Property taxes

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back when i was a kid a time or two the horses got us to town and no 4x4 but drove the vehicle across the open field until we found a way to the main road. Dad did get a snow blower hook to the front of the WD-9 that did a fair amount of work. We were on a bus route for us kids, so the plow came to get us to school. Once us kids were gone Dad got a decent snowblower and for the most part open up the road to the county road. At one time the old style farmhand did move a lot of snow. db
We had a "crows nest farmhand loader" with an 8' snow bucket on an A johnny popper that dad moved a lot of snow with. Blizzard of 66 there was just pathways around the yard and if it was'nt for that loader we would have lost most of our beef cows. Milk cows were all in the barn and I had to haul water for them from the well house because dad would not let them out of the barn. Dam Holstien would stick her head in a 5gal bucket of water and inhale it in one gulp. Hauled buckets of water for 24 milk cows and 30 head of beef cows with calves was an all day job. Hung on ropes between house and barn and barn and well house so you knew where you was at. Never wanted to go through that again. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a "crows nest farmhand loader" with an 8' snow bucket on an A johnny popper that dad moved a lot of snow with. Blizzard of 66 there was just pathways around the yard and if it was'nt for that loader we would have lost most of our beef cows. Milk cows were all in the barn and I had to haul water for them from the well house because dad would not let them out of the barn. Dam Holstien would stick her head in a 5gal bucket of water and inhale it in one gulp. Hauled buckets of water for 24 milk cows and 30 head of beef cows with calves was an all day job. Hung on ropes between house and barn and barn and well house so you knew where you was at. Never wanted to go through that again. LB

Back then you worked with what you had. My dad dug a basement for a house with a super M with a farmhand. No idea how he did it but I bet it was a few long days. And no power steering

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Davey is correct they didn't have a backhoe or excavator most used their farmall tractors to dig out a basement. The house I grew up was also dug out with a tractor and a good indicator of that was an outside cellar doors.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power steering, what the hell was that. I used left or right brake to help turn. LB
Back in the day we had Armstrong power steering on everything! ...rofl...

When we built our "new" house in 59 & 60, Dad dug the basement with the old U Moline with a farm hand loader on it.
The new house was 2 old country schools houses that we gutted and pushed together. I had to live in a school house after coming home from school.
Needless to say our farmhouse was "active" and sometimes people didn't believe it until they spent an overnight in it. Nothing terrible just some activity now and then. Foot steps down the hallway and things moving or getting moved, lights turning on and things like that.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Try to move dirt with the old farmhand loader which did not work well. Cable control the bucket and rams were single action. No, it did not work and to dig a whole basement was something else.
And i had a friend with wife whose house most every night had issue which included things getting move and lights coming on. I would of never stay.

So yes, i believe.
Those black and white cows ate and drank three times what a beef cow did. db

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see the common school trust fund is distributed throughout the state for schools as well as colleges/universities. So you think that it will also produce enough funding to pay for county/township needs for the entire state. I read the info on the common school land trust and the article in the minot newsletter talking about the proposed new school. Well if you are looking for a solution to fixing the prices of property taxes by the ways of using the cslt for immediate use rather then what is proposed by the committees stance that money is for the future of North Dakota i say good luck with that because in reality 5 billion used by ever school district as well as college/university that money wouldn't last 10 years. In one year $366,756,000 is used by for public education purposes, that's just for the cost of students per year. So if you say that on avg for 10 years it goes up by 20 percent for an avg of 425000000 - 4.3 billion for 10 years and that's just for students. Sorry eye it's not a viable option unless you can get the state government to amend the state constitution to close some of those college/university as well as local schools who only have a couple dozen kids.
The school land trust fund has I believe in excess of five billion. And grows rapidly. One section in each township is set aside to fund this trust. It includes minerals also I believe. It’s growing at a far more rapid rate than anyone expected. This fund was established to fund education in its entirety. That’s what should be happening. So if that was happening 50-60% of property taxes could be eliminated by one swipe of the pen sine 50-60% of property taxes now go to education.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The school land trust fund has I believe in excess of five billion. And grows rapidly. One section in each township is set aside to fund this trust. It includes minerals also I believe. It’s growing at a far more rapid rate than anyone expected. This fund was established to fund education in its entirety. That’s what should be happening. So if that was happening 50-60% of property taxes could be eliminated by one swipe of the pen sine 50-60% of property taxes now go to education.
Ok now your compromising eye, (y)you feel that the cslt can be used to help cut our property taxes. I can live with that rather then lets get rid of property taxes all together, so would that be across the board tax relief or would you help those who are effected more by tax burden who live closer to the schools. Your arguments for tax relief makes a more valid point that i feel north dakota could get beind
This article makes some valid points
https://www.minotdailynews.com/opin.../here-we-go-again-lets-do-it-right-this-time/

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know some townships sold there school land
And I know of some land that the owner had a real estate loan with FSA and the bank of ND. Lost the land in the 80s and the bank of ND kept that land and turned it into stateland. 7 1/2 quarters.

