Pellet gun?

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weihrauch is another good one. A break barrel can be very acurate but it takes a bit of practice to be good with a springer. Also agree on the Hawke scopes.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure advertising the killing of a protected species on a website is such a good idea, even if the Migratory Bird Treaty Act has had most of its teeth removed

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/50/21.43

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Blackbirds/BlackbirdsDamageControl.aspx[h=2]Legal Status[/h]Blackbirds are native migratory birds, and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are given federal protection in the United States. They may be killed only when found “committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance,” as stated in federal laws regarding migratory birds (50 CFR 21). Some states have additional restrictions on the killing of blackbirds.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same problem. I either shoot the damn things or cut down a half dozen trees. Bought a new truck and if left in the driveway for 5 minutes its covered in bird shit. Also wife's stamped patio is also covered in shit. These things are creating a hell of a mess!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goddamn nature crapping all over our nice stuff. Kill it, fill it, and pave it!
For the record I have a dozen mule deer and a mob of horned larks and meadowlarks that are doing a 1-2 punch on the shrubs and native seeds I put down at my place

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/50/21.43

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Blackbirds/BlackbirdsDamageControl.aspxLegal Status

Blackbirds are native migratory birds, and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are given federal protection in the United States. They may be killed only when found “committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance,” as stated in federal laws regarding migratory birds (50 CFR 21). Some states have additional restrictions on the killing of blackbirds.

seems like grackles crapping on homes and living surfaces has a guy good to go with a pellet gun (if I cared enough to worry about it)

(d)Ammunition. In most cases, if you use a firearm to kill migratory birds under the provisions of this section, you must use nontoxic shot or nontoxic bullets to do so. See § 20.21(j) of this chapter for a listing of approved nontoxic shot types. However, this prohibition does not apply ifyou use an air rifle or an air pistol for control of depredating birds.

Conditions under which control is allowed by private citizens.You do not need a Federal permit to control the species listed in paragraph (a) of this section in the following circumstances:
(1) Where they are causing serious injuries to agricultural or horticultural crops or to livestock feed;
(2) When they cause a health hazard or structural property damage;
(3) To protect a species recognized by the Federal Government as an endangered, threatened, or candidate species in any county in which it occurs, as shown in the Service's Environmental Conservation Online System (http://ecos.fws.gov);
(4) To protect a species recognized by the Federal Government as an endangered or threatened species in designated critical habitat for the species; or
(5) To protect a species recognized by a State or Tribe as endangered, threatened, candidate, or of special concern if the control takes place within that State or on the lands of that tribe, respectively.
(6) Each calendar year, you must attempt to control depredation by species listed under this depredation order using nonlethal methods beforeyou may use lethal control. Nonlethal control methods can include such measures as netting and flagging, the use of trained raptors, propane cannons, and recordings.

- - - Updated - - -

why grackles are on the list is beyond me

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those suckers destroy my juneberries. I was getting six to eight quarts off 60 bushes. Then one year I bought an electric radio control Piper Cub. The robins would go absolutely nuts when that little plane flew over the juneberries, and they stayed away a couple of days. So I made sure to make a pass early in the morning every couple of days. That year my wife and. I picked 42 quarts.

I like this "outside the box" thinking.

Plus, I like flying RC aircraft.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked up a Crosman Guide Hawk 177 pellet gun last fall from midway usa. Broke it in per instruction and it is real good out to 50 yards with the scope that came with it. It was a close out model and I think I got it for less than 80 bucks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going .22 next time

- - - Updated - - -

which pump style Diana is recommended if not break barrel?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well fly blackbirds,grackles,starlings are considered nusience birds shot up a bunch with a federal warden one year,he said "no worries" not protected.But this was in nebraska so maybe different laws applied?

- - - Updated - - -

Guy,as stated above stay away from brake barrel as every couple shots things move,I switched to a daisey bb/.177 pellet ver acurate but when a family of wood chucks moved in to my back 40 and messed up my pup I needed more horsepower to kill the somebeeches,.22 ruger long rifle shooting 55gr sub sonic 120fps rounds really did the trick no 22 crack with sub sonic,bullet travels below speed of sound,killed 9 chucks last summer 7 the year before,all clear now,well so far.For blackbirds .22 might be over kill but the daisey does the job just fine,holds 50 bb's or load pellets one by one eith was it kills birds just fine.

Like crows "about to do damage" kill em all I read the same thing about crows doing or about to do damage they can be shot,for crows I read something about crows being the nat'l bird in mexico and they fround on us killing they're bird year round,not sure if its true or not but thats why we have a crow season.

also "cow birds" have shown up lately another fun bird to shoot as they sit tight and allow you to pick em off one by one.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want a .25 caliber PCP like the Benjamin Marauder to goof around with, but can never justify it. Might have to be “for the kids” one day.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to find the You Tube video I watched but was unable to locate. The reason the break barrels are not as accurate is because the barrel does not come back to rest exactly the same "every" time that they are cocked. The side lever is much more accurate for this reason.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch another you tube! Depends on if its a cheap springer or quality springer. I have break barrel and underlever and both are accurate but the edge is given to underlever but not by much. Also find a good pellet and it might take a few to find the right one. Probably not going to be Daisy pellet. JSB or maybe a RWS differant grains till you find the one your rifle likes.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you’re talking under lever is that your cheap ten pumper?

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the under lever no its not a cheap pumper. Its a HW 97k Weihrauch made in Germany. Single pump.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14