Rain Pants or Waist High Waders?

JoGa

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to get some new rain pants. I've been looking at Guidewear, Simms, etc. but the price is way up there. Being the cheap ass that I am, I stumbled on waist high waders with stocking feet and thought, why not?

Does anyone see a problem with cutting out the stocking feet to make them safer in a boat? Just thinking that since they are meant for immersion in water, they would make great rain gear.

Am I being too cheap, or would these be as good or better than rain gear?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Simms is great but spendy

I think you will get hot in the waders. Cabalas guide gear also makes good raingear for not alotta scratch

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut a hole in a garbage bag and wear it like a skirt. Just tell everyone it's a kilt and you'll be fine.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used the Frogg Toggs before. Not too bad for the price. I actually think Walmart sells them now.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to get some new rain pants. I've been looking at Guidewear, Simms, etc. but the price is way up there. Being the cheap ass that I am, I stumbled on waist high waders with stocking feet and thought, why not?

Does anyone see a problem with cutting out the stocking feet to make them safer in a boat? Just thinking that since they are meant for immersion in water, they would make great rain gear.

Am I being too cheap, or would these be as good or better than rain gear?

I've thought about same thing.

But the ability to "unzip" and take off your raingear off without removing shoes is key. Not sure booty waders would fit over goretex boots or even shoes.

That, and it's critical that rain pants direct rain down around your ankles/shoes as much as possible and onto the floor/ground. Wearing waders with booties designed in would have them directing rain where? Toward your ankles and INTO your footwear. YUCK!

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I each have Columbia brand breathing stocking foot waders for our fly fishing trips. They aren't too hot in warm weather if you don't wear much under them. In cold water, I've been known to wear both trousers and Thermax long johns to stay warm. The breathable fabric is the key. Try shopping at www.SierraTradingPost.com.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74