Project ideas for a 13yo

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of great ideas here guys.
He does play baseball and football, but those are over for a while. During the spring, summer, and fall he's quite industrious. It's these winter months, and if we had some snow, this probably wouldn't have even come up. He loves building forts and rodding the snowmobile.

And I do limit his screen time. It's the damn school issued ipad that became a problem. I finally had it the other night and told him it stays in his backpack unless he can prove he has legitimate school business on it.

3d printing is a good idea, and one that he's mentioned interest in himself. I'll look into that.

Another idea I had is building an enclosed deer blind in the garage. He deer hunts, and there's a good spot for one on my quarter. I've looked into just buying one because I typically have more money than time, but I really like the idea of a project that not only encourages learning, but also results in something useful.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I work with a guy, that has a son that makes lanyards, for duck or predator calls. You tube taught him how to braid 550 paracord. He makes pretty good money making them.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
At age 13. Bought at age 12, had a license. Paid $50. Nothing work on it but spent many hours, time and days working on it when not working on the family farm. Picture of a slide so not the best quality. Times i just sat behind the steering wheel pretending a young lady sitting by my side and cruising main street. Neither happen but still great memories of that cruising. 52 Buick Super, straight 8 hardtop. What more could a 13-year-old want or wish for. 1959 db
20240124_210000[1].jpg
Young gal flashing her boobs

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just the thought of the possibility of that when i was a teenager or for that matter later in life will get one off the computer. db

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another idea I had is building an enclosed deer blind in the garage. He deer hunts, and there's a good spot for one on my quarter. I've looked into just buying one because I typically have more money than time, but I really like the idea of a project that not only encourages learning, but also results in something useful.
Sounds like the perfect project right there.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Lots of great ideas. When I was that age my Dad had me making fishing tackle, arrows, reloading shells, I even mounted deer horns as a side job at that age. Doing art and learning guitar were other winter pastimes

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Teach him to weld. Lots of farmers have small repair projects they don't have time or inclination to do and many take the winter off so to speak. Making custom gates for livestock guys, small patch jobs on carts, trailers, or other sheet metal, fixing cracked tongues, the list is endless. He can actually earn his own money and start to develop financial skills. With welding knowledge and experience he will never be without an income. Good Luck!!!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get into hydro dipping for under $100, and it is very easy to produce great quality products. Let him use his device to watch You Tube videos on how to do it, order the product needed and let him dip away. You can dip just about anything and if he does it right and brings some of the things he does to school he may even be able to make a few buck dipping things for other students.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put together spinner building kits for g kids. Started out be tying some snells and having g kids complete by adding beads & clevis. With a bit of instruction & quality control, they have made enough spinners in various lengths and hook combinations to last a couple of years for fam & friends! Prob cost me $50 to make up 3 kits of hooks, beads, clevis, blades and line.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you considered buying Dakota Tackle in Bismarck? Your son could be the assistant manager :D

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If looking for strength building and farm boy project I will be needing some oak and ash wood split for the smoker. No power splitter just good old fashion 25# splitting maul, good upper body building and if you want to make life easier learn where to hit accurately.
I also am not against free labor either :)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Teach him to weld. Lots of farmers have small repair projects they don't have time or inclination to do and many take the winter off so to speak. Making custom gates for livestock guys, small patch jobs on carts, trailers, or other sheet metal, fixing cracked tongues, the list is endless. He can actually earn his own money and start to develop financial skills. With welding knowledge and experience he will never be without an income. Good Luck!!!

When I was a sophomore and junior in HS, I made over a hundred portable corral panels. We still have a few that the cows haven't wrecked. About 12 years ago I made a UTV (for a Honda Pioneer and Polaris Ranger) fence crossing so my elderly stepdad didn't have to get out of the UTV and open a gate. It worked really, really well and I'd have to imagine there is a bit of a hidden market out there for them.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of good, fun things have happened in the past for many on here.

Hope you can find what the kid has an interest in and are able to support him/her with that and he/she grabs a hold of that.
Maybe the lucky one gowning up as no computer, only a party line phone and not even a tv tell maybe around 12 or so. 32 volt and deco batteries, radio, in time even running water.

Brother and I did have search and destroy games with our Red Ryder and sling shots with each other. As i look back that was not the best way to spend our time. It did hurt now and then.
4-H was a big thing for me and growing up a farm there were countless things to be done. Loved the wrench and all the junk to use one on.
Hope you find that special thing and all the good times and memories it will bring for all. Why we have kids. It will make them easier to raise. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
3d printing is a good idea, and one that he's mentioned interest in himself. I'll look into that.

If he is interested, I;d go for it. Those things are built to last a long time, our grandson got his 3 or 4 years ago and he has made a lot of stuff with it . Seems like it's always running. After seeing the stuff he makes with it , I kind of want one too.

Another thing that sparks interest in some kids is ND State parks puts on a one day survival seminar for kids. Our two oldest grandsons went and they were into starting fires and firecrackers with magnifying glasses before but the seminar but holey cow that seminar pushed them to a new level. One of them told me tonight that he is going to trapping school but there was so much activity at the time that I didn't get the details. I see NDGF puts them on in Feb that must be what he was talking about.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beings no one else has said this, I'm going to be that guy.

Hookers and blow!! ...rofl...

Please forgive me Father for I have sinned.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88