Replica walleye mount

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who does some good work on replica mounts for walleye around Bismarck? Just curious if anyone has experience getting one done or has a finished walleye that someone has done for them? If you have someone outside of Bismarck that would be fine also.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA is going to do one for me. He's very self-critical, and isn't sure how it's going to turn out, but I have complete faith.

Sounds like it's tough to find a good-looking blank that's the right size though.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Explain to me what a replica mount it? What is it’s purpose? I’m just a dumb welder.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A replica is usually a simply awful cartoonish replica of a real fish that one caught and released. The few decent replicas I’ve seen cost more than taxidermy.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the fish is still out swimming, how can it be considered a trophy if it’s not dead on the wall?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont get yer hopes up Jaykay....itll probly look more like a carp.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a fan of fish mounts. They look good at first, IF done well, but don't last long. Picks>mounts

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Replicas may not be perfect but they do serve a purpose. The fish lives for someone else to catch and the fisherman gets a fish on the wall to remind him/her of the catch. Not a bad deal even if do look to perfect and unrealistic.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
But you can't say " I caught that fish"

Catch it,and if you want a mount, kill it!
For Christs sakes, it's a fish!!!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have experience with a walleye but I do have replica mount of a grayling and an arctic char. (they look great but like Guy said, $$$) They have their place, catch & release areas, slot limits, some people don't want to keep/kill, can't get the fish to a freezer in a timely fashion...lots of reasons. Different strokes.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno...just my opinion. different species need to be hung on a wall differently. Catfish, sharks, 99% of all saltwater species, trout, salmon, and panfish are better as replicas. replica walleyes, however, just dont look as nice as a skin mount. Half the problem is most walleye blanks available are ridiculous looking, and many of them are cast from old mounts, back when it was cool to have a boomerang shaped walleye in yer man cave. Ive seen maybe 2 walleye replicas i liked so far. The worst part is, theres not much price difference in quality. You pay just as much for a shit blank as a decent one. and theres only photos available on maybe a third of the walleye blanks on the market. So most of the time youre ordering blind....you could open that box and find the Brad Pitt of walleyes....or you could end up with Lotney Fratelli.

In my experience so far the replica blank market is a joke, and its primary focus is on dimensions, length n girth accuracy, quality is optional.

Going rates on most replicas are usually 17-22 bucks an inch.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, I caught a nice big fat tagged 32 incher. I have to believe that that fish had been caught before. So, to whomever let it go before, thank you. I returned the favor.

I got no beef with skin mounts, and I have no trouble with people killing a fish to put it on their wall. As far as the replica not being the exact same fish that I caught, I couldn't care less. I'm not proving how tough I am by killing it, or how bleeding heart I am by letting it go. Nor is anyone going to put a tape up to the replica, then look at me funny, saying "this replica is an inch smaller than the real thing? How can you live with yourself?".

I've caught and released a bunch of 25", some 27" and a 29.5" before this one came along. I have been waiting for a 30 for a long time.

Regarding the price of a replica versus a skin mount, I consider neither to be a necessity. Like a corvette, or a big boat, they're something the guy wanted. Like someone said above, different strokes.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
you boys better look up steve silseth!!!! s&s taxidermy!!! this guy does AMAZING work with his hands and camera!!!!! he did the last 2 state record muskie (mushky). Many Montanna record walleye and sauger, And has had a couple n.do. magazine covers with his camera. If you can wait he does AMAZING work. He makes his own molds out of foam how you want them (not bought).

- - - Updated - - -

buy the way you get what you pay for in the replica market!!! way way more work if you want it nice and not painted!!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like said, trout and salmon have good replica looks. I haven't seen a walleye replica worth a shit yet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you boys better look up steve silseth!!!! s&s taxidermy!!! this guy does AMAZING work with his hands and camera!!!!! he did the last 2 state record muskie (mushky). Many Montanna record walleye and sauger, And has had a couple n.do. magazine covers with his camera. If you can wait he does AMAZING work. He makes his own molds out of foam how you want them (not bought).

- - - Updated - - -

buy the way you get what you pay for in the replica market!!! way way more work if you want it nice and not painted!!!

if this is a Steve Silseth then I have to disagree

l_c58a8c79e02278da35c13eb60b4e29e9.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37