Pontoons for fishing?

Bobkat

Established Member
I recently. Bought a 20 foot pontoon primarily for cruising around on hot days, scuba diving, etc. and above all, fishing! Trolling and anchored anchovies/ shad/bait type Linde type tackle.
I see lots of pontoons these days in ND rivers and lakes but do many of you used them for semi serious walleye killing? I realize they are not go fast fiberglass glitter boats, but how do they rate with boat control on not too windy days, moderate waves, boat control, etc. within reason, of course. Lots of the fishing models have an opening in the front for electric trolling motors,etc. are these practical in low wind conditions, etc. lots of fishing models have multiple live and bait wells too.
Any experience or opinions welcomed.
BTW, I still have my 17 foot Lund with Ulterra, so might be able to compare them better come spring.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most guides have went to pontoons here. They are smoother in the wind and more room . Boat control with drift socks is ok not as precise as a boat. When I had mine the wind never kept me from going. Each has the plus and minus.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You get any wind and it’s like a sail. They are roomy and handle waves well but if the wind comes up you might want to switch to trolling with one. From my experience anyways.

Bobkat

Established Member
From my limited experience I Rhine you are correct, Fester. Even with a couple of neat pyrodex anchors with long ropes and heavy lead chains, much wind makes them drag along no matter what.
Kurtr, down here I see most of the home based commercial guides seem to be switching to pontoons and Tritons. Partly because trolling here has been pretty unproductive the last couple of years, and most are still fishing with casting and lindy stuff.
I have a 90 mercury on my 20 footer. Fishing model and amazed how slow the darned thing can go for slow trolling and how quiet that engine is. Even with my hearing aids turned up Ioften have to look back to confirm it’s running by the pee hole water. Quietist and smoothest engine I’ve ever owned and seems to troll on windless days slower than my u,terra and Lund at home.
Only tops put at about 30 mph and was easily passed today by another boat, looked about 50 -60 feet long and had FIVE 450 mercy’s hung on the back! Looked like an ICBM shooting through the water horizontally! Don’t want to pay his gas bill! Told me he burned only 100 octane at $9.50 a gallon! Ouch!

Fenced In

I recently. Bought a 20 foot pontoon primarily for cruising around on hot days, scuba diving, etc. and above all, fishing! Trolling and anchored anchovies/ shad/bait type Linde type tackle.
I see lots of pontoons these days in ND rivers and lakes but do many of you used them for semi serious walleye killing? I realize they are not go fast fiberglass glitter boats, but how do they rate with boat control on not too windy days, moderate waves, boat control, etc. within reason, of course. Lots of the fishing models have an opening in the front for electric trolling motors,etc. are these practical in low wind conditions, etc. lots of fishing models have multiple live and bait wells too.
Any experience or opinions welcomed.
BTW, I still have my 17 foot Lund with Ulterra, so might be able to compare them better come spring.
I have a buddy on devils that would rather fish outta his tritoon than his glass boat. Think about the fishing space it’s like fishing off a gym for with all the room. Also the reason why IMO a tiller is the best fishing boat out there for the room.

Btmbncr

I had a 18ft Sylvan fishing pontoon. I made a mount on the front to accomadate a 10 hp mercury kicker. I was able to raise and lower the motor and start from the cockpit. It was great to control the toon! Imagine what an electric troller does now put 10hp on the front and contol was great! As far as fishing goes its awesome! i caught my largest wally from it. Just need a long handle net, and your set! Sure do miss that rig.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a chance to buy a toon ----- i just couldnt do it. My buddy has one in fact everyone i know has one. We all tie up for cocktail hour cept me i am the black sheep of da famdamily-- my boat moves away from the little lake hav party and sits on spot lock until were ready to go home.

The older i get the more i want a bass boat. I am that guy that thinks he is still 20. It will kill my legs and back but i am going to be that guy that just doesnt want to show age.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up on a pontoon and used it into my 30's. There are days I'd prefer it over a 21 ft Ranger. What I've seen the guides do is rig a kicker on the back. The one I saw they were using in a tournament. We were following it to weigh-ins and took some time to overtake it. It had a big 250 on it and had to be going about 50mph. They had rigged a kicker on it of course. I know a guide by Pollock ordered a new one to his specifications and put a center council on it. Which would make sense for guiding.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been using pontoon on the Missouri at times when too lazy to launch boat or more that 2 g kids want to tag along. Wondering if talon / power pole would be worth trying on the toon? Have not found an anchor setup that works with wind.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still really enjoy fishing with my Toon. 22 ft with a 150 Merc on it along and an 80 lb Ulterra.

While I overall love fishing on the Toon because it's kind of like fishing in your living room, there are a few things that could be better.

1. Mine's a 2013 model, so well before they figured out that a person really shouldn't put Berber carpet on a fishing rig of any type. Hooks and dog nails are hard on the carpet. If you get one, I'd really suggest getting one with the mat-style flooring.

2. I need to mount a rearview mirror for when I backtroll. It's not fun in a crowd.

3. The idiot that designed the plug/pipe drain and overflow for the livewell needs to be slapped. It should be a valve for the drain and simple overflow like a bathroom sink uses. I think Skeeter and some of the higher end fishing boats use this style of drain setup nowadays. The tube that plugs the drain hole in the pontoon live-well gets easily knocked out by a decent load of walleyes on wave filled days.