I rent a quarter of stateland and if the state would sell it I'd buy it in a heartbeat as it lays right next to my land on three sides.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It was my understanding when nd became a state a condition by the federal gov. section 16 and then 36 were to be used to fund education.
But on the atlas not all this land is own by the state anymore.
What happen here? db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
and how many acres of mineral right does the state have? my home place the state owns the mineral rights

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok now your compromising eye, (y)you feel that the cslt can be used to help cut our property taxes. I can live with that rather then lets get rid of property taxes all together, so would that be across the board tax relief or would you help those who are effected more by tax burden who live closer to the schools. Your arguments for tax relief makes a more valid point that i feel north dakota could get beind
This article makes some valid points
https://www.minotdailynews.com/opin.../here-we-go-again-lets-do-it-right-this-time/
I’ll break this down more. Look at your property tax statement. It tells you how much goes to the school district. Well that much would be paid each year from the land trust. For simplicity it’s roughly half of your tax bill. So, that much of your tax bill is take care of. Now let’s look at the other half of the tax statement. All that money could easily be funded via the dozens of funds the state has. One example being the legacy fund, simply because it’s the most commonly known account. But there’s dozens. You could wipe out the remaining 50% of property taxes via these funds. Now, that being said, the legislature will ultimately decide how to replace that money. They can do an unlimited number of things. From sales tax increases to anything you can imagine using. Now the thing to remember is we only need to end property taxes on one’s primary residence. Not secondary residences nor commercial. Commercial makes up an enormous part of the property tax structure. And no reason to end property taxes on farm land either. That’s a business. We are simply talking about being able to own one’s home free and clear without government having their foot in the door. So when you exclude ending property taxes on these other things I mentioned it isn’t that much in the overall scheme of things in comparison to the absurd amount of money the state takes in. Don’t complicate this. Nothing will change but the funding source. Counties will still do what counties do in regards to valuations etc. they will simply send the property tax statement to the state. Now the state can contest the tax increases just like we are allowed to do. No different.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ll break this down more. Look at your property tax statement. It tells you how much goes to the school district. Well that much would be paid each year from the land trust. For simplicity it’s roughly half of your tax bill. So, that much of your tax bill is take care of. Now let’s look at the other half of the tax statement. All that money could easily be funded via the dozens of funds the state has. One example being the legacy fund, simply because it’s the most commonly known account. But there’s dozens. You could wipe out the remaining 50% of property taxes via these funds. Now, that being said, the legislature will ultimately decide how to replace that money. They can do an unlimited number of things. From sales tax increases to anything you can imagine using. Now the thing to remember is we only need to end property taxes on one’s primary residence. Not secondary residences nor commercial. Commercial makes up an enormous part of the property tax structure. And no reason to end property taxes on farm land either. That’s a business. We are simply talking about being able to own one’s home free and clear without government having their foot in the door. So when you exclude ending property taxes on these other things I mentioned it isn’t that much in the overall scheme of things in comparison to the absurd amount of money the state takes in. Don’t complicate this. Nothing will change but the funding source. Counties will still do what counties do in regards to valuations etc. they will simply send the property tax statement to the state. Now the state can contest the tax increases just like we are allowed to do. No different.
And you will have my vote......well said!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So @eyexer exer as you are saying above, you would or could own your house but not your land IF you own agricultural land?
The general consensus for abolishing property taxes is to be able to fully own your own home and now be under the thumb of government with it. Farmers that live on their farms currently don’t pay property taxes on their homesteads. Most people don’t know or remember that. So they’ve already had that privilege forever. Land is a source of income and should continue to collect property taxes just like commercial property. If I had it my way there would be no property taxes of any kind. But it would be a tough sell. This would be a perfect compromise. Tillable land isn’t assessed that much property taxation when you look at the income it brings in. Very small potatoes compared to multi million dollar commercial structures.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn 8 pages....thats what happens when you start a property tax thread, Some good points said, end of year is my least favorite time...fudging taxes BS.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes eye has offered an olive branch to the opposite side by coming to an compromise that instead of abolishing property taxes outright, he believes that the cslt can remedy property tax increases. Does anyone here think that the cslt can actually handle an increase in funds without hurting the sole purpose of the trust and that is for student expenses?

There has been quite a few threads on this very subject of property taxes and this one i believe could make a viable argument to propose a bill that would look to increase the funding of the cslt when an increase in property taxes is needed.

Get to it eye you have been one of the most vocal about property taxe relief especially since you live smack dab in oil country. Even that article which brought much insight into the arguments of utilizing more funding made some compelling arguments for allowing the trust to be used more for funding new projects like a school then increasing the burden on to property owners.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn 8 pages....thats what happens when you start a property tax thread, Some good points said, end of year is my least favorite time...fudging taxes BS.
Now that I'm a home owner and no longer paying rent, I too would like to see a change in the way our taxes are being used especially with the way our federal government seems to be helping everyone else in the world instead of helping our tax paying American first.
It would be interested though how other states use their cslt compared to north dakota

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88