Sakakawea Pike

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think it will still be doable to drive 4-wheeler on sak this weekend?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think it will still be doable to drive 4-wheeler on sak this weekend?

I would guess "Yes" as long as you are selective about where you leave the shoreline. Find a high spot. And then just go really fast when driving off.

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably the company you keep.

Perhaps, but the person I went with last year is too whipped to go this year.

Last edited:

Redneck1

Doesn't the water temp play a factor and have to increase for fish to spawn even under the ice? Well still be able to drive on the ice for another week or so won't we?

Levitan

Last year was my first year on Sak. Caught a bunch of 15-17 pounders. I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking it was about one year ago this week and it was 100% open water. When do you guys think it'll be thawed out at least 100 yards from shore? I want to get back up there. Thanks

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
end of next week I would imagine with these temps and wind some of the bays should start to open up

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't the water temp play a factor and have to increase for fish to spawn even under the ice? Well still be able to drive on the ice for another week or so won't we?
Pike spawn when water is around 40° in shallow vegetation in back bays. The females will start staging for spawn below the ice, but typically they don’t start dropping eggs until just after ice out

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last Saturday, the ice along the shorelines was getting bad, as in careful where you walk. I would imagine this weekend better have some long boards with, especially for getting back off in the afternoon. The ice once 10-15 yards off shore was still solid and 25+" back in the bays. I don't think I would drive an ATV on this weekend, especially back in the bays where there is unpredictable currents with the runoff.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish have had problems in years past with pike spawning below the ice making it tough for them to get the eggs they need so you have to believe this year will be one of them. As for ice it has gone to shit in just a couple days on anything that has remotely shallow water with a dark bottom. Combine the ice getting crapy with rising water levels and you have the makings for some tricky shore ice. With our forecast the lakes are probably going to set some sort of record for going from great ice to no ice in the blink of an eye.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A friend of mine caught 2 females last weekend on Sak that were already spawned out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31