One tag vs multi tag poll

With the present deer population should the G&F change to a 1 tag/person until population rebounds?

• One tag draw - species, sex, & unit specific - any weapon

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Lottery draw for rifle only, if successful not allowed bow tag - if not successful purchase bow tag

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • One tag draw - Buck only - species & unit specific

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Leave system as is

Votes: 58 56.3%

• Total voters

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
With present deer population what should be done to ensure tags for more people ?

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Having more control over how many does harvested would be helpful imo. Although in the SE I don't think changes would've helped much last year. Coyotes did well in the snow, deer did not.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just sell buck tags over the counter and you can only buy 1. Everybody's happy they got their tag. Probably still be the same number of deer as there is now anyway.........none

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom line is for you Nodakers is, the good old days are done!
Price of land is not conducive to much wildlife habitat being born.
I forsee it getting worse in the future.
Truly feel for you guys and the recruiting of new hunters.
Deer don't eat dirt.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys really think nonres bow hunters are taking out all the deer?? I would imagine the success rate on those nonres tags isnt that high.

Habitat is more the issue imo.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO yes habitat is a large part of the equation.
But shooting off does and doe fawns is also A BIG reason for herd reduction.
Small part of the problem.
Less habitat, so much easier for coyotes to find fawns.

Loss of habitat, high #s of coyotes,are a recipe for disaster.

Just had a conversation with a guy from Hillsboro yesterday.
He was complaining about the lack of deer and said he wished every landowner would plant an acre of food for the deer.
I responded with, can YOU afford to spend 5000.00 a year to feed them? Crickets.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my take on ND deer hunting, I think more people are disappointed about not drawing a tag than they are not filling a tag if they get one. I think people just want the opportunity to go hunting when they can, that's me anyway. I haven't filled a bow tag for about 10 years and it's not because I haven't had opportunities, it's just about having the chance to get out when I can and enjoy the hunt. I really believe if ND went to selling a buck tag over the counter like MN you'd hear far less bitching about deer hunting in the state. I also don't think it would decimate the herd like some believe either. Hell it's already decimated with this archaic system GNF is using because they sell too damn many antlerless tags anyway. ND's never going to have deer numbers like they did during soil bank and crp days unless commodity prices tank and that's probably never going to happen again.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom line is for you Nodakers is, the good old days are done!
Price of land is not conducive to much wildlife habitat being born.
I forsee it getting worse in the future.
Truly feel for you guys and the recruiting of new hunters.
Deer don't eat dirt.
Yep! Without a place to survive winter, tag numbers and distribution won't matter a tinkers damn. Loss of shelter belts, drain tiling fields, burning sloughs, building houses in every patch of trees and along the river valleys, grazing pastures and public lands to within and inch of their lives, cutting and baling supposed conservation areas, and other habitat destroying activities all result in lowered carrying capacity of the land. In the face of most human activities, deer and other critters LOSE. It takes DECADES to create good thermal cover for critters, but only hours to destroy it. Unfortunately, those folks interested in doing the work to create habitat are an ever shrinking percentage of the population. Many folks want to appear to be concerned about habitat while at the same time actively working to destroy it and justify it with words like "It's only 5 acres.", "Those trees are such a mess." or "That slough just fills with snow, is full of weeds, and creates mosquitoes." Sad, but there it is. In the end, it will be pay to hunt, travel to hunt, take what you can get when you go hunt here in ND, or hang it up altogether and go fish. Even if you buy some land and build the habitat, you will have to patrol it like a fiend to keep azzholes from trespassing and hunting it anyway. I know, I've done it. Sorry about the Debbie Downer post, but I can't see any other truth without MASSIVE efforts from across the state to reverse direction and with the current economy, I don't see habitat creation or conservation getting in the way of the pursuit for the the almighty dollar. The whole thing makes me want to start drinking. It's depressing as hell. Carry On!!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- how many people are actually holding and filling multiple tags? The perception is there is a lot but the stats are low I’d guess. In SD I participated in the last deer license redo. The multiple tags holders was a very small number, 6% maybe, that were successful. I just wonder if the one tag idea would yield a difference.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't filled my rifle tag the past two years. The son has done well in keeping us in venison though. I'm at the point in life where I just want an opportunity to walk through the countryside, armed, and with a purpose. A deer license is still a great way to do that.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind seeing x amount of FCFS OTC buck tags make up the majority of tags. Have them be good for most of the state, with the exception of the southwest corner. Have all those good "Trophy" muley units be a draw set up like the current system. Possibly allow antlered whitetail hunting in those units with the OTC tag but thats a fine detail.

I'll probably catch hell for saying this, but the older I get, the more open I am to the idea of 1 tag good for all seasons. It's no longer about the harvest anymore for me, it's about the time spent in the field with my friends and family... My wife, myself and our son were all able to harvest 1 deer each this year and I'm fairly certain we will be just fine for meat in the freezer. This year was the first time my son ever shot anything. I had more fun helping him harvest his doe than I have ever had shooting anything myself.

Last edited:

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The focus of the article is that the public badlands are getting crowded, not that the deer population and tag availability are getting scarce. Though the two are connected.

But as far as I see it hell yeah we have a habitat problem. If people got as worked up about that as they did about baiting i think the amount of deer would make up for it. I’m not anti-ag. Many in my family farm and ranch, my friends farm and ranch. They all do great things. The problem is that right now agriculture and conservation kind of locked in battle. In ND, the ag groups have a huge amount of pull, and guess what most of our representatives do or used to do. The groups that lobby them want every inch of ground in production. They want the public land given back to heirs of original owners and back in production. They want wetlands drained and trees ripped out. Where does that leave you and the wildlife? Don’t be so fast to say it’s no use or that’ll never happen. I know I come on here and oftentimes rant about conservation, but if outdoorsmen spoke up and utilized the groups out there that that work with the landowners and lawmakers and such to get programs in place, I believe we could right the ship. If nothing else, we need to fight to keep what we have.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84