One tag vs multi tag poll

With the present deer population should the G&F change to a 1 tag/person until population rebounds?

• One tag draw - species, sex, & unit specific - any weapon

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Lottery draw for rifle only, if successful not allowed bow tag - if not successful purchase bow tag

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • One tag draw - Buck only - species & unit specific

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Leave system as is

Votes: 58 56.3%

• Total voters

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think any changes are needed because as stated, need a lot more habitat, food, and mild winters to sustain more deer. I also agree lift restrictions on cats in the badlands.

Small Changes that i would support would be:
Have muzzy draw first, if you draw a muzzy tag, no rifle tag or vise-versa i.e. one Gun tag
Weighted lottery, no reason a guy with 1 point should get a tag when a guy has 6 points and doesn’t draw
If you are going to start limiting tags why would just limiting the gun hunters to 1 tag but still allow bow hunters 2 tags make sense ?
ND already uses a weighted lottery system

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good question Traxion. Twice in my lifetime I have had three tags, and neither time did I fill all three. When I am lucky enough to get a deer gun tag I do get some archery hunting in, but seldom shoot two bucks. Two years ago I had all three tags, which was the second time in my life. I waited four years for the gun tag and 12 years for the muzzleloader tag.
So many people see eliminating someone else's sport as a means for more tags for their chosen weapon. Many years ago the season was on l y three days. There is very few of you old enough to remember that. If you like to hunt and you envy bow hunters don't restrict them buy a bow.

Oh and don't get me starred on crossbows. The way it's set up we are at the mercy of hunter hating doctors at times. I have a relative with hundreds of acres of good deer habitat. He is 86 years old, and two years ago messed up his hand in a table saw accident. His doctor will not sign off on a crossbow permit for him. Outrageous!
I’m cautious to reduce another’s opportunity based on perception that they are taking from mine without solid data behind it. I was surprised how few multiple deer killers there were in SD.

SD did have to adjust an area due to too much bow hunting pressure on mulies. That seems like a reasonable item to enact in the Badlands. But limiting others to one tag otherwise statewide seems drastic to me.

Far as the muzzleloader, it seems they’re just a bonus tag once in a blue moon. If you can shoot two bucks that year have at it.

We’ve just got to be careful as hunters not to circle the wagons and shoot inward. As this thread shows, there are lots of challenges we are facing. If we add each other to the enemy list we’re doomed.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
If you are going to start limiting tags why would just limiting the gun hunters to 1 tag but still allow bow hunters 2 tags make sense ?
ND already uses a weighted lottery system
I think they were getting at more of a preference point system where those with the most points are drawn. Eliminate some of the nonsense where folks who have a horseshoe in their ass draw every year

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bow hunted and gun hunted mule deer out west.

After doing both i feel a chance to kill a mule deer with a rifle is the same as with a bow. My Mathews shoots well over 25 yards up to 500 yards. Running or not.
Arrows do not bounce off like a 243 does so better chance there but i do not have a 243. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the last 20 years i have hunted mule deer out west 4 times with a rifle and have made 3 hunts with youth for mule deer out west. A few times brought the bow. Been 3 years since the last.

I had/have a bigger problem with landowners talking me to death, asking me to stay for supper, driving me around their farm in their side by side, showing me their cow herd, inviting me in for coffee, showing me their farm and equipment they farm/ranch with than telling me no. I am normally by myself or with a kid.
They are a lonely bunch out there. And i show an interest in all that plus in time during the visit i ask them to share their life story or a part of it with me. They are human and have wants and needs just like the rest of us. There have been times when more time was spent doing that than hunting.

Yes, they are a lonely bunch living miles from wherever.
I do enjoy that part of the hunt and try to revisit them each time i go out there.

The first time i went i will admit i was with some strangers to me and that did not go well the first couple of days, but they were buttheads in IMHO also and went on my own. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, if you are having a problem invite camper to go with you. db

Tinesdown

Think about habitat first but the area i have always hunted it is owned ny gnf. They have dragged feet to put food plots in for the game. My area flooded out in 2016 an just this last year they have disked fields to put crops. in .just this year yet no crops= NO BIRSDS ,plenty oh habitat yet the birds cant survive the narly winters of north dakota without some kind of pulse crops ie wheat corn something so the birds are down to a few dozen for 5000aceas wma. walked an area today that used to have 400 birds in the fields when it got 25 below at nights saw 2 bird tracks an they where grouse out of the hills the fields were disked black dirt nothing around for animals. Very poorly managed by the gnf they suck for managing wma for wildlife not sure who is in control but plant some thing for the critters an buy it off the farmers who lease the rights to farm

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roughly 40,000 tags were given out in the rifle deer draw after gratis tags were subtracted from the 53,000 some total tags available . Over 24,000 of these were Doe tags …… that’s a way to build the herd . Brilliant !!! Atleast cwd won’t kill them …. But now hunters are the problem …

Tinesdown

Roughly 40,000 tags were given out in the rifle deer draw after gratis tags were subtracted from the 53,000 some total tags available . Over 24,000 of these were Doe tags …… that’s a way to build the herd . Brilliant !!! Atleast cwd won’t kill them …. But now hunters are the problem …
I personally have been getting after the deer hard/scouting the deer in winter is a good way to pattrrn them animals in my area seem to be living of the land eating willow/popler tips new growth very hard to hunt when the aniamls are tracking everywhere seems to be a few/very few deer around but also nobody bow hunting which is not normal for this area. Made a big loop today scouting deer/moose saw very little sign. My sign off would be animals are around/somewhere but spread to thin to hunt with the warm winter can not get on deer trails when there is 50 tracks coming an going for 10 days worth of tracks thats the kicker a hunter goes off of tracks just very few in a long time period

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally have been getting after the deer hard/scouting the deer in winter is a good way to pattrrn them animals in my area seem to be living of the land eating willow/popler tips new growth very hard to hunt when the aniamls are tracking everywhere seems to be a few/very few deer around but also nobody bow hunting which is not normal for this area. Made a big loop today scouting deer/moose saw very little sign. My sign off would be animals are around/somewhere but spread to thin to hunt with the warm winter can not get on deer trails when there is 50 tracks coming an going for 10 days worth of tracks thats the kicker a hunter goes off of tracks just very few in a long time period
Translation please?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88