Long Range Shooting Best Scope for the Money

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am becoming less and less mobile and am thinking of getting more serious about long range shooting. My main rifle is more than capable of accuracy out 1000 yards (although I've never stretched it that far nor would I in a hunting situation) but I'm currently running an older Leupold VX3 4.5x14.
I'm wondering if I should move to a different scope with turrets or possibly just upgrade to CDS turrets for my VX3. At one point I was considering a Vortex scope but have been steered away from that. So far for new scopes I'm considering Nightforce, Leupold, and Burris. I open to any advice and would love to hear about others experiences with Long range/turret scopes.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leupold:

turrets:
M1’s are $90 each or $135 for both

reticles:
windplex: $70
TMOA or the “TS” style: $160

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on the specifics of your VX-3 (objective size, main tube size) you will need to decide wether investing more or buying a different setup is in your best interest.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother shoots a VX III with CDS Turrets. Longest shot so far for him is 750 yards. I think that you'd be able to go that route for limited investment (I think they are $100 to $150). Just need to figure out your bullet speed and that's easy with a chronograph. (If you don't have one PM me. We can meet up and throw 5-shots through it in a few minutes) The issue people have with CDS Turrets is if you change bullets but I'm assuming you have a bullet the gun likes and you are ready to go with that.

If you are looking for more power I'd go NightForce, spend the money once, and upgrade. You won't be mad you did.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a look at the Swarovski Z5 scopes. Pretty tough to beat for the money.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Schmidt and bender, tangent theata, sig, vortex,Burris, revic, night force ,kahles, Swarovski, maven, us optics . Price and weight will narrow it down alot. If I wasn't married with kids the new tangent theata 3-15 would be on the hunting rifles. It's not a spotter so internals are over all more important than glass. Even junk scopes get you a half hour past sun set.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 3 you’ve mentioned will all have something that will work. You have established you want to get into long range, there are more questions to be answered to steer you in the right direction.

What is the rifle?
what overall weight are you trying to achieve?
What magnifications do you require? (Low and high power, critter size you are after, etc)
Do you handle “busy” reticles well?
Will all long range shots be dialed? Will you use holdovers? Or both?
Mil vs MOA?
Objective size/ bulkiness of the scope. 40 vs 50 vs ? Objective?

These are just some of the things to consider.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
right now im running a VX3 4.5x14 40mm objective 1" tube. Love the scope and it works great, but I would like to be able to stretch my rifles legs so to speak. My rifle is pretty heavy the way it is so a lil extra scope weight isn't the end of the world. Its a trued 700 Rem action, rifle basics trigger, titanium firing pin and and spring, bedded heavy laminated stock, 25.5" Bartlien Hvy sporter barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3 you’ve mentioned will all have something that will work. You have established you want to get into long range, there are more questions to be answered to steer you in the right direction.

What is the rifle? Custom rem 700 LSS
what overall weight are you trying to achieve? Under 12#
What magnifications do you require? (Low and high power, critter size you are after, etc) I'd like to have minimum of 14x top end
Do you handle “busy” reticles well? simpler the better
Will all long range shots be dialed? Will you use holdovers? Or both? would prefer 200 yard 0 and dial
Mil vs MOA? MOA
Objective size/ bulkiness of the scope. 40 vs 50 vs ? Objective? like my current 40mm but wouldn't be opposed to a 50mm

These are just some of the things to consider.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your in the same boat I was 20 years ago, and it hasn't improved. I have an appointment with a surgeon next Tuesday.
I have given up on Leuopold. Loved them in the 1980s, but they have gone down hill
I recommend against cartridge matched turrets unless you always plan on hunting the same elevation, same temperatures, etc. If I want that for a specific day I run a program, wrap my turret with white tape and use fine tip Sharpies to write in my elevations.
You can't go wrong with Nightforce
Next I would recommend Vortex. I have a dozen scopes with mildots, but would trade them all for the newer minute of angle reticles that I have on five Vortex. I really like the 1/4 inch center opening for small targets and long range.
Your chronograph readings may be perfect, but I would recommend after 100 yard sight in to shoot at 800 yards using a program that compensated for latitude, barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, and azmith of shot then another program that will adjust your velocity to match your 800 yard holdover. I have a Nikon that moves the reticle 21.5 inches (If I remember correctly) on a yard stick at 100 yards when I dial 20 inches. I had to add 43 fps to bring my scope and programs into agreement at 1000 yards.

Last edited:

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your in the same boat I was 20 years ago, and it hasn't improved. I have an appointment with a surgeon next Tuesday.
I have given up on Leuopold. Loved them in the 1980s, but they have gone down hill
I recommend against cartridge matched turrets unless you always plan on hunting the same elevation, same temperatures, etc. If I want that for a specific day I run a program, wrap my turret with white tape and use fine tip Sharpies to write in my elevations.
You can't go wrong with Nightforce
Next I would recommend Vortex. I have a dozen scopes with mildots, but would trade them all for the newer minute of angle reticles that I have on five Vortex. I really like the 1/4 inch center opening for small targets and long range.
Your chronograph readings may be perfect, but I would recommend after 100 yard sight in to shoot at 800 yards using a program that compensated for latitude, barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, and azmith of shot then another program that will adjust your velocity to match your 800 yard holdover. I have a Nikon that moves the reticle 21.5 inches (If I remember correctly) on a yard stick at 100 yards when I dial 20 inches. I had to add 43 fps to bring my scope and programs into agreement at 1000 yards.

