Property taxes

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a kid i bought a Nichol derringer cap gun. Never found it again and no idea what happen to it but today i won the bid not only on a Nichols derringer but also a Hubley.
Life is now good again. Wiil go on wall with my two Roy Rogers holsters i had as a kid. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What was the thinking back then to sell this land and then keep the mineral rights?

After the thirties my dad bought his uncle's 3 quarters of land from FLB they had reposes from him.
As i understood, paid $2,700 for those 3 quarters. Sold the uncle's house for $900 and crop 30 acres. Balance was quack grass for winter pasture. In 3 years had it paid for. FLB did keep the mineral rights.

However, i strongly believe all mineral rights need to stay with the land and not treated as a separate item. Same with those who want to keep hunting rights.
State needs to dead those rights back to the surface landowner as does FLB. db

What the hell? Are you seriously talking about stealing one's property and giving it to someone else? Most of the time in private sales, the land was offered up at $XXX per acre including minerals. OR, you could choose to buy just the surface acres at $XXX - $XX. Most of the people buying land considered themselves farmers, not investors. So they budgeted for the purchase of the surface rights in order to be able to grow a crop with an overall lower cost for the land.

What you are proposing is straight-up theft. WTF?

FWIW, there are also minerals owned by the State dating back to the 30s and 40s where a farmer needed a loan to stay on the farm. The State legislature, being quite ag friendly, wrote legislation that gave them loans at well below market rates with the buy-down on the interest rates being provided by giving the "worthless" minerals to the State for a lower interest rate. Remember, oil wasn't discovered in ND until 1953(?), so most of those landowners realistically had little to no interest in owning minerals, and the State did because they wanted gravel for roads. The minerals for lower interest rates also brought along the few legislators who weren't necessarily as ag friendly and wanted to make sure non-ag voices in the state received something for subsidizing the below market interest rates.

I know a few people whose grandpappy traded his minerals to the state in order to receive favorable loans. Lots of those people's grandkids and great grandchildren are pissed as hell at the State, but should probably be just as angry at dear ol' gramps for doing what he had to do to keep the land as they now miss out on royalties even though they still enjoy the benefits of owning the surface acres that gramps would have probably lost without that loan program.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
like i said, it will never happen.
For me the theft came from the state. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
like i said, it will never happen.
For me the theft came from the state. db

That literally makes no sense.

To those who inherited land without minerals because gramps sold them, sorry...them's the breaks. Maybe gramps was a better businessman than a farmer when he made the decision to keep the land at the cost of those worthless minerals?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It seems to me that gramps did not sell the rights, the state just took them.
Same as when my dad bought land from FLB who had repo the land from his uncle. Dad had no choice as they just kept 50%.
I was not around when a lot of this went down but i fail to understand why mineral rights were kept by someone who was there to help the farmer out.
Tell me why FLB kept something of no value. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Someone, a non-landowner, must of knew about their value. Why else did they keep them? db

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were ahead of times , no different than playing stock market. A friend's dad was in the implement business and took mineral rights in trade from those who were struggling when times were tough. They made out like fat rats .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88