One tag vs multi tag poll

With the present deer population should the G&F change to a 1 tag/person until population rebounds?

• One tag draw - species, sex, & unit specific - any weapon

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Lottery draw for rifle only, if successful not allowed bow tag - if not successful purchase bow tag

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • One tag draw - Buck only - species & unit specific

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Leave system as is

Votes: 58 56.3%

• Total voters

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not set in stone on what exactly I'd like to see changed, and how, but I am coming around to the idea of an OTC whitetail buck tag, with some restrictions. Statewide for archery and ML, unit specific during rifle season.

For mulies, it would need to be a permit draw, and unit/weapon specific. You can attempt to draw an archery permit, OR rifle permit, not both. If you draw a muley archery permit and shoot one in Sept, your deer season is done. If you draw a muley rifle permit, and shoot a WT in Sept, your season is done....One deer/person/yr, period.

Does...I have no idea. They just need to be drastically reduced. I can't imagine a lot of people would go into a doe lottery though, with the option to have a OTC WT buck tag. Somehow that pressure needs to be spread out.

The badlands archery pressure is real, and it needs to be addressed. I'd rather have a quality archery hunt out there every other or 3rd year, than the shitshow it is now.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my take on ND deer hunting, I think more people are disappointed about not drawing a tag than they are not filling a tag if they get one. I think people just want the opportunity to go hunting when they can, that's me anyway. I haven't filled a bow tag for about 10 years and it's not because I haven't had opportunities, it's just about having the chance to get out when I can and enjoy the hunt. I really believe if ND went to selling a buck tag over the counter like MN you'd hear far less bitching about deer hunting in the state. I also don't think it would decimate the herd like some believe either. Hell it's already decimated with this archaic system GNF is using because they sell too damn many antlerless tags anyway. ND's never going to have deer numbers like they did during soil bank and crp days unless commodity prices tank and that's probably never going to happen again.
With far less habitat (compared to say 2000-2010) you'd crowd lots more freelance hunters (the great majority) onto what little is left that's either private not posted or public and accessible to all.

Before any changes are made, I would be strongly in favor of funding for grid-flying the ENTIRE state when there's snow on the ground. Let's get a much closer estimate of what the population really is before making wholesale changes. IMO, ND G&F would need a much more detailed population breakdown to make major changes.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we give GF a 1 tag system with low deer numbers it won’t come back ever.
Why don’t we encourage and hold king Jeb to higher standards to manage our deer In the best interest of the state and quit wasting money on worthless testing and pump it in habitat.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t test your way out of anything havent we learned that??? Perhaps a healthier deer herd is the best bet and that is achieved by habitat

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will agree nimbers sucked ass in 2J1. However before I jump on the 1 tag system I feel like the GF needs to be pressured into spending more time and money on habitat improvements. It doesn’t matter what tag idea is thought of without key habitats we will always have bad winters kill the deer

MuleyAssassin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need some type of program where money is allocated to securing more land for habitat. Such as your application/tag fee is non refundable as used to help solve some of the issue. Application/tag fee definitely needs to be increased to start the process.

Muley14

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year I had my first rifle tag in 8 years. I buy a bow tag every year but have only shot 1 with a bow in my lifetime because I don't care if I shoot one, I just like to go. I think Game and Fish is doing a pretty good job of managing deer with what they have to work with. Deer numbers are driven by habitat and weather.

If you want to issue only one tag to people and let them use any weapon, the number of tags issued will need to decrease by about 20%. Twice as many people apply for gun tags than buy bow tags. Gun harvest success rates are 25-30% higher than archery so in order to harvest similar numbers of deer as the current system you have to issue less tags.

I used to be a supporter of gratis tags but with how poor habitat and access has gotten, I would like to see them tied to improving those two things instead of land ownership.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not set in stone on what exactly I'd like to see changed, and how, but I am coming around to the idea of an OTC whitetail buck tag, with some restrictions. Statewide for archery and ML, unit specific during rifle season.

