Property taxes

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why can't we use the interest payments to eliminate school funding from our property taxes?

My fricking tax bill is $3,850 and the school gets $2,500 of that while the damn county can't even afford to keep the fricking highway past my house cleared of snow! There is something seriously wrong with this funding method!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why can't we use the interest payments to eliminate school funding from our property taxes?

My fricking tax bill is $3,850 and the school gets $2,500 of that while the damn county can't even afford to keep the fricking highway past my house cleared of snow! There is something seriously wrong with this funding method!!!
Agreed, I am all for the property tax elimination. It is long over due. We have the resources to fill in the gap. Pretty soon the feds are going to take that fund for the good of some other shit state that needs it... it might happen. Either way property tax can disappear with no pain point noticed.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it was brought up to be eliminated some years back, it shouldn't have been voted down in the first place.
Government used their usual scare tactics to get voters to vote against eliminating it.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of the Legacy Fund should be handed out to the tax payers every year
Do not do this. There is enough government welfare. If people want oil money, there is plenty of opportunity to go make oil money. The PFD in Alaska is a disgraceful joke.

It should be used for services and only if it lowers taxes.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

We don’t need any other funding source for school aside from the school land trust. If I recall it has well over five billion in it and grows rapidly. That’s what the trust was intended for.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do not do this. There is enough government welfare. If people want oil money, there is plenty of opportunity to go make oil money. The PFD in Alaska is a disgraceful joke.

It should be used for services and only if it lowers taxes.
Between the legacy fund and school land trust there is zero need for property taxes at all.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Between the legacy fund and school land trust there is zero need for property taxes at all.
Right on, that's what it should be used for then. Not sent out in checks to every resident across the board. I wish Alaska followed that model and used our oil fund to pay for schools and eliminate property and other taxes.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a good starting point is just give every homeowner a property tax deduction, say 20% or whatever can be negotiated, and whatever that comes out to that is your property tax liability for as long as you own and live in your house, it can NEVER go up. Once you sell then the new owner would pay the going tax rate and then be locked in. Any road or funding shortfalls gets covered by the legacy fund.
Property tax elimination is a long shot, lets start with PERMANENT relief and go from there, maybe someday we could eliminate property taxes but I dont see it happening right now and am tired of my property taxes going up every year

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has there been a recent ballot measure on killing property taxes? I know there was for legalizing recreational MJ......priorities I guess.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a good starting point is just give every homeowner a property tax deduction, say 20% or whatever can be negotiated, and whatever that comes out to that is your property tax liability for as long as you own and live in your house, it can NEVER go up. Once you sell then the new owner would pay the going tax rate and then be locked in. Any road or funding shortfalls gets covered by the legacy fund.
Property tax elimination is a long shot, lets start with PERMANENT relief and go from there, maybe someday we could eliminate property taxes but I dont see it happening right now and am tired of my property taxes going up every year
Relief is supposedly happening but the system is so rigged that it doesn't. Every year the fricking mills go up so the "relief" disappears or in most cases actually increases our tax bill. It's a shell game they play.

Eliminating it is the only solution IMO. The state has the money to do it but the legislatures are so used to raping us they will never do it on their own. It's going to have to be by measure. Should be on the ballot every year until it finally passes!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has there been a recent ballot measure on killing property taxes? I know there was for legalizing recreational MJ......priorities I guess.
Been ten years or so since it was on the ballot. Since then the state had grown numerous funds well into the billions. It’s now time it goes bye bye. If they eliminate it then they will be forced to be far more fiscally responsible

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Relief is supposedly happening but the system is so rigged that it doesn't. Every year the fricking mills go up so the "relief" disappears or in most cases actually increases our tax bill. It's a shell game they play.

Eliminating it is the only solution IMO. The state has the money to do it but the legislatures are so used to raping us they will never do it on their own. It's going to have to be by measure. Should be on the ballot every year until it finally passes!
First of all they have been claiming they will fix it for forty plus years. Never happens. And what little they do is a token gesture and is never permanent.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That won’t suffice. They’ll just raise the mills etc. counties are drunk on the money. It has to be eliminated or a substantial reduction that’s permanent. 20% is a trivial amount at this point.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing beneficial with term limits is we should be able to get people in there that want to eliminate it. But a ballot measure will be the best and quickest way. I know a lot of people that voted against it when it came up. They have now seen the light and realize the mistake they made

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ELIMINATE PROPERTY TAXES! Like others have stated, relief is a distracting pasification. Now our liberal governor wants to distract with eliminating income tax.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
That won’t suffice. They’ll just raise the mills etc. counties are drunk on the money. It has to be eliminated or a substantial reduction that’s permanent. 20% is a trivial amount at this point.
They can raise mills all they want, your property taxes are locked in and couldnt be raised as long as you own your home. Once you sell, new owner would be taxed and whatever the current tax rate is and be locked into that amount until they would sell. It would at least prevent property tax increases for people who own property, but you would still have property taxes in place.
This is what they do in CA and it does work believe it or not

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we pay enough. It would be wonderful if we actually had to pay out of every dime we pull in directly to the IRS, rather than it getting garnished and auto paid. We would scream a lot louder if we actually paid attention and had to write that check weekly. Not just on income, but sales, gas, property, SS, state, unemployment, etc.
Your big pay check getting cut into pieces to the point where you have 25% - 35% left just to open your eyes would be neat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11