'Racist' Pool Safety Poster Brings Red Cross Apology

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
AAhBOCx.jpg

A Red Cross Hospital signboard that carried a "super racist" message about swim safety guidelines for children prompted an apology from the hospital on Tuesday.
The dialogue opened on Twitter after a photo circulated of the poster in Fort Morgan, Colorado. The poster, which has since been taken down, read at the top: "Be Cool, Follow the Rules." Below the heading were depictions of children playing. The white children were labeled as behaving "cool" while children of color were depicted as misbehaving, or "not cool," for breaking pool safety rules.
Red Cross has since confirmed that it has discontinued the production of the poster and has already removed it from the hospital's website and Swim App.

"The American Red Cross appreciates and is sensitive to the concerns raised regarding one of the water safety posters we produced," the hospital released in a statement to NBCBLK. "We deeply apologize for any misunderstanding, as it was absolutely not our intent to offend anyone. As one of the nation's oldest and largest humanitarian organizations, we are committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do, every day."
"Going forward, we are developing more appropriate materials that are more representative of our workforce and the communities we serve," the statement continued. "Our aquatic instructors have been notified of these concerns and we will advocate that our aquatic partner facilities remove the poster until revised materials are available."
But others are still unsatisfied with the Red Cross Hospital's efforts, including the woman who took the photo of the poster.
"I'm just a citizen, I'm not an organization, but I would want the Red Cross to collaborate and build relationships with Black Kids Swim and other organizations that do advocacy around this so that this doesn't happen again," said said Margaret Sawyer, the former executive director of the Mixteco/Indigena Community Organizing Project. "Clearly, they're thinking of themselves as only having one constituency and that's not true."
RELATED: Racist Chinese Laundry Commercial Sparks Outrage
Sawyer had taken the photo after seeing the poster twice while traveling with her family in Colorado over the weekend.
The mother of two first saw the poster at a pool in Salida, Colorado, where she immediately reported her concerns to the lifeguard on duty and wrote a letter to the facility urging the poster to be taken down.
She initially dismissed the matter after leaving the town, convinced that the poster was an outdated by-product of an earlier time.
She was shocked to find the same poster at another pool in Fort Morgan, Colorado, where she decided to take a photo and post it to social media after reporting the photo to management.
"I think it's really important to think about the messages that we're sending kids, I ask for all of us to take that job on," said Sawyer. "I hope the Red Cross will use this as a lesson for taking their role seriously."
Sawyer is now mobilizing efforts to send formal letters to Red Cross and to the mayors of both cities, Salida and Fort Morgan, to demand that the posters be taken down and replaced at pools nationwide.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't figure out what is "uncool" about the kid in the middle of the pool except the male in appearance individual is black. Is "he" holding an Asian under water? How funny would it be to simply switch actions of the colors?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
black_kids_swim_logo_color.jpg

[h=2]Thanks for visiting! Quick question…[/h]
[h=2]Which best describes you?[/h]​

Parent of an amazing swimmer

Big fan of an amazing swimmer

I AM an amazing swimmer!!!

Coach of MANY amazing swimmers

I’m just amazing LOL!

I refuse to answer their probing questions so I will not be logging on to www.blackkidsswim.com

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't figure out what is "uncool" about the kid in the middle of the pool except the male in appearance individual is black. Is "he" holding an Asian under water? How funny would it be to simply switch actions of the colors?

Do Asians swim?

Most horseplay is the result of entropitis

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember mom warning my brothers and I about the short fat black girls wanting to drown us.

Mom - right as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - how damn racist can you get - blackkidsswim - like yellow ones sink?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
In WWII especially; Asians lacked body fat which decreased buoyancy. Their light weight was especially desirable for increased Zero maneuverability and provided increased speed for Kamikaze attacks.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy with the cold one on the top right looks white and is labeled "not cool". Apparently the folks that designed this haven't watched many beer commercials.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I still haven't figured out what Mr. Openmouth is doing wrong either. Any safety nazis out there? Anybody know?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy with the cold one on the top right looks white and is labeled "not cool". Apparently the folks that designed this haven't watched many beer commercials.

..exactly...besides have you been to public pool lately...the little non-english speaking speed bumps are 99.9% of the trouble makers...I do not envy life guards...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still haven't figured out what Mr. Openmouth is doing wrong either. Any safety nazis out there? Anybody know?

"Mr. Openmouth" looks like he's demonstrating his culture's liberal view and benefit of homosexuality to the happy Pollack.

- - - Updated - - -

We may have our "Mr. Openmouths" confused. I see an Asian drowning and a cross-racial handjob.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the kid in the middle is getting his jollies with the grate at the bottom of the pool.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 236
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55