll bring my own pre-mixed jug of perfect margaritas with me for our room.

Steve.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
For old time drinks my wife and I really enjoy going to the Speak easy :;:thumbsup "510.2, potent potables and pop" in Bismarck, some of the best drinks both of have ever tried.
Some may be turned away as it is owned by one of the candidates running for governor right now.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can say that I'm 98% sure that in 10 1/2 years no one has even attempted to order one here.

...Because one used to believe the request would be loudly mocked and ridiculed? You're on the precipice Brian.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
...Because one used to believe the request would be loudly mocked and ridiculed? You're on the precipice Brian.

i used to get mocked and ridiculed when requesting an old fashion too. Now im single

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
so drinking a quality cocktail from yesteryear is responsible for your loneliness?

mrs johnr says only a drunk would slosh back the Manhattans that I have grown fond off, I said ya whats your point.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
We should go out. You boys can order a Manhattan and an Old Fashion. I will order a Vodka Collins. Then we can watch the bartender's head explode and laugh together.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

I haven't been behind the bar for more than a couple hour morning fill in shift in years yet back then when confronted with a drink out of my league (99% of the time it was a girly something someone just saw in a magazine) my response was "soooooooo do you want beer or whiskey?" Repeat as many times as necessary.

The girls up there usually have a decent handle on whatever is outside of my beer/whiskey box, an overwhelming percentage has red bull or liquid ice in it which IMHO is titty sprinkling pathetic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14