Record MN Nontypical Deadhead

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky this wasn’t ND. If you would call the G&F here they woulda confiscated it and it would be hanging in their office.
This has happened to you or somebody you know?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I had it explained to me one time when this rule first came into effect (2003'ish??) was that there were people who simply shot deer and then later on "discovered" the dead deer and were keeping the antlers.

I was miffed by the rule because it immediately made just about every deer mount in the state open to confiscation. Since then I have put my tag on the back of the plaque for all my mounts.

As far as I know, the State has not changed this part of the law. Nor do I know anyone who has run afoul of this and needed to challenge it.

From NDGF's website:
North Dakota Game and Fish Department Logo

Permit Required to Possess Dead Deer​

Mon, 10/31/2016
North Dakota Game and Fish Department enforcement personnel are issuing a reminder that a permit is required before taking possession of a dead deer, or any part of a dead deer such as a skull and antlers, found near a road or in a field. Only shed antlers can be possessed without a permit.
Permits to possess are free and available from game wardens and local law enforcement offices.
In addition, hunters are reminded to properly dispose of dead deer. Harvested deer cannot be left on the side of a roadway or in a ditch, and deer parts cannot be discarded in commercial dumpsters.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
about 10 years ago a neighbor had two bucks with horns locked up really early like in Sept. One buck was dead and coyotes had already started eating it, the wardens ended up shooting the other buck. Neighbors hired man asked if he could have the meat off the buck they shot, warden said no, winched it on his truck and left.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not too far S of MLPS. Sorta like those giants in IL out in the Northern suburbs of Chicago.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every monster buck I see these days is tainted by the thought it's just as likely a mutant escapee from a trophy deer farm... not a product of unassisted natural selection and habitat. In ND I guess a giant buck is still almost certain to be a natural occurrence.

Depressing somehow nonetheless. Humans have a habit of ruining almost everything we "love" at some point.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84