Redneck Bale Blind

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Possibly someone has done this and has a design that works but I would think a major problem with doing a fold up style would be your shooting windows and having a frame that allows this. I built a few folding fish houses in high school and can't wrap my head around how you could fashion stable windows and still collapse.
Are you needing the stabilization of the windows for a gun rest or to keep from movement in the wind? Would it be possible to run a couple extra 2x2's end to end at window height (top and bottom) as the collapsible's used to be? Industrial strength velcro to close and hold windows shut when not in use? Never been in one of those blinds, so I maybe totally out of whack. I did make my share of the old 4x8 s' back in the day. Just a dumb thought perhaps. :)

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you needing the stabilization of the windows for a gun rest or to keep from movement in the wind? Would it be possible to run a couple extra 2x2's end to end at window height (top and bottom) as the collapsible's used to be? Industrial strength velcro to close and hold windows shut when not in use? Never been in one of those blinds, so I maybe totally out of whack. I did make my share of the old 4x8 s' back in the day. Just a dumb thought perhaps. :)
That's my thoughts, why do the windows need stabilization? just a flap that you can open or close with velcro or a hook and loop system would seem sufficient to me. I was thinking of using 3 or 4 of the 2x's like you said anyway. plus you could have some velcro or ties in there to secure the matting to the braces once set up.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of trying to make one of these that will fold up like the old 4x8 fish houses. I'm curious for you guys that have made these how well do you think that erosion material will hold up from the folding and unfolding multiple times? Also if you transport one at highway speed will the material take a beating or do you tarp them?

I doubt the erosion control material will hold up to the folding and unfolding multiple times over and over personally. Also i wouldn't go 70MPH down the interstate with it either. It may hold together but your probably going to loose some straw. My thought was to put it on close to where its going to i don't loose so much of it out in the field.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm talking stabilization for shooting a bow from. I personally like the longer narrow opening's and reinforcing the edges of a window would be key. I don't trust ND forecasts so for me to leave something out for even a few days after losing multiple ground blinds needs to be windproof. Otherwise the next time you make time to go sit in your blind you end up repairing half the damn thing when you should be focused on hunting. I'm all for tinkering and brainstorming new ideas to make my home made jobbers better, just hate doing that while hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33