Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
192ED4AA-B95E-4660-BD9F-049E9E5530D7.jpg
This is odd looking.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what i need since I'm right handed left eye dominate I will have an extra six maybe a couple thousand extra coming up I will take it

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scoped rifle doesn't make that much of difference which eye is dominant - if they made a shotgun like that, it would be great

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't you close your off hand eye when looking through a scope? if so, eye dominance shouldn't matter should it?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
my eye dominance seems to change at will, built in excuse for misses

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't you close your off hand eye when looking through a scope?

No, I don't voluntarily give up 50% of my FOV and a goodly portion of my depth perception on purpose.

Nor do I relinquish a goodly share of my hand-eye coordination by purposefully eliminating 50% of the vision portion of that equation.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmm... pretty sure i do. although, i haven't really thought about it until today. so, if i didn't and i am the wrong eye dominant, does it affect anything? different with open sights v scope?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF has this to say about dominant eye.

Pass me a ghost-ring rear, you can keep your notch and BB. SO much easier to gun open sights w/both eyes open when gunning an aperture rear very close to your eyes vs. a notch well ahead of them.

Shooting with one eye closed is for people who didn't have a parent teach them to shoot the hand of their dominant eye or haven't learned not to eat their own boogers well into adulthood.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmm... pretty sure i do. although, i haven't really thought about it until today. so, if i didn't and i am the wrong eye dominant, does it affect anything? different with open sights v scope?

Won't effect much shooting with a scope, but you're slower than someone who shoots the same "handed" as their eye dominance because their hands/eyes work together better.

Shotgunning birds is where cross-dominance can be problematic. Closing your off-eye even if you're shooting with your dominant eye will slow you down, reduce your FOV (serious safety issue), and all but eliminate your depth perception making establishing a lead much more difficult.

You ever hunt birds with someone who's LIGHTNING fast and yet claims to be taking his/her time? Their feet, legs, core, arms, hands, and eyes are all in tune with each other. The eyes get the feet planted proper. The legs get the core moving to the right spot, the core gets the arms, shoulders, and head aimed properly, the eyes get the hands in the right spot so that when cheek-weld is established, the shooter just needs to engage the trigger. It's fast, fluid, and yet that shooter will swear up and down that they're taking their time with the shot despite having the bird headed for the ground before others have ID'd the bird as rooster from hen, grouse from hen pheasant, etc. That person is using 100% of their vision.

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF has this to say about dominant eye.

Pass me a ghost-ring rear, you can keep your notch and BB. SO much easier to gun open sights w/both eyes open when gunning an aperture rear very close to your eyes vs. a notch well ahead of them.

Shooting with one eye closed is for people who didn't have a parent teach them to shoot the hand of their dominant eye or haven't learned not to eat their own boogers well into adulthood.

That does sound like something I'd say.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
What in the actual fuc is that abomination?

This topic is persistently upsetting for me. I may need to take a mental health day tomorrow... ;:;banghead

If all you morons that are left-eye dominate would just embrace that fact and shoot left handed like I do, there would be a much larger market for left-handed guns, and we wouldn't be doing goofy shit like the above.
It's really not that hard to learn to run a trigger and a bolt with your left hand. Shooting bow is a little more awkward, but like all things, comes with practice. Shit, I figured it out, and I'm borderline feral.

And for the love of god, please shoot (everything) with both eyes open. You may be surprised what you're missing.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't you close your off hand eye when looking through a scope? if so, eye dominance shouldn't matter should it?
You obviously never had a dad that would smack you on the back of the head every time you closed your off eye. I think I was left eye dominant when learning to shoot as a youngster. I struggled a lot with trying to get my head over far enough to use my left eye and dad would tell me to knock that shit off and use my right eye. So I learned to be right eye dominant and keep my left open.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm so right eye dominant that my left eye has ever needed to be closed. If I ever lost my right eye, I'd be in the hurt bag.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I squint my left eye slightly. It works. I believe the above pic is referred to as cast on. Fairly common for British doubleguns to feature on or off.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm left handed and right eye dominant...wish someone would have taught me to shoot right handed as a kid. 40+ years later it's too late to start. I close my dominant right eye whether I'm shooting a bow, rifle, or shotgun. If I didn't, I wouldn't hit a damn thing. Lucky for me, when I use just my left eye I never miss. :;:thumbsup

