Poison Ivy

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to do some deer scouting and cam checking this past weekend. While walking a new section of land I noticed what I believe to be poison ivy everywhere. After looking over the first patch pretty good I was about 100% convinced it was PI. But after more walking and looking this stuff was everywhere. In the trees, in the bush, out in the crp, along the fence line... I started to have some doubts.

I lived and hunted in Iowa for 3 years and have seen some pretty good size patches and even some 1.5" vines going up trees. (Have never seen actual vines in ND).

I don't know of any other plants that look this close to PI. Any thoughts???

Attachments

PI_2541.jpg PI_2543.jpg PI_2542.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup thats the stuff, I had a bad run in with it last year, REALLY bad, now Im ultra sensitive to it unfortunately. I guess native mommies used to feed the leaves to their infants to develop immunity/resistance. Im wondering if it still works, cuz that shit is everywhere and its no fun at all having do deal with the rash/blisters.... btw the oil will stay on boot soles for years, I found that out the hard way. Gotta clean it off with rubbing alcohol, same with if you get it on your skin, once rash shows up its too late unfortunately to remove the oil, its been absorbed already.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember that and the pics on FBO... twas a nasty case of ivy if I ever saw one!

- - - Updated - - -

pluckem - some people aren't bothered by it at all

do you know where you are at on the sensitivity ladder? I've never had a bad case - once in a while little blisters between fingers or on legs whilst mushrooming but never anything to get worked up about, so I pay it little mind when I see it.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the reply. I am all too familiar with the nastiness of the plant. Have had a few bad run ins. In Iowa, it never failed every tree I wanted to put a stand in had a vine going up it. Always wore rubber boots and had a number of rubber gloves in the pack. It was the thing I would miss the least about hunting down there.

I just have never seen this much PI in ND before. And have never seen it out in the open prairie / crp. It covers acres of land out there. Maybe I have been lucky up until this point??

I am actually surprised I haven't gotten a rash yet. I walked all over this stuff for 20 minutes before noticing. When I got home I threw the clothes in the wash and took a shower with some special PI soap.

I haven't addressed the boots yet. What does a guy do to a good pair of kenetreks with PI oil all over them?

I was really going to put more time into September this year, even though I hate the heat and bugs... This might put it over the top and make me wait till end of October.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

pluckem - some people aren't bothered by it at all

do you know where you are at on the sensitivity ladder? I've never had a bad case - once in a while little blisters between fingers or on legs whilst mushrooming but never anything to get worked up about, so I pay it little mind when I see it.

Can't say for sure, have had a couple real bad cases on my legs and in-between toes. Last time was 5 years ago and I was getting new rashes/blisters for about a week throughout my body. Problem is I don't know how bad I walked through the patch. I had shorts and no shoes or socks on. Didn't know I walked through some until the next day when the rash started forming.

Having said all that I haven't had an issue when I have been scouting/hunting and actively looking out for it and wearing the appropriate clothing. But, If I want to hunt this area there will be no walking around or avoiding it, it is everywhere.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rubber part of the boots can be cleaned with a rag soaked in alcohol, also that would help to get the oil off the leather but it wont get rid of it completely. Luckily there isnt much reason to rub your skin on the outside of your boots so hopefully you wont have any issues.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think I have ever come across it before.

I did get stung by a entire nest of bees, man did that suck

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get permission from the landowner and hit'er with some 2-4-D if you want to hunt the area. It doesn't take much to kill PI. Otherwise, wait until late season when the plants are under the snow.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get permission from the landowner and hit'er with some 2-4-D if you want to hunt the area. It doesn't take much to kill PI. Otherwise, wait until late season when the plants are under the snow.

nothing to see here....move along. :;:smokin

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
wouldnt roundup work better and less nasty chems into the environment?

Not if the landowner wants to graze it. And one of the worst things about using roundup under a scenario like this is that the first thing to show up after you burn it with glyphosate are the weeds.

I agree with the broadleaf herbicide approach.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember if ya burn it,it can cause a reaction to your lungs as well when the smoke is inhaled~ nasty stuff and as lycan stated rubbing alcohl,you have about 12hrs to clean exposed skin once clothes are removed and washed.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curtail kills poison ivy very well. Thats the one thing about poison ivy its not fun to have around but at least its easy to kill.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually you only have 5-10 min to wash the oil from the leaves off your skin if you get it on you. The special Poison Ivy soap is kinda bogus, it just dawn dish washing soap. It a oil from the leaves that you get allergic to. Dish washing soap or GOJO would be best to wash with. Leaf has to be injured to secrete the oil, ie deer walking on it etc. The brown on yellow spots on the leaves are where its concentrated on your photos. Once it frosts all the leaf is covered by it...why my worst poison ivy was turkey huntin in the spring when there were NO Green leaves...

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The special Poison Ivy soap is kinda bogus, it just dawn dish washing soap. It a oil from the leaves that you get allergic to. Dish washing soap or GOJO would be best to wash with. ..

I have used Technu both after rash and as prevention. To me, is seems to work better than just dawn soap, but can't say for certain. It seems to dry out the skin which would make me believe it does a good job of removing oils from the skin.

This was on public land so no spraying for me. Maybe it will keep other hunters away? Might be a good tactic, maybe some other guy went out and spread seed all over the place this spring to keep others out. :D

I like the look of the spot, so Ill probably be dancing with the devil this fall.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer also tend to avoid poison ivy, or so I have heard... Just FYI

I found this post on another forum, next time I get this shit, Im going to try it out....
--------------------------------------------
IF ALL ELSE FAILS and I manage to start getting a rash I will go to the walk in clinic right away. There is many different types of steroid cream and I have tried most, if not all of them over the years and by far the best one I have used is FLOCINONIDE (brand name Lyderm in Canada) it is fucking AMAZING how good this shit works. Every time I get poison ivy it will last a minimum of three fucking weeks! With this cream, it will only itch for the first 24 hours and the cream greatly reduced the itch, by the second day you won't itch at all the rash still looks brutal and nasty but is already fading and my the third day the rash will just be a faded pink. I make sure to keep a tube of it at all times now. If you put it on right away when you see the rash, it won't even be as bad as a bug bite.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seem to just look at it and get it.:mad:
Best for me is the pills or a shot from the walk in clinic.
Have done that three times in the last few years. Most recent was Turkey hunting this spring. shuts that nasty stuff down right away

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If poison ivy is so easy to kill why do they make Roundup with a label that states it is for poison ivy and brush? I believe it costs more than regular Roundup. I bought the poison ivy variety once. It worked but I always wondered if regular Roundup would work just as well.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Round up kills every green plant. 2-4-D kills broad leaf plants and leaves the grasses alone. I could get more technical with big science words, but that's the jist of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76