Pergola foundation

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might I suggest a slightly different option for you? Helped my brother do this over a concrete patio. Placed a metal post on each corner to attach a shade sail too. Can have a eye loop on top of each corner running nylon rope attached to a clip and tie off further down the post. Takes a couple minutes to put the sail up and down and won't have to worry about staining/maintenance. When I do this at my next home I am planning on using the metal poles stop signs are on(plan on painting them). I priced them at dakota fence last year and they even have an anchor system as well. I thought they were very affordable. Can see if I can get pictures if you would like.

more info please

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
My summer cabin on Metigoshe (bought from my step-father in law) was built in 1962 and finished inside in 1963. It is an all electric cabin and uses lake water and we haul drinking/cooking water. All doors close and latch as they have since I first met my (now) wife in 1972. It looks great for being as old as it is. Nothing has been done to adjust the leveling to it ever.

It is built on 4x4 posts supported on cinder blocks on compacted rock and 2x10 joists with a center beam. The cabin is roughly 24'x36'. One corner of the side deck had to be jacked up long before we bought it 16 years ago because the post support was settling. That has been our experience with a 58 year old lake cabin with H2O draining below ground to the lake every year it has been there.

Not sure how much this applies to your foundation, but I wouldn't overthink how much needs to be put into an ancillary structure that is not attached to the house. If it is supported at the surface level and the ground moves, you just jack it up or lower it down. Whatever.

My $0.02.

★ Legendary Member
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
Resized_2.jpg
top picture is the loop to pull rope thru, second picture shows clip to attach to sail and hook to hold rope tight. hope this make sense. works great can put sail up/down in 1-2 minutes and store away when not needed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 18
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5