Reef Runners?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I saw something on here about people loving these cranks. I went out and bought 8 of them and ALL of them run crooked. Are these worth messing with? Take them back? I'm pretty sure that the dude who "tank tests" these is the same knucklehead that tank tests the Flicker Shads....

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reed runners almost never run out of the box... just google super tuning crankbaits and tune them... I check and tune every crank I put in the water and check it every time I reel it up

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little tweaks to left or right. PIA but get em running right but worth it.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely a PIA to get them running right but they work well running deep once they're tuned.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea have to tune them but after you do it a little its a snap. the eye has to be bent in the direction the lure is going. So if the lure wants to run off to the right (looking from the front) you bend the eye slightly that way. I got in the habit of letting out about ten feet of line and testing them every time I let them out. Often times when you catch a fish you have to tune em. They do make a little tool for it. I use my teeth lol. One note however. Don't just let it out and as soon as it goes one direction real it back in. You have to give the lure a couple seconds because these baits naturally go back and forth a few feet each side of the centerline. They hunt so to speak. That's the mistake people make that can't get them tuned. They don't give the lure time to switch directions. If after two or three seconds it is still pulling to the same direction then you know it's out of tune. And if your cranking with the kicker motor make sure your not testing the lure in the prop wash. It totally screws things up.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure you don’t bend it the opposite direction??

QUOTE=eyexer;207720]yea have to tune them but after you do it a little its a snap. the eye has to be bent in the direction the lure is going. So if the lure wants to run off to the right (looking from the front) you bend the eye slightly that way. I got in the habit of letting out about ten feet of line and testing them every time I let them out. Often times when you catch a fish you have to tune em. They do make a little tool for it. I use my teeth lol. One note however. Don't just let it out and as soon as it goes one direction real it back in. You have to give the lure a couple seconds because these baits naturally go back and forth a few feet each side of the centerline. They hunt so to speak. That's the mistake people make that can't get them tuned. They don't give the lure time to switch directions. If after two or three seconds it is still pulling to the same direction then you know it's out of tune. And if your cranking with the kicker motor make sure your not testing the lure in the prop wash. It totally screws things up.[/QUOTE]

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure you don’t bend it the opposite direction??

QUOTE=eyexer;207720]yea have to tune them but after you do it a little its a snap. the eye has to be bent in the direction the lure is going. So if the lure wants to run off to the right (looking from the front) you bend the eye slightly that way. I got in the habit of letting out about ten feet of line and testing them every time I let them out. Often times when you catch a fish you have to tune em. They do make a little tool for it. I use my teeth lol. One note however. Don't just let it out and as soon as it goes one direction real it back in. You have to give the lure a couple seconds because these baits naturally go back and forth a few feet each side of the centerline. They hunt so to speak. That's the mistake people make that can't get them tuned. They don't give the lure time to switch directions. If after two or three seconds it is still pulling to the same direction then you know it's out of tune. And if your cranking with the kicker motor make sure your not testing the lure in the prop wash. It totally screws things up.
[/QUOTE]nope goes in the direction the lure goes. think of it this way. If you look at the eye head on and it's bent to your left the lure will run to it's left or your right. So if your standing in the back of your boat and look at the lure and its bent to your left when you stick that out the left side of your boat it will run away from you. What will happen is the line will tip that crank towards the boat if it's out the left side. This cause the bill to grab and push it to the left. So you bend the eyelet toward the direction it's running. Best way to see this is bend the eyelet so that it's very obvious which way it's tipped. Then stick it in the water and see what it does. A good way to remember this is if the eyelet is bent toward the side of the boat your fishing on it'll run away from you. So out the right side of the boat if it's bent towards the boat the crank runs away. Opposite for left side.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I cast a lure out and start retrieving it, let’s say it’s runs to the right.
Youre telling me that if I’m facing the lure head on, I bend it to the right(same direction).

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I cast a lure out and start retrieving it, let’s say it’s runs to the right.
Youre telling me that if I’m facing the lure head on, I bend it to the right(same direction).
exactly. it's really hard to understand sometimes. here's another way to look at it. Let's say you took a 2" clevis like you would use on a chain or something and tied a rope to the center of the curve of the clevis. Representing the same way you tie to the clevis on the crankbait. Now take that clevis drag it around in the hard. The clevis has to lay the direction your pulling it from Now imagine it was fastened to a board that would represent the lip of the crank. Now imagine how that board will lay when you pull on the clevis with the clevis laying flat on either direction. When a clevis/eyelet on a crank is bent it wants to lay flat in the direction it's leaning. It will only pull straight ahead if the clevis is perfectly perpendicular to the lip. This is the exact reason such a huge percentage of the people that fish reef runners give up and claim they aren't fishable because you can't tune em. They want to bend the opposite direction all the time.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

No, bend it to left. Bend it the way you want it to run.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every video, every article I’ve read before says the opposite of that.
if it’s running right, bend eyelet left.
if it’s running left, bend eyelet right.
that has fixed any crankbait issue I’ve had.

- - -

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch the video if you don't believe me.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes my post showed up before yours somehow, we are on the same side here

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bend it the opposite way it is running.

They are supposed to kick back and forth, they are not meant to just track straight. Go to their website and they have instructions fo correct method. Only need slight adjustments. I very seldom need to adjust them out of the box.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicking back and forth is one thing, running so far one direction to then come out of the water is another. Reef Runners are famous for this out of the box.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
reef runner tuning tool is helpful. Allows minute adjustments. Seems I do better with these verses pliars. Suspicious they intentionally do that so we buy the tool
00100 Reef Runner Tune-A-Fish Tool.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Kicking back and forth is one thing, running so far one direction to then come out of the water is another. Reef Runners are famous for this out of the box.

Stayed away for years because of this.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it runs right, bed it left. If it runs left, bend it right. Aka, bend it the direction you want it to run.

Reefrunners work great, they were the "cool" cranks to use ten years ago. It seems flickershads are the new fad these days. Apparently the walleyes keep up on what's hot, n what's not in lure brands.

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flicker shads and minners are cheaper that's what makes them cool and they work

- - - Updated - - -

Still have to tune them

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52