RR Red River 5-16-23

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are in the river! Grand Forks north landing is open and clean. The river is 25 feet and some change which is still fairly high for many anglers. If you are not comfortable, wait a little longer. Water temperature is already 64 degrees. Mud is an issue on the banks but drying more daily.

347566879_166478656385114_1626887673025083478_n.jpg
Fishing is heating up from Wahpeton to Grand Forks. There are nice catfish to be caught but they are still sluggish from the fast-dropping water levels and fast rising water temperatures. Everything is showing signs of a good bite to start any day based on the picking and pecking of the baits.

The best places to look are just out of the main current from the first drop off to the cutbank. It is taking all of five ounces of sinker to stick. There is still very little bait around so you need to secure some or start catching goldeyes. Don’t forget shrimp is always a bait option.

https://redrivercatfish.com

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You ever try no roll sinkers? 1oz is usually good to hold fast in the Tailrace.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
navigation must get tricky with that much current, a friend warned me RR can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
navigation must get tricky with that much current, a friend warned me RR can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing.
Yeah that's scary. The current below the dam is not to be trifled with and it's a hard bottom...I should've never asked the question.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 sounds about right if you want it to sit still. GF is way quicker about clearing ramps than Fargo.....Although I do remember a valiant effort last year by you to clear them yourself with a shovel and elbow grease!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think where we are right now is pretty easy navigation. flood pushed most of the junk through. It is fast and you have to keep your head and be smart where you anchor but it is really nice out there now.

Any body of water can be dangerous, you should always be a bit on edge and keep your cool.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74