I have three kids. All three are right handed. One of them is left eye dominant and she shoots her bow and shotgun left handed because of it and is very comfortable doing so because it's all she's ever known. I'm so glad someone clued me on teaching someone to shoot based on eye dominance rather than hand dominance from the start. All three of my kids can keep both eyes open now when they shoot.

Glad I didn't have to give her one of those crazy looking whatchamacallits in the pic on the first post of this thread. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to teach her to hold it or shoot it and I'd be embarrassed to have her pull it out of the case I think.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am right handed. Shoot absolutely everything, including pool, left handed. It didn't take my dad long to see left eye dominant and fix it. He made sure he checked all my brothers before we shot much of anything. I don't shoot a left handed rifle or shotgun' wouldn't even know how to operate it. I took my shotgun to a gunsmith a few years back and switched the safety around so I didn't have to wrap my hand around the trigger guard to click the safety off. It sucked and I couldn't get used to it so I switched it back. I was able to buy myself a left handed bow when I was a kid. Had to scrape up enough cash to buy a new one because a used left handed one was hard to find. Left handed shit wasn't very common. I can't imagine trying to shoot right handed. It's just natural as heck to shoot left because that's all I know. I think I even fish with the opposite hand. I also paid attention to my kids as they started shooting and 2 out of 3 shoot lefty and are left eye dominant but all are right handed. Coincidence or what?

Fish On!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dirty,

I'm glad you did right for your kids.

You really don't have to close your right eye. Just squint slightly. It's akin to a piece of tape on shooting glasses. Through a rifle scope it truly doesn't make a damn as the prominence of the sight picture overrides dominance.

Does anyone else naturally shut their non-dominant eye when suddenly exposed to harsh sunlight?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be clear, I know i don't close an eye shooting birds. I am also not sure I even close one shooting a rifle. In fact, I am pretty sure I don't. I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed. So, I really didn't give it much thought til this thread. But, I just assumed a left eye dominant fella who shot right handed would have to close an eye shooting at least a rifle. Now I need to go shoot my rifle and see if I close an eye. Probably don't since I am not sure. But, glad this came up. No way I could change at my age. Either way... the more you know...

- - - Updated - - -

Still begs the question, if a fella was taught incorrectly, and was off hand dominant, would he have to close an eye without it affecting things?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am right handed. Shoot absolutely everything, including pool, left handed. It didn't take my dad long to see left eye dominant and fix it. He made sure he checked all my brothers before we shot much of anything. I don't shoot a left handed rifle or shotgun' wouldn't even know how to operate it. I took my shotgun to a gunsmith a few years back and switched the safety around so I didn't have to wrap my hand around the trigger guard to click the safety off. It sucked and I couldn't get used to it so I switched it back. I was able to buy myself a left handed bow when I was a kid. Had to scrape up enough cash to buy a new one because a used left handed one was hard to find. Left handed shit wasn't very common. I can't imagine trying to shoot right handed. It's just natural as heck to shoot left because that's all I know. I think I even fish with the opposite hand. I also paid attention to my kids as they started shooting and 2 out of 3 shoot lefty and are left eye dominant but all are right handed. Coincidence or what?

Fish On!

Out of curiosity, on what side are your reel handles?

IMO; the rod should be controlled with the dominant hand; leaving the off to deal with a simple-assed circular exercise. I've had GREAT FAILURE converting folks to my way of thinking even after seeing missed strikes when the apparatus was unnecessarily being switched hands. It's like retards buying vowels on "Wheel Of Fortune".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33