Pickup tires

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a set of duratrax on my f150 they howl and throw rock but excellent in all conditions. Dig like a mofo.would buy again

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the Falcon At3 on my tahoe, have 10k on them and they are fine. I blame the 13mpg on the AWD tahoe, not on the tires. Someone had mentioned that they spent $400 per tire for Nittos? The Tahoe is just a back and fourth to work vehicle, and boat towing, this set of falcons cost me $570 (4 ply). I'll report back if something comes up, but i think they are great tire for the money. My old truck had Hankook Dypanpros, I felt they were also a good tire for the money.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently run BF Goodrich AT KO 2’s and love them---however they are at their best off road if your vehicle is mostly in town and highway these would be my 2 recommendations

Tough on wallet: Wrangler ATS – have owned 2 sets in the past and easily got +60k miles out of them
Or lighter on the wallet great on highway BFGoodrich long trial T/A

For more aggressive but lighter on the wallet: cooper Discoverer A/T3 or hercules terra trac at2

… this is all I know

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you to everyone for all the recommendations and experiences. After a ton of research and comparing I ended up going with the Firestone Destination ATs. They rated higher than the Bridgestone Duelers in every category and were $250 less than the Toyos. They included the roadside hazard coverage as well along with free rotates and balancing. I think they will do the trick.

Fyi - I had the Goodyear duratracs before and wasn't happy. Seemed to be shot pretty quickly.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Threw some Firestone Destination AT on the Duramax right before deer season. Quite impressed so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope that is a smaller size boat that you are pulling with only 4 ply...

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any other treadwright users out there? I just put a set on my beat around Tacoma and so far really like them. Time will tell but for what I paid for them if they can last 30 to 40K I figure they were worth it. There was a slight vibration at about 73 to 80 mph for the first hundred miles but I haven't noticed it after that.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any other treadwright users out there? I just put a set on my beat around Tacoma and so far really like them. Time will tell but for what I paid for them if they can last 30 to 40K I figure they were worth it. There was a slight vibration at about 73 to 80 mph for the first hundred miles but I haven't noticed it after that.

I have issues putting on lower quality tires on anything I am driving on the highway….a 3000+lb ball of metal traveling at 70+ mph better have reliable contact with the surface … tires are one thing I do not skimp on

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have issues putting on lower quality tires on anything I am driving on the highway….a 3000+lb ball of metal traveling at 70+ mph better have reliable contact with the surface … tires are one thing I do not skimp on

I agree. I would never put it on the family vehicle. For my run around vehicle I am going to see how it goes. I did quite a bit of research before the purchase and talked to a few people that use them and heard good things.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Firestone are garbage tires

You might be right however the 10s of thousand reviews I read had these tires rated very good. I can only hope I have the same experience as most of them

- - - Updated - - -

Threw some Firestone Destination AT on the Duramax right before deer season. Quite impressed so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope that is a smaller size boat that you are pulling with only 4 ply...

I have never had anything other than 4 ply and have pulled boats a lot of miles with no issues so far. Hope my luck keeps up I guess.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cooper at3 and duratrax are worthless on snow/ice. Still like my grabbers at2 60,000 mile tread warranty from the factory. As far as I know they are the only studdable AT tire with that kind of warranty. Which some like to call pour man's BF Goodrich. Also the grabbers are made in the USA.

www.generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at2

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently run BF Goodrich AT KO 2’s and love them---however they are at their best off road if your vehicle is mostly in town and highway these would be my 2 recommendations

Tough on wallet: Wrangler ATS – have owned 2 sets in the past and easily got +60k miles out of them
Or lighter on the wallet great on highway BFGoodrich long trial T/A

For more aggressive but lighter on the wallet: cooper Discoverer A/T3 or hercules terra trac at2

… this is all I know

I had a set of the Long Trail tires on a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer of my ex's. Those things went for over 85K miles before I had them replaced due to weather checking. Mileage wise they could have went another 15-20, it was ridiculous! This was back in the early 200s and I know they've changed at least the tread pattern on the Long Trails, not sure if they have done anything else that would affect the durability of the tire though.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are the at3's.... snow and ice they are terrible, my stock good year wranglers were better. Wet roads are like driving on ice, at the boat launch gotta use 4x4 cause the wet tires in 2wd will sit and spin. I haven't tried mud much but I'm sure they would do ok in the mud cause its a pretty aggressive tire. They are loud on diving down the road, increased in cab noise greatly at 70mph. Gas millage went from 26 mpg to 12 mpg. Tire size is 285/55/20. On a half ton chev with 6.2L. I bought these tires in July last year 2017 and have roughly 5,000 miles on them, while i use the pickup for leisure driving every once in awhile and towing 20ft enclosed trailer and my 5,000lb nitro boat

I have the same truck with the same tires and I've experienced the total opposite. My gas mileage hasn't changed at all over the last 3000 miles that I've had them on, I really didn't notice any change in road noise at all (came from goodyear SRA's). I've been tooling around on the lake this winter in 2wd a lot of the time with no issues. I have a hard time believing that this tire alone made your mpg go from 26 to 12 without something else wrong given the tire weight. If this set of Falkens holds up as advertised I will put them on again.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the same truck with the same tires and I've experienced the total opposite. My gas mileage hasn't changed at all over the last 3000 miles that I've had them on, I really didn't notice any change in road noise at all (came from goodyear SRA's). I've been tooling around on the lake this winter in 2wd a lot of the time with no issues. I have a hard time believing that this tire alone made your mpg go from 26 to 12 without something else wrong given the tire weight. If this set of Falkens holds up as advertised I will put them on again.

I just got done with a 200 some mile trip today and ill post a pic of my gas millage rite from my dash.... nothing changed with my truck besides the tires so its gotta be the tires

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I run them on my '17 GMC Sierra with 6.2 and mileage didn't change either. I like my Falken's WAY better than the Good Year SRA's. Velva must have got some lemons.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20180202_151404.jpg

20180202_151444.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Almost 10 mpg less than what i used to get.... tire pressure is at 68 on all 4

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also just put the Falkens on my hunting ride which is a 98 chevy and I didn’t notice much if any difference in the gas mileage and I went up a tire size too. I’ve had them on for 4-5k miles and overall I like the tires. Especially when I got them delivered to my door for $530 for 10 plys.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tires alone wouldn't make you lose 14 mpg. Unless you are running 28" tires that came with 15". You have something else going on.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a few others have mentioned, I also have BF Goodrich KO2s. They're awesome.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14