GUN and scope?

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to build a new rifle; I'm looking at HS Precision or a Roughrider Arms. Does anyone have any recommendations on either of these? I am thinking of the 300 prc or the staying with a 7MM.

Next question there is some many good scopes on the market that trying to make the right decision is messing me up. I'm looking for options on the scope between $1,000 - $2,000 range.

I like to shoot but I'm not the kind of shooter that likes to sit and punch paper. I prefer to move around and shoot at shit in the field or my favorite is to pop balloons at 300 -600 yds or more.

I'm not technical guy I have never had turrets or anything like that and always shot more instinctive.

Advice please

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd stick with a fast twist 7mag.
And do it on a Rem 700 action.

Scope, lots of good options in that price range.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you going to use it for? If it’s a “play-toy”, you might consider a fast twisted hot 24 or 22.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be using it Deer, Elk and Moose. I hunt deer and elk every year with my 7MM and Moose about every 3 years. I've been shooting a .338 AI for Moose but as I have got older and have shoulder that needs to be reattached the .338 has become a pain to shoot and I will not ever have a muzzle break.

I truly love the 7MM but I thought it would be cool to try something else.

Like I said before I am not technical guy when it comes to guns, to me it's just tool like a hammer. I don't know what a fast twist is. I have always just grabbed a gun of the shelf and thrown a Leupold on it, usually in the $1,000 range. I have never had a scope that multiple reticles in it. Always just one. This will be my Legacy gun that my son will get so I'm willing to spend more this time and I want to do it right.

The gun isn't my biggest decision, it's the scope that I'm more unsure of.

I do appreciate the answers but please dumb it down for me. My last 3 rifles have been Christenson and I like them but I'm looking at other options and can always fall back to one of those. Also I'm a big guy a little over 6'8" so getting a gun to fit me has been a problem.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would talk to your gun smith tell him what you want and the use and he can tell you what will work.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would ask what "legacy" gun you want to pass on with/without a chain of shoulder ailments. A .338Win AI is beyond fierce and antithetical to "simple" tastes as is the scope virtue signaling.

As "said" above: Get a M700/M70/M77 action and go from there. The M700 has the most "cache". Both the M70 and 700 were used in Vietnam by snipers. IMO Ruger was never considered in the mix because the company was too "young" and their first offering was a .22 pistol which had the same lines as a German Luger: Now there's a couple ammo companies which will only certify in Rugers and Marlins.

Marlin now makes bolt guns.

That is all.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you like your Christenson’s and want a step up check out Fierce Fire Arms. I have a 6.5 PRC with a night force NX8 and the accuracy unbelievable with factory 147 ELDMs.

Might be a little light caliber wise if this is a regular moose / elk gun but I do know serval folks that do swear by it on elk so I guess it depends on what range you want to be able to kill big game. If a 6.5 PRC is too small for your liking, I’d consider the 300 PRC from my own research. Lots of bullet choices up to and over 200 grains compared to the 7.

Just my two cents. Scope wise, lots of good options. Do you want tactical so you can dial targets or are you more of a hold over guy? Leopold, Nightforce, Zeis, Burris, Swarovski, even the higher end Vortex etc all have good glass. Depends on range you want to shoot, type of reticle, first or second focal plane depending on if you want to be able to hold over or go dialable turrets, illuminated reticle, how much weight, zero stop, and how much power. Do you like lots of magnification or are u a person that can bang steel at 500 yards on 10 power? Lots of questions here.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would ask what "legacy" gun you want to pass on with/without a chain of shoulder ailments. A .338Win AI is beyond fierce and antithetical to "simple" tastes as is the scope virtue signaling.

As "said" above: Get a M700/M70/M77 action and go from there. The M700 has the most "cache". Both the M70 and 700 were used in Vietnam by snipers. IMO Ruger was never considered in the mix because the company was too "young" and their first offering was a .22 pistol which had the same lines as a German Luger: Now there's a couple ammo companies which will only certify in Rugers and Marlins.

Marlin now makes bolt guns.

That is all.
Sorry if I'm "virtue signaling" but I am not to up on my woke language. But hey you do you Princess. Also please don't send me another private message because I was mean to you. Rub some Gyne-Lotrimin and toughen a little bit. Go to your safe space the men are talking.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you everyone for advise. I decided to go with the Rougher rider arms in the .300 PRC with a Night force.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I really appreciate it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rough Rider in Garrison builds some great rifle a few friends have them top notch and HS Precision from Rapid CIty does also I have one and so do few in this group can't go wrong either decision. You did some homework good luck with gun.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry if I'm "virtue signaling" but I am not to up on my woke language. But hey you do you Princess. Also please don't send me another private message because I was mean to you. Rub some Gyne-Lotrimin and toughen a little bit. Go to your safe space the men are talking.
I just don't think you're the "babe in the woods" you're letting on...I've got no beef with you.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you everyone for advise. I decided to go with the Rougher rider arms in the .300 PRC with a Night force.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I really appreciate it.
Not everyone is 6/8. I believe a .300PRC would not harm gigantic clavicles or hit you directly in the buttocks while field dressing. The bullet would probably land in Minnesota, Alberta, Montana or South Dakota.

1697514362161.png

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm going to build a new rifle; I'm looking at HS Precision or a Roughrider Arms. Does anyone have any recommendations on either of these? I am thinking of the 300 prc or the staying with a 7MM.

Next question there is some many good scopes on the market that trying to make the right decision is messing me up. I'm looking for options on the scope between $1,000 - $2,000 range.

I like to shoot but I'm not the kind of shooter that likes to sit and punch paper. I prefer to move around and shoot at shit in the field or my favorite is to pop balloons at 300 -600 yds or more.

I'm not technical guy I have never had turrets or anything like that and always shot more instinctive.

Advice please
You must be a heck of a shot to shoot balloons at 300 to 600 yds. About 40 yrs ago they had a shoot North of Valley City. It was shooting for groups and then they had smaller gongs out to about 500 yds. They also had a balloon shoot at 400 yds. I have never seen so many misses at a target in my life and still today. With a light wind they bounce around like a ball in a pinball machine.

The old saying is, Dont shoot where it is. Shoot where its going to be.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.trijicon.com/products/category/riflescopes?application[]=Hunting
I use this scope only once a year and the illumination is a bright as when I first bought it. For the money and vast majority of their scopes are made in the usa with tritium fiber optics illumination for those shots at first light or the last with great glass and with a price tag which is in your range of 1000 to 2000$

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must be a heck of a shot to shoot balloons at 300 to 600 yds. About 40 yrs ago they had a shoot North of Valley City. It was shooting for groups and then they had smaller gongs out to about 500 yds. They also had a balloon shoot at 400 yds. I have never seen so many misses at a target in my life and still today. With a light wind they bounce around like a ball in a pinball machine.

The old saying is, Dont shoot where it is. Shoot where its going to be.
NO, by no means am I a great shot. I do alright but it was a game my grandpa started me on with a .22 at about 25-50 yds and we just expanded it over time. In High school we started to bet on it by playing for a $1 a shot. On really windy days it gets very hard. When you think about it a fully blown up balloon is about the size of a deer's vitals. I think it actually help me become a better shot at moving game. The winner gets to call the shot (Off hand, prone, sitting etc.) our grandpa had the perfect field for it with a big hill at the end of the field for safety. It's probably why I don't like punching paper. I have missed way more than I have hit. It's now something that my kids love to do, it's kind of like shooting trap but with rifles and even pistols (the pistols are lot closer).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84