Propane problem

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That last 2 times out fishing I have had problems with liquid propane being in the hose and having to drain it before the heater would work. What causes this? I have a buddy heater with the fuel filter. Never had a problem with it in the garage but once I get to the fishing spot it acts up. I haul my heater hooked up to the tank. Would the bouncing around when taking it out of the pickup cause this?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always have my tank disconnected from 20# tank on transport of my big buddy. I have had hit and miss problems lighting with the know on the heater and carry a lighter just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

I can look at my setup and get you pics if you need. I don't have a filter either

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might have a bad fill valve, no way should there be liquid propane in your hose. It should turn to gas as soon as it hits the air. It is only in liquid form under pressure.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have a bad fill valve, no way should there be liquid propane in your hose. It should turn to gas as soon as it hits the air. It is only in liquid form under pressure.

I'll give it a try with a different tank and see if that helps.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the behavior when this happens?

- - - Updated - - -

ie What does heater do to alert you of the problem?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Flamethrower-1.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

It just won't get hot. I'll have it on hi and it will barely be glowing. Once I take the Hose off the tank and drain it then it works fine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sunflower does it too. It's the overflow protection valve. When you crack the valve you must crack it slooooowly. The line has lost pressure since the last time you used it. So if you crack it fast the propane in the tank rushes out to fill the void (no back pressure). The OPV is designed to prevent explosions (opening bottle valve in a building with nothing attached for example). So the valve puts a halt to "no backpressure fast flow"... as it's designed to do. If you listen carefully you can hear the safety valve go "click" as it is forced up by fast flow into the seat where it then halts 95% of flow or some such.

If you then close off any heater flow and the bottle valve and wait you will eventually hear another "click" as the OPV needle thingy drops back down out of the seat because equilibrium has been established (same pressure now exists between the hand valve and your bottle's interior - with the OPV sitting in between the two). Now that there's backpressure you can open up bottle valve slowly letting the tubing also get up to pressure and only then turn on your heater flow. It won't trouble you again until you have low pressure in the hose and are too quick to open the bottle.

the regulator in your heater becomes the new high-to-low pressure regime - pressure equilibrium remains between your bottle and the hose - so even if heater is allowing lots of flow your OPV won't kick in.

hope that makes sense

- - - Updated - - -

Safety Valve , Next time close the valve on the tank and open it again slow.

Ha ha - faster and more succinct than guywhoblabsaboutpressuresflowsandsuchtoomuch

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha - faster and more succinct than guywhoblabsaboutpressuresflowsandsuchtoomuch[/QUOTE]

LOL Are you the #guywho writes up the instructions how to assemble barbeque grills ?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guywhofishes is spot on with his long rendishion he must have googled it or he teaches propane safety classes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
pv = nrt

a graduate level physics - or physical chemistry course or two - and you get real good at imagining what's going on in there

if not you picked a bad career choice!

:;:rockit

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
FA/RM/ER

A graduate from the school of hard knocks. If anything ever quits cycle it a few times , If that don't work shake it a couple times and bang it if need be . If it still won't work google it until it either works again or ends up in the scrap pile.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
FA/RM/ER

A graduate from the school of hard knocks. If anything ever quits cycle it a few times , If that don't work shake it a couple times and bang it if need be . If it still won't work google it until it either works again or ends up in the scrap pile.

I had a farmer friend once tell me if you "cant duck it, fuck it" do you have that gorilla tape as a "tool" in your shop???

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31