4. Mounting a trolling motor can be a bitch due to the aluminum flashing on the underside of most newer toons today. Same can be said about wiring anything, that flashing is a real pain in the neck!

5. Toon trailer, go with a bunk. I take my toon for long strolls in the summer to the boat ramp of choice for that particular weekend. If you pull through a bug infested section of highway, you're not going to like scrubbing the bugs off of everything.

6. Get a couple of drift socks. They work well for toon control on windy days.

7. Get at least an extendable fishing net, about 8 ft. Bonus if it's also collapsible so it can be stored easily. I have a version of the Stowmaster brand that I really like, despite its weight.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still really enjoy fishing with my Toon. 22 ft with a 150 Merc on it along and an 80 lb Ulterra.

While I overall love fishing on the Toon because it's kind of like fishing in your living room, there are a few things that could be better.

1. Mine's a 2013 model, so well before they figured out that a person really shouldn't put Berber carpet on a fishing rig of any type. Hooks and dog nails are hard on the carpet. If you get one, I'd really suggest getting one with the mat-style flooring.

2. I need to mount a rearview mirror for when I backtroll. It's not fun in a crowd.

3. The idiot that designed the plug/pipe drain and overflow for the livewell needs to be slapped. It should be a valve for the drain and simple overflow like a bathroom sink uses. I think Skeeter and some of the higher end fishing boats use this style of drain setup nowadays. The tube that plugs the drain hole in the pontoon live-well gets easily knocked out by a decent load of walleyes on wave filled days.

4. Mounting a trolling motor can be a bitch due to the aluminum flashing on the underside of most newer toons today. Same can be said about wiring anything, that flashing is a real pain in the neck!

5. Toon trailer, go with a bunk. I take my toon for long strolls in the summer to the boat ramp of choice for that particular weekend. If you pull through a bug infested section of highway, you're not going to like scrubbing the bugs off of everything.

6. Get a couple of drift socks. They work well for toon control on windy days.

7. Get at least an extendable fishing net, about 8 ft. Bonus if it's also collapsible so it can be stored easily. I have a version of the Stowmaster brand that I really like, despite its weight.
Alan , supposing you were just slip bobber fishing , and hanging out with mostly kids on the water , how many could be comfortable on a 22' ? We had small one when our kids were young and we had a lot of fun on it but eventually went back to boats. Since then, we have been blessed with a good crop of grandkids that like to fish , now even a big boat is too small.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alan , supposing you were just slip bobber fishing , and hanging out with mostly kids on the water , how many could be comfortable on a 22' ? We had small one when our kids were young and we had a lot of fun on it but eventually went back to boats. Since then, we have been blessed with a good crop of grandkids that like to fish , now even a big boat is too small.

One should be able to fish 7 bobbers, so long as the fish don't have a preferred side of the toon. One in each corner from designated chairs, one off of the couch, the driver, and one off the very front of the toon while sitting on a cooler.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would work for us . Not sure what I'm looking for yet , just kicking ideas around and watching classifieds Don't need a big engine but would be ok with one as long as you could troll with it. I'm ok giving up boat control for more relaxation but for sure want the ability to troll all day if need be and have a backup motor that will get me back to shore if need be. I'm kicking around the idea of more of a utility type open floor setting where me and a couple grandsons could pitch a tent and do overnighters . They would love that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 150 Merc 4-S on a 22 ft tritoon idles at about 2.2 - 2.5 mph in forward gear and a medium load of humans. Closer to 1.3 mph in reverse at idle. Hence why I pull spinners a lot of time in reverse if the wind isn't favorable.

If idling in forward, I best be pulling cranks as it's too fast for the cheap spinners and swivels I use.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recommendations : ( from other owners )
Tritoon, if in budget
No carpet
Extended net
90 hp 4 STROKE (or more)
Couple digger anchors
Drift sock ( or 2 )
24 v (at least ) foot control / remote *** do not like remote only option ***
Built in wash down system

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 60 merc on mine and it went about 18mph. Could troll really slow i always ran drift socks out the front and back trolled made control really good. I never used the electric trolling motor most times just took it off as it was in the way

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey,
Fished with a buddy out of his pontoon a ton on Sak. @Allen and @wslayer were spot on with their posts. My buddy didn't have an electric troller on any of his toons. We just opened the front door and kicked out a drift sock and trolled. Worked perfect. I'm betting you and the kids would really like the extra elbow room for fishing. Send us some pics if you decide to pull the trigger on a toon!
Fish On!!

NodakBob

Honored Member
Recommendations : ( from other owners )
Tritoon, if in budget
No carpet
Extended net
90 hp 4 STROKE (or more)
Couple digger anchors
Drift sock ( or 2 )
24 v (at least ) foot control / remote *** do not like remote only option ***
Built in wash down system
I would add a live well to that, and a rear swim ladder that doesnt stick up too far and get in the way. I don’t have a trolling motor on mine, when it gets windy I forgo jigging and just troll.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75