Rat issue

TDR

I have all the sudden, have rats in my house. In the walls. We live in an old mobile home. We trued bait, they all didn't take it. I thought we had them on the run, until middle of night I seen 5 in my kitchen!. House is clean. I need a way for them to die fast and not stink. I have a dog that is inside and outside, so it has to be bait that won't harm my dog. I am gonna keep it away from him, as much as possible. We need smoke bombs to set off inside and bait. Please understand we don't have much, we are disabled so if it's a $120 bait. I can't try it. What about sulfur from coop. Would it help?

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 or so years ago a farmer moved some grain bins from down the street I had some rats move under my old house,

I have read and it worked do not put out just 1 kind of bait due to the rats being so smart. They realize some got sick from the bait and they avoid it.

I put out 3 kinds of bait at once and a week later either they moved or they were dead as I filled in their tunnels in the dirt basement and they have not been dug out since

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have all the sudden, have rats in my house. In the walls. We live in an old mobile home. We trued bait, they all didn't take it. I thought we had them on the run, until middle of night I seen 5 in my kitchen!. House is clean. I need a way for them to die fast and not stink. I have a dog that is inside and outside, so it has to be bait that won't harm my dog. I am gonna keep it away from him, as much as possible. We need smoke bombs to set off inside and bait. Please understand we don't have much, we are disabled so if it's a $120 bait. I can't try it. What about sulfur from coop. Would it help?
Have you tried the pickle bucket method? Not sure if it works for rats but it works for mice. To keep the smell down and/or if temps are freezing...use anti-freeze in the bottom of bucket versus straight water to drown the bastages when they fall in bucket.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
1725061882525.png

The above is a version of the bucket mouse/rat trap Put this lid on the bucket, bait the diving board, and setup the ramps so the rats and mice can easily get to the top of the bucket. I use a magnetic diving board style out in my hangar during the winter with about a gallon and a half of RV antifreeze. Each spring there are 6-15 dead mice in each bucket. In the house you will be able to use water, just enough so the bastidges drown!

Another good one, but one you will want to keep away from where your dog is allowed, are the glue boards. Mice and rats love to travel along walls, just place the glue boards out and after one is caught, dispatch the rodent and throw the glue board away.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyes with bass lures, rats with cornbread….haha you’re a hoot svn

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's my sad but true mission to be a "hoot".

1725071980056.png

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just one bite is the only brand I've found to work on mice and rats. Something about it they don't stink when they die, or at least I've not smelled them. Some of the rats would be dizzy and dying rolling around on the ground and would have to kill those before the dogs got them.
We have trouble with rats under oats hay and straw bales. I try and pile them far from the yard but it seems we get a few rats in some of the out buildings once in a while.

Or you could get a mink.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are these mice or rats? Didn't realize we had rats in ND. Thought it was just mice?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just one bite is the only brand I've found to work on mice and rats. Something about it they don't stink when they die, or at least I've not smelled them. Some of the rats would be dizzy and dying rolling around on the ground and would have to kill those before the dogs got them.
We have trouble with rats under oats hay and straw bales. I try and pile them far from the yard but it seems we get a few rats in some of the out buildings once in a while.

Or you could get a mink.

Man couldn't they get sick from those rats?

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as I don't like cats, pick a few up...people always giving them away..theyll solve your problem quickly for keeping them away permanently and I'd put 2-3 of those d-con traps in the house with the big pellets as well..they'll chew on them and slowly die back in their nests and not stink..

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much I don't like cats, pick a few up...people always giving them away..theyll solve your problem quick for keeping them away and I'd put 2-3 of those d-con traps in the house with the big pellets as well..they'll chew on them and slowly die back in their nests and not stink..
What Rut2much says. True story. I grew up in a lake home in Minnesota. I can barely remember but everyone had an outhouse and (according to others) you could watch the rats go from outhouse to outhouse. Mom and Dad had just moved there from a rental house located on an inactive farm that still had a few cats hanging around so my dad went there and brought the "old Ma Cat" home as they called her. Voila, the rats disappeared. That's all!

Tinesdown

Established Member
CAT and a MA+MA Cat with kittens to feed is the Best. Rats wlll be gone in a few days. LB
Good bait if space is not a option or away like a lake home 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full water with a board running up like a ramp does the trick for mice or pack rats.

Catfisherman1982

What I had found to work when I got these suckers in my old farmhouse one year was those black snap traps with a hole in the pan...would put some peanut butter in the cup and place 1 almond. Made sure to put the trip pan towards the wall. Worked well also with the common regular snap traps, gotta make sure you put the trip pan against the wall...works very well.

On that note, if you have a bunch in your kitchen they will be nesting in the insulation in your stove...I would check that because they will chew the wires and cause a fire, how my stove was when it stopped working, insulation was charred.

Hope this helps

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 47