For mulies, it would need to be a permit draw, and unit/weapon specific. You can attempt to draw an archery permit, OR rifle permit, not both. If you draw a muley archery permit and shoot one in Sept, your deer season is done. If you draw a muley rifle permit, and shoot a WT in Sept, your season is done....One deer/person/yr, period.

Does...I have no idea. They just need to be drastically reduced. I can't imagine a lot of people would go into a doe lottery though, with the option to have a OTC WT buck tag. Somehow that pressure needs to be spread out.

The badlands archery pressure is real, and it needs to be addressed. I'd rather have a quality archery hunt out there every other or 3rd year, than the shitshow it is now.
Why would one be able to shoot a WT with a muley Tag?

every other or 3rd year ? WTF how happy would you be to having a Rifle hunt out West once every 5-7 yrs

Your system of only the muley tag being a draw tag would make the chances to draw a muley buck even worse than they are today, as more would apply knowing that if they did not draw they could still buy a buck tag over the counter. The 5 to 7 yrs to draw a muley tag would probably be as bad as drawing a muzzle loader tag, 10 to 15 yrs or even longer

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drawing a muley rifle tag is never going to get easier in the badlands, end of story. Those who think they can somehow change the system to do that are in for a world of disappointment. Might as well be a Vikings fan while your at it.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same thing for goats.

If you want to hunt goats go to WY or MT.

Just the way it is....

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- how many people are actually holding and filling multiple tags? The perception is there is a lot but the stats are low I’d guess. In SD I participated in the last deer license redo. The multiple tags holders was a very small number, 6% maybe, that were successful. I just wonder if the one tag idea would yield a difference.
I have many friends that do, and they do not do a survey, their choice, it is a lot of kill bucks, but when numbers are down every deer counts. People with land that have been passed it down have it figured out gift so many acres to child so they can get tag every year. I know a lot of them. One friend owns land right next to state park . His folks passed, so now he has land and two brothers he has kids that love to hunt so in the end they will get land to when he dies so giving some now so they can hunt along with wife too. They get 4 bull elk tags 4 mule buck tags every year dad, mom and two kids. System is wrong in so many ways. I know whole lot more that do same. Out of state boys alot are big name TV show that pay to hunt which we dont get access to that land any way. All about money. Another good friend is game warden and says to try to think smart it is government remember.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grandkids have no problem with $500 for a tag as you probably know who would pay. Great way to help get kids out of hunting and for most of us end hunting. db

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started the year with 3 bow tags, MN, ND and SD. I filled my MN tag. And setting in a stand in S.D. right now. I may shoot a deer. But I'm in no hurry. I still have 11 days to hunt.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would one be able to shoot a WT with a muley Tag?

every other or 3rd year ? WTF how happy would you be to having a Rifle hunt out West once every 5-7 yrs

Your system of only the muley tag being a draw tag would make the chances to draw a muley buck even worse than they are today, as more would apply knowing that if they did not draw they could still buy a buck tag over the counter. The 5 to 7 yrs to draw a muley tag would probably be as bad as drawing a muzzle loader tag, 10 to 15 yrs or even longer

Are you at all familiar with the MT general and permit system? That is a long the lines I was thinking. The OTC whitetail tag would be the "general" tag. The mulie permits are a bonus on years you can draw. Of course mule deer tags would be harder to come by, that's kinda the point. Quality opportunities > quantity opportunities.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you at all familiar with the MT general and permit system? That is a long the lines I was thinking. The OTC whitetail tag would be the "general" tag. The mulie permits are a bonus on years you can draw. Of course mule deer tags would be harder to come by, that's kinda the point. Quality opportunities > quantity opportunities.

This thread is about allowing more hunters to enjoy time in the field not about the quality of the animal harvested.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think gratis tags should be based on available browse/cover on your particular acres.

Not sure what I’d do with 27 tags though.
I'm on board for that. I think most of the hurt feelers in this department stem from gratis license issued for 150 acres of black dirt with almost zero chance of harvesting a deer off it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88