So many variables! So you have had good luck with Vortex? Do their turrets track true? I have buddies that have vortex Binoculars and spotters and the clarity is great but I have heard rumors of their scopes not tracking true.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been getting excellent accuracy out of my 7mm Mag with Hornady 162gr ELDs so I was thinking the CDS turrets wouldn't be a bad option BUT.... I do some hunting in the mountains although that will probably be less and less

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't speak for real long distance shooting with my vortex viper PST 6-24 x 50, but last fall i ranged, dialed in and killed a yote at 450 yards. This summer I'm hoping to get out and test out to 1000 but I gotta find the time first

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cartridge match turrets work fine even in elevation change with today's technology. Quick ballistic program makes quick work of this. Quick change on the fly is easier an printing new dial sheets and manually clicking through a scope.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buckmaster the worst tracking for me was the old Nikons. They have got better but everything else beats them. Leuopold tracks true, but my rifles don't group well with them. I had two Mark IN that a 30 year old cheap Bushnell would outshoot both.
Right here in North Dakota weather variables will make you.miss a coyote beyond 600 yards. Aight in when it's nice out and about 75 degrees then take a shot at a coyote when it's zero in December and you going to shoot under. Some of the powders we reload with these days will partially compensate.
The nice thing about the minute of angle reticles is the ability to measure if you have a laser range finder. Let's say you range a deer at 850 yards. You look through your scope and his outside spread is 2.5 minutes of angle. Multiply that 2.5 x hundreds of yards 8.5 and you know he is about 21.25 inches outside spread. Also most deer ate approximately 18 inches through the chest. If he looks like 2.5 minutes of angle through the chest divide 18 by 2.5 and he is 720 yards. On foggy, or rainy, or snowy days that the laser range finder can't handle it may get your deer.
Dollar for dollar the PST first focal plain is the scope for me.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buckmaster the worst tracking for me was the old Nikons. They have got better but everything else beats them. Leuopold tracks true, but my rifles don't group well with them. I had two Mark IN that a 30 year old cheap Bushnell would outshoot both.
Right here in North Dakota weather variables will make you.miss a coyote beyond 600 yards. Aight in when it's nice out and about 75 degrees then take a shot at a coyote when it's zero in December and you going to shoot under. Some of the powders we reload with these days will partially compensate.
The nice thing about the minute of angle reticles is the ability to measure if you have a laser range finder. Let's say you range a deer at 850 yards. You look through your scope and his outside spread is 2.5 minutes of angle. Multiply that 2.5 x hundreds of yards 8.5 and you know he is about 21.25 inches outside spread. Also most deer ate approximately 18 inches through the chest. If he looks like 2.5 minutes of angle through the chest divide 18 by 2.5 and he is 720 yards. On foggy, or rainy, or snowy days that the laser range finder can't handle it may get your deer.
Dollar for dollar the PST first focal plain is the scope for me.

:;:exactly:;:imwithstupid
I'm with Prairie on this. MOA and FFP if possible. I've also had no problems with my 3 Vortex scopes but feel nightforce is another option. I have no experience with other scopes but I'm sure there are some good ones.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
been running the vortex hslr 6-24 x 50 for five years love the xlr reticle its ffp. It has tracked true for me. Know of 2 hst that hill to 1150 with 7 mags. Mill or moa dont matter just pick one and use it. If you are spending razor money look at the amg. Its vortex american made scope

- - - Updated - - -

I like christmas tree reticles. I hold for wind always

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The vipers are decent, but "decent" won't always do long range consistently. I've read a number of reviews on the various long range scopes, and nearly all of them (with the exception of some nightforce) have tracking issues. I was looking at the vortex scopes at first, but soon realized that I'd have to go up to the razor to get the performance that I wanted at the price I didn't want to spend.

In the end, I settled on the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18. It's only $200-300 more than the viper and is better quality overall. The test showed that it tracked more consistently as well.

I have the exact same scope that you're using, and I don't like going out past 600-700 yards. I'd definitely go up to 18 or 25 power. If you are looking at the Swarovski Z5 line just keep in mind that you only get one revolution with the elevation turret. It was something like 56 MOA with the 18 power and 45-48 MOA with the 25 power. A 20 MOA base and a 300 yard zero will still leave you with plenty of room to reach out and touch something. You could go up to the Z6 line and get more MOA, but they cost significantly more.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the other thing that keeps people from doing long range consistently is practice or lack there of

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was me, I would move your current scope to a different rifle, and look for a new one. I would definitely be adding a 20 MOA rail/mount as ndbowhunter stated. After that, you need to decide what will fit your needs. There is a scope out there for every application. Your budget will be a large factor. Don’t forget to save some money for gun powder. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90