Quiet Pellet Gun

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may need to eradicate some sparrows in town where shooting an air rifle would be frowned upon if one were caught. Is there anything out there that is super quiet?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may need to eradicate some sparrows in town where shooting an air rifle would be frowned upon if one were caught. Is there anything out there that is super quiet?
lure them onto the ground in a hidden corner of the yard with sparrow-tempting food and whack them there

OR trap them

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha you're never going to put a dent in your sparrow population, my dad killed every grackle he saw at his feeders, and they always came back.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old guy in my hometown, had a old 22 and would put a big potatoe on the end of the gun somehow with a hole in it as a silencer for in town backyard rodent patrol.. suprizingly would work pretty good.. He also did the pop bottle trick detailed above.. RIP Westly

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sparrows? Any cheap bb gun,seems all pellet rifles have a loud thrang (.177 cal) been down this road,even bought a a Crossman quiet .177 for vermon at my place, my .22 long rifle shooting cci quiet loads way better but to much hp for city sparrow
Mpo.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how much damage a sparrow can be doing ? I use a homemade slingshot rifle with red dot and a $ 10 trigger. It's just as accurate as the 760 pump pellet gun but packs a way bigger punch on gophers and chipmunks I imagine a direct hit on a sparrow with a glass marble would knock it back10 feet or better.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Generally speaking, a multi-pump pellet/BB rifle is much softer noise than a break-action/single pump. I have a few of both, both .177 & .22 cal, and this seems to ring pretty true!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
None are I have looked for years they are all so noisy with design. Suprise someone has not come out with one.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sparrows are competing with purple martins for access to my gourds. I’ve tried hazing the feisty little suckers but they can’t take a hint. Guy’s suggestions have some merit. Rather than shooting or even trying to trap them up by the gourds, maybe I can lure them somewhere handier.
I don’t own a pellet/BB gun currently so thought one of you experts could recommend a silent one. Perhaps this one:

Gamo Wildcat Whisper .177 Caliber Air Rifle​

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbors are too close to be spraying BBs and such. With my luck, I would hit a window for sure.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
The sparrows are competing with purple martins for access to my gourds. I’ve tried hazing the feisty little suckers but they can’t take a hint. Guy’s suggestions have some merit. Rather than shooting or even trying to trap them up by the gourds, maybe I can lure them somewhere handier.
I don’t own a pellet/BB gun currently so thought one of you experts could recommend a silent one. Perhaps this one:

Gamo Wildcat Whisper .177 Caliber Air Rifle​

Stay under 1100 fps, that one is too fast imo

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a pump up model. I have a 20 cal Sheridan and a 177 cal Daisy pump up. You can max out with eight pumps, but three is all it needs for birds and with three pumps its much quieter than my Beeman 177 and 22 cal with the monster suppressor on the end.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sparrows are competing with purple martins for access to my gourds.

That makes sense , do your gourds have a landing strip or just a hole ? I wouldn't mind trying them for the fun of it. We use them for wrens but never tried them for martins.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 48
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 14