Rifle Scope

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nine vortex scopes and have has very good luck with them. I have some inexpensive Diamondback Tactical that are about the best bang for the buck I think. Two are on two of my 6.5 Creedmoors and one is on a bolt action 22 lr. I have the scope your looking at, but I like the Diamondback Tactical better. For another $50 it comes in 6x24 50mm lense.
30 mm tube, 44 or 50mm objective, low turrets, EBR-2C moa reticle, and first focal plane.
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-4-16x44-ffp-riflescope.html

Edit: Thats a good price on the one your looking at. Years ago I paid $450 for the same scope.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nine vortex scopes and have has very good luck with them. I have some inexpensive Diamondback Tactical that are about the best bang for the buck I think. Two are on two of my 6.5 Creedmoors and one is on a bolt action 22 lr. I have the scope your looking at, but I like the Diamondback Tactical better. For another $50 it comes in 6x24 50mm lense.
30 mm tube, 44 or 50mm objective, low turrets, EBR-2C moa reticle, and first focal plane.
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-4-16x44-ffp-riflescope.html

Edit: Thats a good price on the one your looking at. Years ago I paid $450 for the same scope.

This one? Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 EBR-2C FFP Scopes (opticsforce.com)

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be a very nice scope. Good price too. I have a Vortex PST Gen 2 in 5x25 power on my 26 inch barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. The reticle is the same. Some people think the reticle is cluttered, but I never notice it until I want to notice it.

I think Vortex has put more quality into the tactical than the other Diamonbacks.

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, I thought you had issues with 1-2 Vortex scopes?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may want to re-think 6x on the low end. Not sure what your deer hunting style and terrain are like, but you may have trouble at close range. I think 3-15x or 3-18x or similar would be ideal for your stated use.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last two rifle scopes I've purchased have been defective, a Vortex diamondback tactical and a Leopold VX3-HD. Scheels did take care of me without issue both times, but still frustrating spending time and money at the range only to realize your scope is F'd. Thankfully I realized both issues before I ever took them hunting.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ what [MENTION=753]tikka243[/MENTION] has.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a burris veracity 4-20x50 I'd consider parting with for the right price

Edit. For some reason it posted twice

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may want to re-think 6x on the low end. Not sure what your deer hunting style and terrain are like, but you may have trouble at close range. I think 3-15x or 3-18x or similar would be ideal for your stated use.

I have the 6.5-20x44 Viper you mentioned in your original post CatDaddy and I like it. However, I have to agree with SupressYourself that it isn't ideal if you're closer to your target. So it kind of depends on where you're deer hunting. I usually hunt mule deer/whitetail deer in the southwest corner of the state and have no issues.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You used to be able to send in Leupys to their custom shop and "doctor" them up.

Sent more than several in for dots and M1s over the years.

Not sure they do that anymore.

Anymore for me it's Nightforce on pretty much everything.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
low budget voetex here,one issue after 3 years,sport shop i bought it from sent it back for replacement ,no questions asked,turn around time was 5 days,okay glass for what little use it gets,just critters in my back 40.

Vortex,"lifetime warranty" good value.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"issue" doesn't tell us squat about your problems with some of these scopes - or how you discovered them

state some specifics you creatins! :;:howdy

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never spend another penny on Vortex. There is a reason they make it well known they have a lifetime warranty. I have one in the corner of my reloading room that will not stay sighted in. I have had it on multiple guns had different rings bases. Had multiple people mount it on same guns. Sent it in and there great vip warranty department. Says they can’t duplicate the issue and it is not warranted. So I keep it to remind to never buy again

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any suggestions to mount to a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor?

And why are you a fan of Leopold vs. others?

I admit I don't have an abundance of experience with many other brands. I have been very satisfied with my Leopold's, accurate and no problems and when I like something I tend to stick with that and don't experiment much. Maybe I'm too old to not agree with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The rifle I use the most I received for Christmas in 1964, evidence of not changing much. My favorite 12 ga., Browning Auto-5, purchased in the early 60's for about $150 and would have been $160 with rib but my dad thought that was extravagant.

So why Leopold? trustworthy from my experience.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, I thought you had issues with 1-2 Vortex scopes?

I did. I bumped my rifle, not scope. as I put it in the back of my truck. Next time I looked through it there was a dozen black spots. I sent it in and got it back the next week. No matter what brand you buy sooner or later you get a bad one. I had Leupold Mark IV that shot a quarter inch group. Actually it shot two of them. One about b an inch and a half above the other. I put a $27 Bushnell on that I bought in 1977 and it shot one group under .3 inch. The third time they sent a new scope back. I sold it without ever opening the box.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75